Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Tribute to the PMDG DC6

1 hour ago, highflyer2020 said:

Link to your discord? 

Here you go. All are welcome to join us. We are not doing any scheduled events this summer due to vacation, but people tend to group up and fly regularly nonetheless. We have several events scheduled from mid-july onwards (our benelux-tour and the great south american bushtrip soon to end at Cape Horn after thousands of miles flying from Panama):

https://discord.gg/vsxaTv3brQ

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just watched all the Youtube tutorial videos they have , and then I did a couple of flights. With the AFE, it isn't that difficult. My average flight is about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I am on my second one this morning from Las Vegas to San Diego. 

That’s about as much time I have for individual flight, give or take 2 hours or so from computer startup to shutdown.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Just now, flyinpilot212121 said:

That’s about as much time I have for individual flight, give or take 2 hours or so from computer startup to shutdown.

I do my flight plans on simbrief, that load right into MSFS, so all I have to do is start MSFS, load the flight, which goes right into the GPS, and I'm ready to taxi. Starting the engines takes about 5 minutes at most, or you can let the AFE do that, and start ready to taxi with everything running. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I do my flight plans on simbrief, that load right into MSFS, so all I have to do is start MSFS, load the flight, which goes right into the GPS, and I'm ready to taxi. Starting the engines takes about 5 minutes at most, or you can let the AFE do that, and start ready to taxi with everything running. 

Simbrief now works with msfs?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Has for a long time. Just use the downloader after you finish flight plan, and it imports right into MSFS. Sometimes, when I am at work I do a flight plan, and when I get home, I just load it into the sim, and ready to go. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

If you use the simbrief downloader you can download a flightplan that you may load at the world menu, yes. Otherwise, many of the addon aircraft have built in simlink to simbrief so you get the fp directly in your fmc. 

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Has for a long time. Just use the downloader after you finish flight plan, and it imports right into MSFS. Sometimes, when I am at work I do a flight plan, and when I get home, I just load it into the sim, and ready to go. 

Learnt something new! I’ve always used simbrief for p3d and missed it for msfs…Thanks.

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I’m still on the fence with this one, only because looks to be a big learning curve, and also looks like you have to have a decent window of time to perform a flight.. not sure I have the time to learn such a plane…But man she looks good, and those engines!!!! Looks like PMDG did a fantastic job yet again, they are truly a top tier developer and never disappoint with their offerings.

looks to be the perfect offering for some northern flying!

You can make it as difficult or as easy as you wish, with the help of AFE.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

One of the strengths of the way that PMDG have presented this aircraft model is that it can be "flown" by users with any level of interest or expertise. If you want to fly by the book, you can start "Cold and Dark". If you don't, you can select "Ready to taxi" and then let the Flight Engineer do the rest for you. Then to take off, you have nothing to do but release the parking brake. 

In my world, the PMDG DC6 is a work of art, made by people who are captivated by the real world aircraft itself, as am I.

• Like 7

This is great stuff. Thanks for posting.

I've had to resist gushing over the DC-6 as I don't want to sound like I'm just riding the hype-train. But...but I had a flight event that was just awesome.

In a few words, I was finally at my cruse altitude of 10000 ft. I'd let the FE do all the work, because that's what a captain is supposed to do. I scanned my instruments and saw that number 2 engine's cylinder temperature was cold. What the...? I checked that the cowl flaps were set. (FE could be drunk, after all.) All on 0 degrees. Next. Visual check revealed the flaps were still open on number 2 engine. Ok. Check the breakers. Wait. This has breakers? And yes, the cowl flap motor breaker for number 2 engine was popped (well, flipped). Resetting the breaker and the cowl flaps moved to 0 degrees. Engine temperature returned to normal and I picked up a few knots of airspeed.

That was unexpected and very rewarding. I can't see how I could have flipped that breaker by mistake (I had never even looked at it before) so I have to arrive at the stunned realization that PMDG modeled this as a possible failure (not a failure as much as some aircraft personality/charm that just happened in the course of a normal flight). Maybe I'm easily amused, but this was one of my ultimate experiences in civilian flight simming.

A very, very good marriage of aircraft and simulator.

• Like 8

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

It's only going to get better too when Asobo add the functionality for particles so we can have the black smoke at startup. Yummy!

8 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

looks to be the perfect offering for some northern flying!

There are nice northern liveries on flightsim.to.   Inc Reeve Aleutian, Alaska, and Buffalo. 

• Like 1

I am so pleased to read this... she’s very near and dear to me. Glad you’re enjoying her!

There are some other aircraft I’m looking forward to (the AN-2 and the Twotter, and even a few other’s from PMDG)  but she will always be a very special member of my permanent fleet.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

No one in the group made a video? I can't wait to fly this in a multiplayer event. Waiting on it to arrive at the Market Place. However long it takes I can wait! Surprised though no one, not even PMDG has made a video of several these flying. It has to be awesome!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ