Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

December 17th, 2020 - Development Update

20 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

So, I've never experienced VR. To those that have...is it as jerky as that video appears? Also...how it the FOV? Typical human FOV is around 170-ish degrees. Anything close to that with VR?

I can't comment specific on MSFS as we're under NDA. However, it comes down to finding proper settings. You gain the unbelievable feeling to really sit in a plane and look around (at least I do feel that way, notably on approach) which you have to trade off against reducing certain settings. You can't expect the same settings you use in 2D to work fluently under VR. This appplies to any simulator (except AeroflyFS2, which, however, is lacking many other features from MSFS).

I did most of my flying in MSFS under VR (HP Reverb 1) since I was admitted to the beta and enjoyed it.

One urgent recommendation to anyone interested in VR: Try to get a possibility for a longer session somewhere to see if it's for you. A few minutes in a shop do not work. I was lend a headset from my son for some time, only then I knew it works for me.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 9

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Bring back clouds Previous to Update 5 - Fixed - Sim Update II - hit my eyes.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

I am not even sure what this means....did they change the clouds in one of the past updates??  I'm not sure I have even noticed if they did...??🤔

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I am not even sure what this means....did they change the clouds in one of the past updates??  I'm not sure I have even noticed if they did...??🤔

yes clouds are far worse after patch 5.... you have to fly often and on different levels to see differences 

14 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Yes, a new cloud rendering system was implemented with the 1.10.7.0 patch, which made the clouds look very grainy and pixelated in some circumstances, and completely broke them for some older NVIDIA GPUs, causing them to flash on the screen.

This was not documented in the patch notes, we found out when support explained the incompatibility. Initially it was suggested that there wouldn't be a fix for this issue moving forward, but as the amount of complaints kept growing, I guess they changed their mind.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

So, I've never experienced VR. To those that have...is it as jerky as that video appears? Also...how it the FOV? Typical human FOV is around 170-ish degrees. Anything close to that with VR?

FOV in VR is around 100 degrees, so no peripheral view. It will always be like wearing some kind of goggles or glasses. But if you fly the Pitts its like wearing wind goggles, and thats a plus 😎 The experience of being in the cockpit, is unprecedented though. No 2D screen can ever do that. The jerkiness I guess is because of the recording software.

Edited by Gerwil
  • Like 2

All I can tell you is that for years and years I have been a triple monitor guy.  Over the summer while visiting, I first experienced VR flight on my brother's Rift S with default xplane11.  I don't care how many monitors, or third party cockpit  hardware pieces you own, once you try it,  you'll get that there is no substitution for emersion.  Your  static surrounds of your room and CPU are gone, you are IN the plane.   First off, monitors regardless or the resolution are like looking at 2D thru a group of windows.  In VR, it is truly 3D.  You are in the plane.  Your  proximity to the instrument  panel, the wing, the ground, and that big jet sitting over there, size and distance become real.  I'll end with when I parked the 172 on my brother's system, he and his wife were  laughing at me trying to duck under the wing when getting out of the plane, and not sure where to step  to reach the ground on the tarmac. Until you try it, you have NO IDEA.....   I now own an underpowered computer that I will upgrade this year for my new HP Reverb G2 (already having intro fun with VR in general, particularly Project Cars 2....) and cannot wait to do the same with MSFS.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

if implemented right, this will be hard to beat,

can't wait.

Edited by christb
  • Like 1

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

How do you handle the controls in a flightsim VR? Do you have to feel around for everything and hope you hit the right button?

James

3 hours ago, Phantoms said:

How do you handle the controls in a flightsim VR? Do you have to feel around for everything and hope you hit the right button?

Very interessted in the answer to this question, too 

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, Phantoms said:

It doesn't take long before you memorise where all the buttons are. 

Looks like perfect timing for me, the Reverb G2 will be with me on the 29th 🙂

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

My main interest was the in-headset panels and whether that creates a method for external info to be brought in, like approach plate PDFs or route notes.  Anyone know? I haven't flown more than 30 mins MSFS as I can't get on with non VR, so been waiting for this moment.

dockpanels.jpg

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

Hell..

Mirrored textures in 747 and 787 not 

planned; what happens here...

Unbelivibel if they leave it like that,

if so , what a shame Asobo.

For me one off the important thing to fix,

should be done a long time ago  😔

Real sad for me if it goes this way..

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I just watched the VR video, oh boy I feel like getting a VR headset sooner than expected! lol. But I'd wait and see some feedback from folks with the VR on the VR experience on MSFS

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super