Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG DC-6 to be released on Friday, June 18th

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I believe that the DC6 will sell like hotcakes until we get the 737 release. Then it will be collecting a little bit more dust on the PMDG shelves due to many people preferring the more common and well known 738 and 744. Especially new people to the sim I expect dont have a big relationship with the DC6 as of now, but will gladly buy it because it doesnt take long for them to understand the higher fidelity it ships with. And as someone else pointed out, the addon availability is skewed too much to one side now with VFR flying. A lot of people want to fly the planes they actually fly on in real life when on travels. 

Once you get the fly by AP/FMC deal down, I found that flying the 737 after awhile got a little. boring. I don't think that will happen as quickly with the DC6. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

36 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, I know there's a lot of people who've been to the Aerosoft forums once, but I bet the number drops off significantly when asking for people to put their hand up if they've been to it twice. Then again, there are people with that opinion about Avsim too, which is why I usually go out of my way to give people a thumbs up and a welcome when they post that they are a new member. 🤣

I read a great deal of negative comments about Avsim and it's members on the other forums. The usual complaint is that many people think we are a bunch of old whiners, always complaining about something. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I read a great deal of negative comments about Avsim and it's members on the other forums. The usual complaint is that many people think we are a bunch of old whiners, always complaining about something. . 

Those who know us know that aint true! 

😇

Well, I think the squabbles that are around here isn't too bad to what you find everywhere else these days. I think we have good moderators, and I feel we have a value platform that actually indicates that all are welcome. I can only speak for myself though. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

8 hours ago, GoranM said:

Because they made it for X-Plane first.  Then they moved it to P3D.  From the ground up?  Well, let's just say our views probably differ on that.

I agree with your last sentence.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

They obviously started with their existing model but if you look at the quality of the rendering, they put a lot of work in it. Of course, they had to re-do all the Avionics and they did the AFE all from scratch. So if you ask me, they put a lot of effort into it. 

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Sometimes I wonder if there are those who think that there is a machine into which an aircraft or scenery addon can be placed and a button pressed for each simulator version. There is not.

• Like 1

How much did the Pmdg DC 6 cost on FSX ?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The 6 should be a little cheaper than the jets because it does not include the failure simulation.

are you sure?

48 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I agree with your last sentence.

Do you really think they would make the whole thing from scratch?  What a waste of time that’d be. 

20 minutes ago, eaim1973 said:

How much did the Pmdg DC 6 cost on FSX ?

$69.99

48 minutes ago, Reader said:

$69.99

I thought it was, but I can't find the price online, as an entertainment license I'd imagine that the MSFS version will be the same, but as the rest of of us I'm only guessing.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Recall if you will the original FS2004 737 NG when it first came out; you couldn't move for people who were posting on bulletin boards and forums about how they couldn't get the second engine started because they knew nothing of systems such as bleed air. This is the kind of thing you have to slowly get into when starting out with flight sims, and its where many of us on Avsim are. But it's not where a lot of people new to flight simming are, and to them, it would be easy for them to view what we revere as wonderfully complex and detailed, as simply expensive and not easy to start up, and you can well understand that viewpoint if you think back to your own early days with flight sims of fancy airliners with a ton of switches.

I disagree entirely with this. As you say when we started out...we had issues. However we did not have half the stuff people have now to learn with, YouTube tutorials, the dev's themselves making videos etc. I remember buying the PSS Airbus and spending days reading the manuals and doing the tutorials. Most of my questions were met with RTFM. I am sorry the price of entry into some add-ons also involves learning! If you are not prepared to learn, not prepared to read a bit then dont buy the add-on. I am sick of this kind of entitled attitude that everything should be easy, what next oh lets make real planes easy because "ya know I wanna be a pilot for realz"

Sometimes some things are not made for some people, and that's life. PMDG have it seems gone to great lengths to make the plane easier to fly, I myself am going to struggle with it, and that's with 22 years of flight simming under my belt and a PPL. I dont get on with taildraggers at all, should the devs make me an easy landing mode? I dont want my hobby turned into some dumbed down game, because people want the latest add-on but want it all easy, and to quote you directly Chock in your favourable review of the CS777 "Most people in flight sim just want to fly 747's inverted under the golden gate bridge, and kick the tiers and light the fires" well then dont buy add-ons that clearly are not aimed at that if that's what you want and you are not prepared to learn.

PMDG have made over 16 videos of the DC6, you can see very clearly they have put their hearts and souls into making it amazing and it is obviously not a kick the tiers and light the fires type add-on so learn...its simple , if it has a "hey mom I can see my house from here" mode then fine, but I have no time for people who want it all and have no desire to learn especially in this day and age where its all available to you. Every time I think I know it all (I dont but you get the expression) I learn something new, sometimes form the new blood sometimes from videos. 

What it costs it cost's if people dont like that then dont buy it, If people buy it and cant fly it then LEARN its that simple.

Edited by a321
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, a321 said:

I disagree entirely with this. As you say when we started out...we had issues. However we did not have half the stuff people have now to learn with, YouTube tutorials, the dev's themselves making videos etc. I remember buying the PSS Airbus and spending days reading the manuals and doing the tutorials. Most of my questions were met with RTFM. I am sorry the price of entry into some add-ons also involves learning! If you are not prepared to learn, not prepared to read a bit then dont buy the add-on. I am sick of this kind of entitled attitude that everything should be easy, what next oh lets make real planes easy because "ya know I wanna be a pilot for realz"

Sometimes some things are not made for some people, and that's life. PMDG have it seems gone to great lengths to make the plane easier to fly, I myself am going to struggle with it, and that's with 22 years of flight simming under my belt and a PPL. I dont get on with taildraggers at all, should the devs make me an easy landing mode? I dont want my hobby turned into some dumbed down game, because people want the latest add-on but want it all easy, and to quote you directly Chock in your favourable review of the CS777 "Most people in flight sim just want to fly 747's inverted under the golden gate bridge, and kick the tiers and light the fires" well then dont buy add-ons that clearly are not aimed at that if that's not what you want and you are not prepared to learn.

PMDG have made over 16 videos of the DC6, you can see very clearly they have put their hearts and souls into making it amazing and it is obviously not a kick the tiers and light the fires type add-on so learn...its simple , if it has a "hey mom I can see my house from here" mode then fine, but I have no time for people who want it all and have no desire to learn especially in this day and age where its all available to you. Every time I think I know it all (I dont but you get the expression) I learn something new, sometimes form the new blood sometimes from videos. 

What it costs it cost's if people dont like that then dont buy it, If people buy it and cant fly it then LEARN its that simple.

Well, I've not said I don't want to learn that stuff, I'm just pointing out it's pretty hard for new people, I have learned that stuff, and still do learn stuff all the time. In fact today I was re-doing exams for working back at Menzies Aviation at EGCC, where I started again literally this Monday. So yesterday had the aviation medical (again), and now I'm currently about halfway through the 46 exams I have to retake for all the necessary certifications on all the rules and knowledge for working on the airliners, plus I've just done the (very intrusive) UK Government security clearance test form this evening, I'm halfway through the DBS check for the UK, and then I'll have to do the GSAT terrorism security thing again. Then I've got to do all the driving tests for the airside licence (again), then I've got to do all the airport security pass stuff to get the blue airside pass (again), then I've got to be re-certified on all the work stuff for all the vehicles and engine start supervising and headsetting, pushbacks, loading and all the other ton of procedures (again).

This is a lot of stuff and it's a big effort, even bearing in mind I've done all that stuff before and am familiar with it, so I am also trying to help those people who also started working there on Monday as well, but have never done any of that before. Because I remember what it was like first time around and recall how confusing it was when everyone was going on about stuff you've never heard of and using all kinds of strange lingo, where you've got people talking about AKEs, AKHs, ULDs, EBTs, wellworks, AVIs, HAZMATs, hilos, LD8s, LD4s, FEPs, GPUs, APUs, ETDs, zigzags and a million other things you've never heard of but you're gonna be doing an exam on that afternoon.

Whilst the above is not the same as learning how to operate your toy A320 or 737 for MSFS, when these products are a detailed simulation and you've only just started getting into flight sims, as some people are doing with MSFS, then I can sympathise with the task they are facing, since it too is a lot to learn. It's not just all the aeroplane's systems, it's all the how you fly things, and all the ATC, and flight procedures, flight planning, loading, weather, IFR procedures, learning charts and so on. I do that stuff for real and even I think it's quite a lot of stuff for to learn when I look at it in flight sims, And they are more complex than they used to be.

So I'm certainly not averse to learning stuff. But the point is that anyone who comes in cold to flight simming now, literally has to learn it all in one go, whereas those of us who've got pilot's licences and flying experience and have been into flight sims for years and maybe work in aviation too, have had a gentle introduction to it all over a very long period of time, much of which was in concert with the slowly increasing fidelity of the add-on aeroplanes we got for our flight sims and the increasing fidelity of the sim too (it wasn't until FS2002 that Microsoft Flight Simulator even had any built in ATC at all, nor AI aeroplanes, and there was no GPS in the sim until FS2004), so whilst there is a lot of stuff we've learned, we've been able to accumulate that knowledge with the benefit of a somewhat gentler learning curve than anyone who bought MSFS last week and is then suddenly faced with literally everything they need to know to get their realistic add-on airliner working. And as noted, not just the systems on the aeroplane, but also how to fly it, what all the flight planning, fueling, loading and operational routing etc covers.

So it's all very well saying 'learn it' to someone else when they have to do it all in one lump, but that's a very unsympathetic attitude indeed and it's not very welcoming toward people who are new to all this and interested in getting into it. These kind of snobbish elitist attitudes are what garners criticism for places like Avsim, when people who regard themselves as time-served self-appointed veterans are unsympathetic to the tougher learning curve people who are new to all this are facing. And they really are facing a tougher learning curve than we did, because they're coming into it when detailed add-on aeroplanes rival the complexity of the real things, whereas when we were all getting into it, one of the plus points they'd list on the back of the box to our add-on 737 for FS98 was that it featured twelve-sided polygons for the fuselage. Now people start whining if you can't zoom in to a distance of two inches away from the things and read the stencilling on the avionics cooling vent outlet mast.

And for those of you with rose-tinted spectacles who think it was just as hard learning your FS2004 PMDG 737 NG as it is nowadays, I've just pulled out my old PMDG FS2004 CD installation box and took this picture. Anyone wanna take a guess how many pages the manual was for this PMDG 737 NG?

sUA7cNU.jpg

If you guessed 43 pages, then give yourself ten points, because yup, that's your PMDG manual for the FS2004 737600/700 NG, (so that's two aircraft types, with different wings, different engines, different fuselage lengths, different turning circles, different fuel tank and cargo/passenger capacity and a different overhead) and it's not a big page size either as you can see. The FMC manual is a bit longer at around 70 pages, but that's literally all the documentation you got, and to be honest, you could have read it all in about an hour and a half pretty easily, because there are a lot of pictures and the print isn't tiny.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, eaim1973 said:

I thought it was, but I can't find the price online, as an entertainment license I'd imagine that the MSFS version will be the same, but as the rest of of us I'm only guessing.

The FSX PMDG products are discontinued and not supported anymore. May have to take a look on the Aerosoft site but I can't imagine anyone buying a 10 year old product in 2021.

Edited by jbdbow1970

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah and then the same people come to AVSim to ask for help that they'll never get on either the two "screenshots" reddit subs, Discord or the official forums.