Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I hear that you can make XP11 looks as good as MSFS

4 hours ago, Dillon said:

they all just look like cartoons now...

Dillon, with all due respect.  My home airport in MSFS is on the left.  My home airport in FSX SE with the Orbx Global Free Airport Scenery pack is on the right.  I will not take time to show the default FSX SE scenery for KESN but rest assured it looks many many many times better than MSFS right now.  Apologize the shot on the left was taken under clear skies.  The clouds I get in FSX SE are far superior to the "made by Johnson & Johnson" clouds in MSFS.  (for most of my flying I am much nearer the clouds than I am to the eye-candy ground scenery)

I'd like for someone to post an image of KESN taken in XP.  I'm willing to bet it is better as well.

image.png.6db51122ff0fe6f6b6a97f52c8b222c1.png

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Dillon, with all due respect.  My home airport in MSFS is on the left.  My home airport in FSX SE with the Orbx Global Free Airport Scenery pack is on the right.  I will not take time to show the default FSX SE scenery for KESN but rest assured it looks many many many times better than MSFS right now.  Apologize the shot on the left was taken under clear skies.  The clouds I get in FSX SE are far superior to the "made by Johnson & Johnson" clouds in MSFS.  (for most of my flying I am much nearer the clouds than I am to the eye-candy ground scenery)

I'd like for someone to post an image of KESN taken in XP.  I'm willing to bet it is better as well.

Here you go.

JsbVT2GP3LyoAKnxdZeHQByD.jpg?f=user_larg

3 minutes ago, Glenn_C said:

Here you go.

Wow! That is the most accurate of all three.  Right down to the tree line. Thank you.  I have never seen it before.  Here is an aerial photo of the real airport.

image.png.6e846bb8836013bdf2f3d27aa1d35e1c.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Does anyone know how to disable the update prompt?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Wow! That is the most accurate of all three.  Right down to the tree line. Thank you.  I have never seen it before.  Here is an aerial photo of the real airport.

image.png.6e846bb8836013bdf2f3d27aa1d35e1c.png

Here's one more taken from another angle.

b7VAlxixD6EA7uh3VhggSTgR.jpg?f=user_larg

31 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Dillon, with all due respect.  My home airport in MSFS is on the left.  My home airport in FSX SE with the Orbx Global Free Airport Scenery pack is 

I don't doubt KESN looks that way on your system. However, I fly pretty often from diverse airports in diverse regions of the world in MSFS and I've never met one to look like the one on your shot. Either some setting is blocking proper display or it's one of the (few) singular airports indeed missing proper representation in MSFS. Stuttgart EDDS is one of those (but there's a good freeware available now).

Whatever it is, I disagree to take that left image as representative for MSFS airports in general. Most airports I know look better in MSFS default than in XP or P3D default (yes, I have both), mostly because of the more varied buildings like hangars, terminals etc. (albeit they can't represent the originals 1:1, except the few bespoke ones).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This is why I'd like to stick with 11.40.

With the right add-ons, XP11 can be beautiful too:

2GlhACh.png

E2hcWcc.png

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Ah but the plane is also available on the Marketplace and I am reliably informed you can multiply your figure by a least ten. They bought the model off the shelf. Estimates I've seen say it would have been about sixty hours work to get it how it is. Not a bad return for a week and a half's work.

Then I don’t know why every single developer doesn’t do the same thing. We could have 50x more add ons in the community and a bunch of rich beginners pumping out models every few weeks. 
ok. In all seriousness, you’re saying he sold at least 140 000 units in the market place?  I don’t even know freeware that has been downloaded that many times. 

Edited by GoranM

18 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Then I don’t know why every single developer doesn’t do the same thing. We could have 50x more add ons in the community and a bunch of rich beginners pumping out models every few weeks. 
ok. In all seriousness, you’re saying he sold at least 140 000 units in the market place?  I don’t even know freeware that has been downloaded that many times. 

Goran,

Can you please help me get rid of the update to Vulcan reminder? I'd like to stick with 11.40.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

There's always going to be exceptions to the rule in any version of FS.  Like what's already been said above your one example can't be the defining observation of FS2020 in general.  90% of the time FS outshines all the competition.  The global representation is outstanding.  Since your brought up your airport I can make the same case at one of the airports I trained to fly at, KANE.  There's so much missing from this airport by default it's bad.  Not as bad as your but bad.  The whole north end hangers that my flying club housed it's aircraft at is missing.  In contrast my current local airport that I fly out is (KISM) is very well done by default.  Again hopefully our options come up to speed because they do look like cartoons by comparison including the pictures you provided here. Your pics of FSX:SE at this point look like FS2000 in comparison to FS2020.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Goran,

Can you please help me get rid of the update to Vulcan reminder? I'd like to stick with 11.40.

Thanks.

Just update to the latest version, and select “use OpenGL” in the graphic settings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

Again hopefully our options come up to speed because they do look like cartoons by comparison including the pictures you provided here. Your pics of FSX:SE at this point look like FS2000 in comparison to FS2020.

Dillon. In regard to weather, cloud textures, ATC, ATIS, avionics, and Nav Data, MSFS is like flying a cartoon compared to the combination of elements I fly with when I do serious flying.  Even with Navigraph beta and a number of mods.  I hope this all gets better soon, but the promise of elements to come is clearly a development map assembled during Alpha.  And there has been little straying from it.  90% of it has been world scenery updates.  The most significant weather improvement was to squash the greatly overcooked thunder and lightening.....

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

I don’t even know freeware that has been downloaded that many times. 

As an unrelated note to the discussion, FlyByWire A32NX has recently reached 1 million downloads.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

52 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Just update to the latest version, and select “use OpenGL” in the graphic settings. 

I don't think this is what he asked. Maybe there's a valid reason he wants to stick to 11.40

@DJJose to prevent XP from finding new updates, add this line in the hosts file then reboot.

127.0.0.1 lookup.x-plane.com

Just remember to take it out in case you want to update in the future 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peroni said:

I don't think this is what he asked. Maybe there's a valid reason he wants to stick to 11.40

@DJJose to prevent XP from finding new updates, add this line in the hosts file then reboot.

127.0.0.1 lookup.x-plane.com

Just remember to take it out in case you want to update in the future 

Thanks.

I figured out how to save the file.

Edited by DJJose