Sign in to follow this  
EGLD

Sunrise/Sunset brightness

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but when using live weather and times, the sunrise/sunset brightness seem miles off in the UK? haven't checked anywhere else

Below is a screenshot of the UK right now in MSFS (I checked time and date is correct) and a live shot of Manchester airport, which is actually the level of light in the UK at 07.50 today

Va4Tns3.png

Xpvw4gH.png

• Like 2

I have observed something similar myself, not only in the UK, and it has already been reported - in such a case, send exactly the 2 screenshots to ZenDesk and report them as a bug - otherwise nothing will happen.

BR

• Like 4

Core i9 10920X@ 4.7 Ghz, watercooled, GeForce RTX 3090, RAM 64GB G SKILL DDR4-3200 , Fractal Design R6, TUF X299 Mark 1, all SSD

So the first shot is sunrise, about 8am, and the second is at 7:50am?

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, it's another one of those things that is a bit off.  It goes dark quickly but then stays in twilight for too long as well.

I like to fool airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio!

Intel Core I7 8086 @ 5.1 GHz with water cooling, GTX1080Ti, 32 GB RAM @ 3600 MHz, 2 x Samsung 1 TB NVME M.2.

3 minutes ago, gboz said:

So the first shot is sunrise, about 8am, and the second is at 7:50am?

both taken at the same time

• Like 1

Yup, same in S. Africa. Far from accurate day/night transitions using real time settings. We are talking hours, not minutes. Twilight/orange glow on horizons and a light sky that last several hours after it should be pitch black. Does not bother me too much but it can be mildly annoying if you fire up the sim for an early morning flight and end up doing the entire flight in the dark. Means you have to advance the time about 2+ hours to match reality. Then what's the point of the real time option though?

• Like 2

GregH

System Spec: Core i7 6700K @ 4,7GHz; GTX980Ti, 16GB DDR4 3000; WD Black NVMe; Samsung EVO850 SSD; CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; TrackIR; 1440p

I personally find the sunset to be too orange in colour like an Instagram sunset where in the U.K. that doesn’t feel accurate 9 times out of 10 although, I still think it looks fantastic and I imagine it would be very difficult to simulate the accuracy we want it is worth mentioning.

• Like 2

But with me the twilight stays all night!

Do you have that too? there is no night in MFS!

We can see the ground it's never dark it's permanently in twilight with too much light at midnight 2am 3am ...

I7 10700K 4,8 GHz / MSI GTX 1080 8 Go / MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus / Corsair 32 Go de RAM 3200 MHz / SSD Samsung 850 EVO 250Go.

1 hour ago, Carts85 said:

I personally find the sunset to be too orange in colour like an Instagram sunset where in the U.K. that doesn’t feel accurate 9 times out of 10 although, I still think it looks fantastic and I imagine it would be very difficult to simulate the accuracy we want it is worth mentioning.

I find the default game is over saturated and over sharp and sometimes looks like something out of Jumanji rather than the real world 😄

There is a setting to turn the saturation on and off in UserCfg.opt called Colorgrading which defaults to 1 (ON). I have set mine to zero (OFF) but many people find that a bit too washed out.

{PostProcess
        Enabled 1
        EyeAdaptation 1
        ColorGrading 0
        Sharpen 1
        Fringe 1
        LensDistortion 0

Note that if you make any in game setting changes the game will probably revert it back to 1 (turned on) the next time you play .  You can make the file read only but then the game never remembers any changes you made in game.

The short Budapest clip below is done with Colorgrading OFF ...  you will notice it is far less saturated than the normal game. I personally prefer it like this as I find it more realistic and less "cartoony" but not everyone likes it.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

I imagine it would be very difficult to simulate the accuracy we want it is worth mentioning.

I've always thought that daylight, much like the stars in the sky, is either right or not - it's based on well understood physics and so I assumed, I guess wrongly, that it's a straightforward thing to get right

Colours, I agree - can be subjective, but the earth is a certain size, it's round, we know where we are in relation to our sun, and so daylight phases should be straightforward to fix hopefully!

• Like 1

Is this perhaps a time zone issue?  I seem to note that the light level is the same throughout a time zone.  Here in the USA, looking at a map, that is a wide area from say Boston, Ma. to Terre Haute, Indiana.  Or from Gary, Indiana (central time) to Garden City, Kansas.  Gary could be late dusk and Garden City still pretty bright.

Frank Patton
MSI Z490 WiFi MOB;  i7 10700k Comet Lake 3.8 Ghz CPU; Ripjaws 32 gb DDR4 3600; ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo 8GB; MasterCase H500M; Corsair H100i Pro cooler; Corsair RMX850X PSU; ASUS VG289 4K 27"; Honeycomb Alpha Yoke A+.  Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126 
                        There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett

2 hours ago, Axis3600 said:

But with me the twilight stays all night!

Do you have that too? there is no night in MFS!

We can see the ground it's never dark it's permanently in twilight with too much light at midnight 2am 3am ...

Your screen might be too bright. 

The thickness of the cloud layers can cause that issue and it has been around for a while although I do think they improved it a bit from the Alphas. My big issue is the never-ending 'twilight'.  It just never gets dark and it is more obvious the higher you fly.  It's almost like you have reached into outer space instead of FL 390.....

• Like 1

Eric

P3D v5 & MSFS   i7-6700k @ 4.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080ti, 32GB ddr4 RAM, 1TB EVO 850 SSD, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 10

2 hours ago, EGLD said:

Colours, I agree - can be subjective

I think that’s the issue there, plus the complexity of what happens when a beam of sunlight hits the atmosphere and how our eyes process that colour, not to mention the various different monitors we use to display that colour. I’m no meteorologist but I’m sure it’s very complex and simulating that on a home PC must be a challenge am sure.