Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Rumors say that the PMDG DC-6 is out

22 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I have done one circuit around ESGG and then I did a short flight from KORD to KRFD and managed both times to land successfully. However, I literally did nothing other than take off, fly the plane, and then land it. I have not yet had time to watch the YouTube tutorials so I am sure I am doing everything completely wrong, but at least I didn't crash. One thing I notice is that the plane climbs at only about 160-180 knots indicated airspeed, and doesn't climb very fast. Is this correct or will I learn from the videos that I am doing something wrong? Just curious as to how poorly I am operating her at the moment. Also, is there a way to view the GPS with the normal virtual cockpit view? It seems like I have to keep changing views to see the GPS and so I am not able to fly by just following the route.

Cheers, Pete

Climb speed with climb power should be around 160-175 knots at around 1500 fpm. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, 737_800 said:

DC-6 will need 5NM to loose 1000ft. You need also to calculate round about 20NM extra to slow the aircraft to landing speed.

I watched a video last night where the pilot didn't apply flaps and started a 1500 FPM descent, he must have been going around 290 knots. When starting descent, using the AFE, power is reduced, let the aircraft  slow down to 175 knots or so, then put out some flaps, 10-15-20, then set 1000 ft descent and the airspeed will stay around 175. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Climb speed with climb power should be around 160-175 knots at around 1500 fpm. 

Thanks, I guess I wasn't too far off then. My next step is to watch the videos to I can really do it right. It is far to neat of a plane to try and fake it. It sure is pretty to look at, and I can't wait for a Braniff livery to go with it.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

5 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Thanks, I guess I wasn't too far off then. My next step is to watch the videos to I can really do it right. It is far to neat of a plane to try and fake it. It sure is pretty to look at, and I can't wait for a Braniff livery to go with it.

Cheers, Pete

One mistake I made in the beginning was to not let the aircraft attain a high enough speed when climb power was set, by pitching up too much. I had about 145 knots, with climb power, and it just wouldn't climb past around 400-500 fpm. The trick is to lower the nose to at the most 5 degrees of pitch up, let it accelerate to around 160+, and climb rate will go well over 1200 FPM. Too slow an airspeed, and you are really behind the power curve. 

• Like 2

This DC6 is really something else! I watched all the tutorial videos just after they released, and couldn't resist to buy it on release day, a PMDG plane at that price is a steal. Back in my old FS9 days I really enjoyed the DC-3 (when I still had no clue about system depth), but this is so much better, it takes you to a different time. 

I took my time learning the basics, re-watching Rob's tutorial videos, and I've flown it for 3-4 hours already. I've experienced very few issues so far.

Does anyone know how to use the push-back truck? The default one doesn't appear in the ATC ground service window... I'm asking because in one session the reverse thrust wouldn't work while at the gate - no matter how high I revved the engines. I made sure the parking brakes were released, and the reverser handle was also in the correct position, also the reverse indicator lights lit up. Not sure if I missed something here, but on other occasions this worked just as expected.

In a different situation the throttle lever got stuck, my take on this was that the AFE didn't release his artificial grip correctly, although I deselected all AFE modes and pushed the Abort button. Couldn't move the throttle with the mouse, nor with my throttle lever, it just stayed in the same position. Only by repeatedly pressing the F1 key I reduced the manifold pressure a bit, and the landing was a bit difficult, so I decided to feather the props just before touchdown. I have the feeling my brakes need servicing 😁 Any ideas what might've gone wrong? My feeling is it was a bug, as it didn't happen to me in my first 4 flights, or is there anything else that could cause this?

Edit: And PLEASE stay on topic, discussing who may or may not be a troll is NOT on topic here... Just ignore any post that seems about people, trolls, accusations, rather than the DC-6 - I'm glad we have a thread to discuss the DC-6, and I would really hate to see this one getting closed too...

Edited by pstrub
  • Upvote 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

One mistake I made in the beginning was to not let the aircraft attain a high enough speed when climb power was set, by pitching up too much. I had about 145 knots, with climb power, and it just wouldn't climb past around 400-500 fpm. The trick is to lower the nose to at the most 5 degrees of pitch up, let it accelerate to around 160+, and climb rate will go well over 1200 FPM. Too slow an airspeed, and you are really behind the power curve. 

That is exactly what happened to me. I was stuck at around 140 kts so I adjusted to a very shallow climb and the airspeed starting making its way up. Funny thing is that on my flight from O'Hare to Rockford I had decent airspeed once I adjusted my climb rate but never even got to 6,000 feet. 

Cheer, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Relevant: Gonna try a belly landing in the DC-6 now and see how it fares. 🙂

Not-so-relevant: I am really getting frustrated with how segregated the flight sim community is. Whether you prefer XP, MSFS, P3D, we are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. I don't understand this stupid sim war. I have all three and find all of them to be enjoyable for different reasons. As Rob from PMDG always says "be good to one another". Let's make this stop, please. Everyone do your part, I beg ya. 

• Like 6

If the OP has heard the "rumours" just now, can you imagine his reaction to the breaking news that Abraham Lincoln has been assassinated. All hell is going to break loose.

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

30 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Cheers, Pete

This should help you get going. I made this for myself but uploaded it here.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/129605-roberts-tutorials-made-into-a-simple-to-follow-pdf-for-the-msfs-dc-6

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

21 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Does anyone know how to use the push-back truck? The default one doesn't appear in the ATC ground service window... I'm asking because in one session the reverse thrust wouldn't work while at the gate - no matter how high I revved the engines. I made sure the parking brakes were released, and the reverser handle was also in the correct position, also the reverse indicator lights lit up. Not sure if I missed something here, but on other occasions this worked just as expected.

Thats happened to me at KORF.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

If the OP has heard the "rumours" just now, can you imagine his reaction to the breaking news that Abraham Lincoln has been assassinated. All hell is going to break loose.

Tony

I am the OP and obviously you missed part of today’s movie 😏. Never mind. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

This is a plane that really shines when you start off cold and dark. So much of the fun comes from being able to get this girl fired up and operational. The Artificial Flight Engineer is brilliant too, as it allows you to gradually learn the systems without feeling overwhelmed. There is an emersion aspect to the AFE as well, as they click switches and turn various knobs, calling out what they are doing. It gives you a plane that is everything from simple to full on study level, with you deciding precisely how much or how little you want to take on. It is really well done. 

And as a bonus, I find it really no more heavy on the FPS than other planes.

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The only issue I had was cracking each throttle at a time. Using the mouse was cumbersome after so many years  using the warthog for mono or bi-engines. 

There should a way to toggle the throttle to assign it a to a specific engine as required. Now it is all the four at the same time with the Warthog... or the mouse.

You can assign all the throttles to one lever on the Bravo, I am sure on any throttle quadrant actually. Just assign one axis to all throttles in device setup.😃

I did not do that I like all throttles individually on the Honeycomb Bravo.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

That link does not work for me, I am logged in but get an error file not available...

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

33 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Relevant: Gonna try a belly landing in the DC-6 now and see how it fares. 🙂

Not-so-relevant: I am really getting frustrated with how segregated the flight sim community is. Whether you prefer XP, MSFS, P3D, we are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. I don't understand this stupid sim war. I have all three and find all of them to be enjoyable for different reasons. As Rob from PMDG always says "be good to one another". Let's make this stop, please. Everyone do your part, I beg ya. 

This because some humans are tribal  by nature!

Edited by sd_flyer

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI