Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Working Title is joining the MSFS 2020 Team

Congratulations to WT, and mark my words:

I'm sure this will be a start of many great things for you. Our cooperation with Microsoft, which dates back to 2006 and lead to what was the most detailed default airplane for FSX ( the F/A-18 ), basically kickstarted FSDT, and lead to some of our people quitting their old job, moving to other countries, changing their lives...

Also, be prepared to be pestered ( we pest Asobo every other day...) by me with requests for interfaces, features, simconnect suggestions, since we all want to be sure what will surely be the best default airplanes for MSFS 2020 will be properly served and nicely integrated with a certain popular and upcoming "ground services" add-on...

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 13

Just a quick note on our SDK work,

Our primary focus on that end will most likely be fleshing out, documenting, framework-ifying, and otherwise making super awesome to use the HTML/JS side of the SDK. It's no secret that I really believe in that stack, and we all feel a healthy investment in it can only serve to democratize the platform, reduce development costs for third parties in the long term, and open up the sim to the next wave of amazing engineers and designers. And I believe we can build something that guides developers into success, by making standard the patterns that are not normally obvious for writing high performance code in garbage collected languages. I'd love to put the performance comparisons to bed.

I'm sure the WASM side will benefit from some of these concepts (and I have some ideas there too ;-)), but that probably won't be our main area of work, at least in the beginning.

-Matt

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Congrats and good luck Matt! 👍

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

A question @MattNischan, from what I understood, you guys are starting the company WT that has a contract with Microsoft to work on MSFS, very similar to Asobo, Meteorblue, Orbx, Gaya .. etc, having said that, will your contract with Microsoft allow guys to start payware projects as sideline projects or all of you have to be 100% committed into the development of MSFS? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

19 hours ago, xender said:

They just confirmed that the garmin mod will be default on the sim sometime in the future and they will be working full time on it

I was saying to myself, yesterday, after Sim Update 3, that Asobo wasn't even making as much progress on the G1000/G3000 than the WT guys...that they (Asobo) should just get out of the way and let them do it.  This is a huge win for FS2020 and the community.  They weren't going to be successful *at all* and I do mean *at all* with the sim in the long run without the navigation systems that are already available in P3D and X-Plane.  And the work WT is doing on the CJ4 is just stellar.  Good move.  Very good move.

Edited by Gregg_Seipp
  • Like 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

13 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

A question @MattNischan, from what I understood, you guys are starting the company WT that has a contract with Microsoft to work on MSFS, very similar to Asobo, Meteorblue, Orbx, Gaya .. etc, having said that, will your contract with Microsoft allow guys to start payware projects as sideline projects or all of you have to be 100% committed into the development of MSFS? 

I can't speak to way long down the road, but not only do we have no current plans to go to payware projects, we are under contract to be 100% dedicated to the sim.

We have always felt strongly, especially at this sim's early stage, that our work should benefit every user of MSFS, and we're taking that same energy into this partnership for sure.

-Matt

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Also another question Matt and others, I think you are aware that there are many open source projects (e.g: Apache Kafka .. etc), that are essentially open source projects licensed under Apache 2.0, many of these companies that are backing these project (Confluent in example of Kafka), running on the idea of funneling back the contributions from the upstream open source project into the enterprise paid version. Even Microsoft themselves have the same concept for couple of features and utilities in Windows 10, for example Windows 10 calculator and Windows 10 PowerToys which essentially are open source projects but funnelled back to Windows 10 official releases. Now in the context of the WT Garmin and CJ4, I see no problems to follow this the same model, as long the license is MIT which means the contributions happen on the WT open source github and can be funnelled back into MSFS. Of course not everything 100% needs to ported but depending on the situation. I am sure you guys would like this kind of model, but I hope you guys pressure Microsoft and Jörg about this and I know is something new in flight simulation platform but hey, this is how modernization in technology should happen as well 😉

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

17 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Nothing like being positive. 

I call it being realistic.

6 hours ago, Cognita said:

It has given me some renewed confidence that Asobo is trying to make this into a fully fledged flight simulator. Congrats again to the WT team.

You mean Microsoft they are the ones footing the bill. Oh and the users too.

Edited by jbdbow1970

@MattNischan and all you WT people: I took my time to post because tbh I was - let's say not amused - by the news the great CJ4 mod will probably maintain it's current state for quite some time (it is fantastic, but I would have hoped for independent displays and FMCs as well as Arc-DME approaches and maybe even RF Legs and ....) but I understand your decision and I can see the benefits for the platform. At the speed you guys were making progress with the CJ4 I was not only hoping to bridge the gap until PMDG and the lot will be able to deliver but I realized how much fun a full fledged Bizjet would be (hint 😉). I sincerely hope someone will pick up the CJ4 where you left and wish you guys all the best with your company.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

3 hours ago, virtuali said:

I'm sure this will be a start of many great things for you. Our cooperation with Microsoft, which dates back to 2006 and lead to what was the most detailed default airplane for FSX ( the F/A-18 ), basically kickstarted FSDT, and lead to some of our people quitting their old job, moving to other countries, changing their lives...

Also, be prepared to be pestered ( we pest Asobo every other day...) by me with requests for interfaces, features, simconnect suggestions, since we all want to be sure what will surely be the best default airplanes for MSFS 2020 will be properly served and nicely integrated with a certain popular and upcoming "ground services" add-on...

Thanks for the congrats and the kind words.   We hope you're right, and I look forward to opportunities to work with you on a professional basis!

• Like 2

Great news!

Now he can help with the much needed next world update!

Chris Camp

I'm confused: are you guys employees of Asobo, or are you an LLC under contract with Microsoft- this thread started out with someone claiming that "Matt Nischan is joining the Asobo team".

10 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I'm confused: are you guys employees of Asobo, or are you an LLC under contract with Microsoft- this thread started out with someone claiming that "Matt Nischan is joining the Asobo team".

I believe they formed Working Title LLC and are under a full-time contract to do work for Asobo.

10 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

the latter with the caveat that it is exclusive. See above.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.