Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

VR Benchmarks for nVidia Drivers

See guys, persistance.

It can get frustrating at times, but after constant nagging and documenting the problem with data, NVIDIA is now investigating and acknowledging that something is wrong.

47 minutes ago, RXP said:

@Manuel_NVIDIA Thank you for coming forward and directly letting us know about what you're doing to help, it is much appreciated!

I'd like to make a suggestion: I've published 3 guides meant to help other simmers getting the most of their NVidia hardware with FS2020.

The problem with these guides is that you tested only the RTX 2070.

Multiple users on the official forum confirmed that the latest drivers give the best results with RTX 3000 series, while RTX 2000 owners had the usual problems and rolled back to 457.30:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/nvidia-461-92-drivers-released/379674/12

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

7 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

The problem with these guides is that you tested only the RTX 2070.

Multiple users on the official forum confirmed that the latest drivers give the best results with RTX 3000 series, while RTX 2000 owners had the usual problems and rolled back to 457.30:

I've seen conflicting reports about 461.92 vs 457.30 and 20xx vs 30xx so far, with a slight advantage to the latest driver for 30xx indeed.

So far, people with far different CPUs and GPUs are reporting these guides are helping them a lot in achieving smoothness, especially in VR. There must be some NVidia/Win10 settings truth in them but it might also just be true for FS2020 only. I'm thinking of this particularly in light of Manuel's comments about how they are finding FS2020 behaving not like the other games.

This is why I'm making the suggestion, so that it helps other simmers knowing and understanding what NVidia/Win10 settings are known, by Nvidia recommendations, to have a positive impact to their experience in general, and for FS2020 in particular, and what other settings if any are not having any impact whatsoever, including what is most significant for 30XX vs 20XX.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

17 minutes ago, RXP said:

I've seen conflicting reports about 461.92 vs 457.30 and 20xx vs 30xx so far, with a slight advantage to the latest driver for 30xx indeed.

So far, people with far different CPUs and GPUs are reporting these guides are helping them a lot in achieving smoothness, especially in VR. There must be some NVidia/Win10 settings truth in them but it might also just be true for FS2020 only. I'm thinking of this particularly in light of Manuel's comments about how they are finding FS2020 behaving not like the other games.

This is why I'm making the suggestion, so that it helps other simmers knowing and understanding what NVidia/Win10 settings are known, by Nvidia recommendations, to have a positive impact to their experience in general, and for FS2020 in particular, and what other settings if any are not having any impact whatsoever, including what is most significant for 30XX vs 20XX.

Sure, I also used these guides 🙂 I didn't mean they are not useful indeed, only that the suggestions have now to be weighted considering in the scenario drivers 461.92 and the fact that nVidia may be already neglecting Turing in their drivers development.

As for FS, I believe it is different from other games because even in 4K, even in VR at crazy resolutions and with last gen CPUs, can still be CPU bottlenecked sometimes. This, along with the fact that nVidia GPUs (or drivers?) seem to have a much bigger CPU overhead than AMD, contributes to the stuttering issues that many people have.

If I were an nVidia driver developer I would specifically look into this: 

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

@Manuel_NVIDIA Many thanks for asking for help regarding this MSF2020 nVidia Driver issue, I have done as requested and sent the e-mail off, if there's anything else I can do please do not hesitate to ask 🙂

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Gonna test the 461.92 driver today I’ll report back

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

Gonna test the 461.92 driver today I’ll report back

Any good? 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Any good? 

Ok so here goes....

Did a clean install of 461.92.

1st Session (Icon A5 @Miami International) As its a combo I can continually remember and base performance off consistantly.

Jumped into the sim without tweaking any Oculus Debug nor Nvidia CP options.

Horrible "ASW Water Wobble", longer pre flight loading times with hour glass constantly showing up.

Still a stuttery wobbly mess without my debug override.

2nd Session( Icon A5 @Miami International)

Went ahead and ran my Oculus Debug Tool Bat file (works best for minimizing my water wobbly image issue and pixel override cleans my image up really well with 100 TAA in sim)

server:asw.clock30
service set-pixels-per-display-pixel-override 1.2

No hour glass at all at pre flight loading screen and much shorter loading time.

Much smoother experience much less stutter, I can now relax and actually enjoy the scenery and smoothness over Miami.

Still noticing the occasional stutter jump when looking down at buildings I'm passing.

3rd Session(Icon A5 @Miami International)

I decided to try these Nvidia Control Panel Settings that were posted on the other forums.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-3-issues-i-found-some-fixes-that-really-smoothed-it-out/378940

Same for loading screen no hourglass showing up at all and same short loading time as 2nd session.

Even smoother flight over Miami than 2nd session almost no image wobble and I have to look really hard to see stutter flying past terrain buildings and objects.

I can now enjoy my flight over Miami much more relaxed and take everything in.

In my experience I would say yes the latest driver is giving me a smoother experience than ole faithful 457.30 driver.

As Miami International was a stuttery mess and a total NO GO for me before this latest driver. 

I'll be keeping this latest driver.

Remember my hardware specs below...so results may differ on later 2k/3k RTX GPUs.

Here are my in sim settings

https://imgur.com/gallery/NzqBMqO

https://imgur.com/gallery/JB3CdUb

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

Tried 461.92 up from 457.30 on my 3090.  Seemed worse (HAGS on or off).  Went back to 457.30

The new one also introduced a new bug where the VR view would sometimes be very dark.  Not sure if it's the driver or MSFS bugs.

Anyway, I took the logs as requested by Nvidia and sent then to Mr. Guzman at Nvidia.

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

running MSFS with my new G2 reverb and a 2080ti and the OXR tool (reprojection is off) and been trying to 

tune MSFS to get the best VR performance.........

have started using the OXR display frame timing overlay (which looks to be a sort of VR FPS counter?)

just wondering what everything in the display actually means? (can see 3 sets of numbers next to app,pre,post and also compositor type) what are the ones to pay attention to? (VR FPS would be what number exactly?)

also I noticed that the background of my counter often displays in red (presume bad?) what is this signifying and how can I improve this?(note already running with reprojection off as was getting stutters)

any help appreciated......?

Done a bit of testing on older drivers with my 2080ti just out of couriousity as someone mentioned the 441 drivers working well. Findings as follows, haven’t tested extensively but working fine in 441.87 (the top one) in the rift s headset.

How a driver released Jan 2020 before msfs and VR is getting more fps than tha latest does make you wonder?

I know the newer drivers will perform differently for the 2000 Turing Vs 3000 Ampere and there will be other enhancements for newer titles meaning this isn’t for everyone but as I mainly use my pc for msfs in vr

I may go back and use an older driver (441.87) with my 2080ti. VR testing in the headset to be carried out further.

I’ve tested a little and found that reflections and light boom aren’t as factored in or prominent in older drivers, I think it may be this which is causing some of the fps loss in older newer versions as they take better advantage of driver improvements.

All the same flight weather time with 120secs recorded as a snapshot. Reboot after each driver install and nothing other than Oculus and monitoring program running.

image-2.png

@Benrb7@Ianrivaldosmith@RXP@MrFuzzy

I wonder if this latest hotfix patch will benefit the latest 461 driver more than ole faithful 457 now?

I'll give it a try tonight.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

57 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

@Benrb7@Ianrivaldosmith@RXP@MrFuzzy

I wonder if this latest hotfix patch will benefit the latest 461 driver more than ole faithful 457 now?

I'll give it a try tonight.

I hope so for your glorious 1080 Ti but it seems that even Turing has been left behind and basically every person who claims better performance with 461.92 drivers has an RTX 3000 series.

Try anyway, it's just a 10 minutes test.

• Like 1

First jump in the new update using 457 drivers. Smoothed the sim has ever been. Not sure what they’ve done! 

• Like 2