Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

What will you do with your performance increase?...

With the upcoming perf increase, I would be tempted to touch the scaling slider but I never understood what it is for...

I leave mine on a default value of 100 and the sim look very good on a 1080p monitor.

Have some of you put it to a higher value in 1080p? For which reason? And what are the objective results?

Edited by Noooch

On 7/4/2021 at 7:04 PM, cobalt said:

experiencing perfectly smooth flight at 30 FPS

30fps is perfectly fine when you can't achieve 60fps, the latter would be the cherry_on_the_cake if you ask me. There is a huge difference in smoothness @ 60fps compared to 30fps, I would go as far as to say that consistent vsync @ 60Hz IS the sweet spot for any sim.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

33 minutes ago, Noooch said:

With the upcoming perf increase, I would be tempted to touch the scaling slider but I never understood what it is for...

I leave mine on a default value of 100 and the sim look very good on a 1080p monitor.

Have some of you put it to a higher value in 1080p? For which reason? And what are the objective results?

same here. same setup. same question. did not touch it though, either. 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

On 7/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, Kilo60 said:

I can't wait to get 100 more FPS in major add-on airports, in 4k, at all Ultra settings, with the PMDG 737 NGX!!!!

If this doesnt happen then.....NO BUY!!!

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

59 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Resolution scaling is mostly down "downward", so for example, if you have a 4K screen but not quite the GPU to run it at native resolution, you could try running it at 80% or so.

In the other direction, if you upscale it from 100% 1080p on a 1080p screen, the effect will be similar to good antialiasing. Might be worth a try. Of course, you don't actually get a higher resolution, but the GPU will work with a higher resolution internally, with some limited benefits to image quality.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm usually getting around 45-60 fps in rural areas, and 30-45 fps in urban / complex areas on 3440x1440 resolution. I mostly fly the Carenado Mooney.

That's with everything on Ultra, Glass refresh at Medium, both LODs at 200 and 100% scaling, no fps lock, but G-Sync on. 

So I will attempt to get stable 60+ fps in urban / complex areas. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

11 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Resolution scaling is mostly down "downward", so for example, if you have a 4K screen but not quite the GPU to run it at native resolution, you could try running it at 80% or so.

In the other direction, if you upscale it from 100% 1080p on a 1080p screen, the effect will be similar to good antialiasing. Might be worth a try. Of course, you don't actually get a higher resolution, but the GPU will work with a higher resolution internally, with some limited benefits to image quality.

To add to this a few users (Myself included) who do not fly with the sim locked at 30, have 1440p or 1080p monitors and have 6800xt/6900xt or RTX 3080/3090 GPU's may increase the render scale to improve GPU utilization and thus reduce stuttering due to the increased probability of limited by main thread scenarios if the card is left with not much to do at the lower resolutions. (Better to be GPU limited than CPU limited so let the card work by increasing the resolution).

The added secondary benefit is a better looking image even though your monitors native resolution is fixed.

I prefer this method than hard locking the frame rates at 30. Not knocking it. I just prefer this approach.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I will enjoy the world peace it will bring and watching all my dreams come true. Or not, we'll see...

• Like 1

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

30fps is perfectly fine when you can't achieve 60fps, the latter would be the cherry_on_the_cake if you ask me. There is a huge difference in smoothness @ 60fps compared to 30fps, I would go as far as to say that consistent vsync @ 60Hz IS the sweet spot for any sim.

I don't seem to be able to get my point across, for some reason. Let me try again. I can get 60 FPS at times, but since I do not see any difference between 60 and 30, I lock my FPS at 30, as this will free the sim to do other tasks better (advice I learned a long time ago in flight simming). If you see a difference between 30 and 60 I am happy for you, but I do not. Can we just leave it at that?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Apparently, they say in controlled video tests people cannot identify between 30 and 60 fps clips, because in those carefully arranged tests that is the only single difference, the frame rate. But in real life computer video games on today's consumer equipment the difference is there to see at 60 fps. The higher performance allows more headroom behind the image display and in one way or another keeps things looking smoother, better.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.