Sign in to follow this  
SUNDR1V3R

RTX3090, how would MSFS 2020 RUN?

1 hour ago, ivng said:

I can confirm that I was able to get a 5600x to OC to 4.5GHz on all cores.

Pretty useless overclock because PBO boosts dynamically few cores at a time to 4.6GHz - ie: single core performance is better at stock boost speeds. 

Decided not to overclock afterall.

Unless the sim takes full advantage of the extra cores (which at present it clearly doesnt) I don't think there is any point in doing an all core overclock. Especially if PBO is going to give a faster single core speed. Just ensure that the environment is right to keep PBO running at the maximum available sustained speed. (Temps, Voltage etc).

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

My RTX3090 FTW3 arrives this afternoon.  With a little luck, I'll get it installed and see how it runs!  Currently 4k, on High (some other mixed in variables) is 25-35fps, as high as 48 and as low as 10.  Curious to see what I get on High, and if I can run ULTRA consistently above 30fps.  

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

On 12/20/2020 at 3:28 PM, penta_a said:

Wow, just 30 fps, drops even to 25 at times. Is that because of 4K? How many fps would we gain with the 3090 at 1080p or 2K? Could we expect siginificant more fps at the same settings?

Avsim is pretty much the only place on the planet where people argue in favour of frame rates less than 60. 144 FPS, chaps, that’s what the wider world now considers normal for gaming. 

And we’re pleased with our 24 FPS sims in a thread discussing the $3000 GPUs that we use to achieve this! 😊

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

If DX12 can't offload a bunch of tasks to the GPU we are stuck with this.

In the mean time I'll occasionally continue to play other AAA games at insane frame rates - just to justify (in my head anyway) the stupid price I paid for my 3090 😭

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

46 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Avsim is pretty much the only place on the planet where people argue in favour of frame rates less than 60. 144 FPS, chaps, that’s what the wider world now considers normal for gaming.

The average gamer may be able to afford a 4K 144hz monitor but is unlikely to have a graphic card to match and I doubt they achieve 144 fps in most games other than Esports or Minecraft.

Even for 3090 owners, Cyperpunk 2077 is coming in at 22 FPS at 4K on a 3090 with everything turned up, and cannot break 60 fps even when using DLSS ...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76651/cyberpunk-2077-at-4k-on-1499-geforce-rtx-3090-just-22fps-average/index.html

76651_06_cyberpunk-2077-at-4k-on-1499-ge

Overall the 3090 seems to give respectable 4K numbers (100 FPS plus and sometimes double that) in most older games however people with 144hz 4K monitor and something like a rtx2060 or perhaps a 1080ti, they are really only getting epeen/street cred and in many games are getting no real benefit from the fast screen.  To sustain 144 fps they are most likely going to be winding back to 1440p or even 1080p, assuming they can get to 144fps at all.

TLDR - 4K 144hz screens are relatively cheap, especially in smaller sizes BUT the GPU to consistently run that resolution and frame rate is beyond the average gamers budget

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

1 hour ago, 737_800 said:

Wow, just 30 fps, drops even to 25 at times. Is that because of 4K? How many fps would we gain with the 3090 at 1080p or 2K? Could we expect siginificant more fps at the same settings?

Probably not much as you'd be CPU bound anyway at those settings.

The higher end cards really don't increase FPS much at all at under 4k and only really give you better FPS when you staring increasing rez and AA/AF which are all managed by the GPU.

• Like 3

Chris Camp

On 12/21/2020 at 2:41 PM, hanhamreds said:

so now I've sorted out my performance issue I'm seeing temps of about 65, with GPU load @ 50-55% running Ultra @1440P.

Still main thread limited but reaching out to Scan for them to share my OC settings on my Rog Strix x570 after a BIOS reset happened during the new GPU install - so hopefully still some wiggle room there. 

For Ryzen user's or anyone with real world experience - Currently I'm running up to 4.3Mhz on all cores, but I've heard this can hurt single core performance, anyone have any thoughts on this, or has done tests on leaving at stock speeds vs all core OC and the affect on MSFS performance?

I've had R9 3900X and now R9 5900X. Overclocking on all cores is not that useful. With Ryzen it seems XMP / DOCP is much more suitable. Your RAM will be clocked right, FCLK will be set 1:1, and the cores will boost to their ability automatically. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 12/9/2020 at 6:52 AM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The difference between 3090 and 2080ti, in reality, is actually quite a lot. I went from a 2080ti, and, putting FPS aside, it’s way smoother. 

I may upgrade if needed for VR when it is released...I don't fly non-VR anyway so msfs2020 collecting dust while I fly aerofly fs2...best VR sim out there with orbx scenery packs. 

What kind of vram does MSFS use up at 4k all the texture settings max? Is the 3080 10gb enough or do 3090 users see it go higher than that?

I run at 30 fps at the moment and consider it smooth, but I have tried 60 fps in spells (where I can) and it does seem smoother; almost unnaturally smooth if you are used to 30 - a bit like one of those high speed movies :biggrin:.

I am hoping that with the arrival of DX12, a 3080 Super / 3090 would be able to hit the magic 60 fps at 4k and decent (ultra) settings.  Although by then (Summer 2021), the Nvidia RTX4000 series may be with us. 

Two things here though, 'Summer 2021' can be as late as 21st of September I believe, and also, will we be able to find the RTX4000 series even, based on what has happened with 3000 series?

The 'internet' sages are predicting a 'hardware shortage' (CPU's and GPU's' this year, although that isn't hard to predict.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

29 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Although by then (Summer 2021), the Nvidia RTX4000 series may be with us.

Both Lovelace and RDNA 3 should be arriving in H1 2022, but certainly not in 2021. Though if by summer we can finally have GPUs in stock at MSRP, it would be a generation's worth of improvement. PC gaming is at its worst right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Both Lovelace and RDNA 3 should be arriving in H1 2022, but certainly not in 2021. Though if by summer we can finally have GPUs in stock at MSRP, it would be a generation's worth of improvement. PC gaming is at its worst right now.

Yes I think you are right CB, I would expect the same.  It is just that a few internet tech commentators are thinking that Nvidia, scared of losing their crown to AMD, and being told ray-tracing speed still isn't quite there yet, may pull out all the stops and try to get 40xx out late this year to get the jump on AMD. 

But 1. I am not sure if they can do it that early from a technical and manufacturing perspective, and 2. we haven't seen the full development of the 30xx series yet, never mind the return on investment for Nvidia (although if they are selling every one they can produce, I suppose they must be fairly happy).

One thing is for sure, AMD are pushing Intel and Nvidia on both the CPU and GPU front, and that is definitely helping to speed up innovation / development. 
It is a great example of what proper competition can do.  Now, if we could only stop those blasted bitcoin miners! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I gave up waiting for my preferred option and jumped on a 3090, I could see what with brexit and stock levels after Christmas that any pre Xmas hesitation would mean more weeks/months delay.

So absolutely no regrets and if you are thinking a 4000 series GPU is going to help with performance in MSFS you are in for some disappointment IMO - at least until Asobo manage to optimise and offload a bunch of tasks to the GPU, personally I think we will always be chasing CPU performance here - nothing ever changes in the flight sim world.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, riverreveal said:

What kind of vram does MSFS use up at 4k all the texture settings max? Is the 3080 10gb enough or do 3090 users see it go higher than that?

I saw 13.5GB being used recently, running at 1440p, might have been at 120% res scaling but I can’t remember.