Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

CPU core 0 used more than GPU in v5.2.

I noticed that all 8 of my cores ( I’ve got HT turned off ) where operating at 90% or above ... definitely never saw that in 5.1. In my case it didn’t kill my frames, I actually thought it might be better use of multi threading.........

• Like 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

All 8 cores of my 9900 were running in the 60 to 70% range. All my sliders save for autogen draw distance (set one away from full right) and water detail are all max to the right. My 3090 was running in the mid 40% range which is about 10% below were it was in 5.1. The 9900 is about 10% higher in 5.2. I have no AM in my cfg and HT is off. The only thing I do is go into task manager after P3D starts, right click on it, select affinity and just hit the okay button. I am using HWMonitor to view my stuff. 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

There might be a small shift towards the CPU usage but I would not say it it is remarkably high. I just repeated a saved flight: PMDG NGXU  approach and landing at KPDX (FB) RW 28R with AIG and ORBX TE Oregon, EA/VolC on. FPS were in the lower 20s , that's like before with 5.1 and is acceptable in such a demanding area. I have all GPU relevant settings at ultra. Other on high-ultra. It may be that CPU core0 usage is higher now but temperatures are kept in an acceptable range.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

In a sense from what I read here, this update would be going in reverse for somebody with a hardware profile like mine?  9700k running 4.7 and 3090 GPU?  Obviously CPU has been my limiting factor.  others agree?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Don't know if this is helpful but I tried 5.2 and found that it was a lot smoother than 5.0 or 5.1 for me, no more stutters and pauses like I used to get. Using Orbx True Earth GB and all the UK airports as my test I had all sliders maxed, including EA and vol clouds, and running at 4k and was mostly hitting my target 30 fps without stutters.

But, CPU was running around 70%, fairly evenly split across all 32 threads (!) on a R9-3950X and I was only using about 6gb max on a Titan RTX.

One other thing I noticed is that the LOD draw distance felt dramatically reduced, down about 50% it seemed, so I wonder if they've done an Asobo and reduced the draw distance to reduce the vram load / boost the smoothness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

17 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Does that impact on CPU or GPU? The latter I would have thought. There’s a guide in AvSim for what settings impact on each so I’ll have a look at that. It needs updating really as it was for v3. A lot has changed since.

I don't know the answer.  But I can tell you for years I had TB ticked.  At some point when I went from 5.0 to 5.1 I was having microstutters.  Bad enough that I was preparing to drop back to 5.0 or even 4.5.  Then via my course of trials I found that unticking tb brought my smoothness back

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

15 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I don't know the answer.  But I can tell you for years I had TB ticked.  At some point when I went from 5.0 to 5.1 I was having microstutters.  Bad enough that I was preparing to drop back to 5.0 or even 4.5.  Then via my course of trials I found that unticking tb brought my smoothness back

It would be great if P3D posters wouldn't mind spelling out abbreviations, like TB, for new users like me.  It's not just micstatic - a lot of users here don't take the extra couple of seconds to spell things out in this forum.

As for myself, I purchased 5.2 over the weekend and enjoy it, although I do see CPU at 100% often.  This is with an Intel i5-10600K and GTX 2080Ti.  I don't have a HDR monitor so the advanced environmental stuff are unchecked.  The CPU usage doesn't detract from my experience but I spent a lot of money on a 2080Ti for a reason.  😉

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

2 minutes ago, TextRich said:

It would be great if P3D posters wouldn't mind spelling out abbreviations, like TB, for new users like me.  It's not just micstatic - a lot of users here don't take the extra couple of seconds to spell things out in this forum.

As for myself, I purchased 5.2 over the weekend and enjoy it, although I do see CPU at 100% often.  This is with an Intel i5-10600K and GTX 2080Ti.  I don't have a HDR monitor so the advanced environmental stuff are unchecked.  The CPU usage doesn't detract from my experience but I spent a lot of money on a 2080Ti for a reason.  😉

TB= Triple Buffering.  Set in p3d settings menu and Display page.  I shortened it since Ray had already defined triple buffering on page 1.  But I understand your point. 

• Like 2

I'll respond separately to other replies but having done some tests at EGLC Airport this morning I wanted to share the results. This airport is in the heart of London with Heathrow 21 miles west and Gatwick 26 miles south. Weather was fair with a few clouds.

I changed only two scenery settings for these tests. Scenery Complexity was set to Xremely Dense and reduced to Very Sparse. Building AutoGen was similarly reduced from XD to VS with Scenery Complexity set to XD throughout.

Below are my settings. I have my monitor set to 30Hz with VSync on and Triple Buff enabled. I have AIG Ai installed and use FSUIPC to reduce Ai until 30fps is achieved.

Look at the spreadsheet numbers. The load on the GPU hardly changes. Why? Lots more buildings being displayed. Similarly GPU VRAM remains virtually unchanged.

What is most concerning is CPU1 load remains close to or at 100% throughout even with Scenery Complexity or Bld Autogen set at Very Sparse. What is demanding so much from the CPU?

It's a pity I never performed the same tests with v5.1 but had I done I know the GPU demand would be higher and CPU demand lower. I'm going to post this on LM forum too.

ExDense.jpg

AutoGenBld_ExDense.jpg

P3Dv52_Performance.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

46 minutes ago, micstatic said:

You don't say what refresh rate your monitor runs at. Mine is 30Hz. Perhaps that is significant if you're running at 60Hz or forcing 30Hz via other software.

@andy1252, interesting that you have a Ryzen. Maybe that's a factor. Most here are using Intel.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don't say what refresh rate your monitor runs at. Mine is 30Hz. Perhaps that is significant if you're running at 60Hz or forcing 30Hz via other software.

@andy1252, interesting that you have a Ryzen. Maybe that's a factor. Most here are using Intel.

The native on my screen is 60hz.  However in NCP I change the refresh rate to 30hz.  Then in p3d settings it's vsync on, tb off and unlimited frames set. 

6 minutes ago, micstatic said:

The native on my screen is 60hz.  However in NCP I change the refresh rate to 30hz.  Then in p3d settings it's vsync on, tb off and unlimited frames set. 

How are you able to run your monitor at 30Hz if the native cannot go lower than 60?

I've just flown from EGLC to EGLL and it was not pleasant. CPU1 locked at 100 more or less continuously but GPU around 30. What a waste of a decent graphics card. 😒

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

How are you able to run your monitor at 30Hz if the native cannot go lower than 60?

I've just flown from EGLC to EGLL and it was not pleasant. CPU1 locked at 100 more or less continuously but GPU around 30. What a waste of a decent graphics card. 😒

Maybe I was unclear.  My monitor can run native 30hz and I do.  I meant to say the max it's capable of is 60

Just now, micstatic said:

Maybe I was unclear.  My monitor can run native 30hz and I do.  I meant to say the max it's capable of is 60

Ah right. So why not run it at native 30Hz? Is it because of the mouse movement? I've got used to that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather