Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

SU 5: The best and worst version so far

5 hours ago, devgrp said:

Man let them complain all they want. Life is too short and if it's one thing the pandemic has proven that. Some of these guys are 80+ years old, you'd think they aged gracefully and mellowed out and try to enjoy the remainder of their years. Instead they are on avsim carrying on about this and that. 

And we all should pay respect to the elderly people, don't you agree? Are we really going to discuss "how they aged" in a flight simulation forum? Did I really read "the remainder of their years"? 

I can't believe it.

A.

• Like 1

Oh, Asobo, you've done it again!

27147422026_c4cbef570c_b.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, Slides said:

However as an adult I understand that this can't change until DX12 ray tracing (if that ever happens) so I don't throw a tantrum on the forums and live with it 

I don't wanna wait !!! 😫

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

You mean like this?

LOL…something like that. 😂

I’ve been a certificated pilot for as long as my 25 year old son has been alive, and he used to fly with me when we were both younger.  And he has a clue about how to fly, but even he is just having fun with MSFS and doesn’t take it too seriously. He said things are much better with this update and that his experience and performance in game is much better. 

I suspect his experience is far more typical than the folks on here using a complex PMDG aircraft or a herd of add ons.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, neil0311 said:

The success of the title will be more about how many teenage girls get a kick out of flying over their boyfriend’s house, rather than whether or not some 60 year old wannabe airline pilot is able to set the FMC of an airliner with absolute fidelity.

It's a small part of it, they are trying to maximize revenue, but success isn't black or white, hence it doesn't mean the core market changes, it just means they want extra gravy. I don't see the XBOX market being a significant portion of sales over the long-term. A single serious simmer could easily spend 50x what one of those customers would spend, and the # of customers that will be serious users on XBOX will likely be limited, though the GPU shortage may help the XBOX.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

On 7/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, UAL4life said:

Yes and that’s the “tragedy of Asobo”: ran all the way to the finish line, only to stop an inch short of winning…

How can you be more dramatic? We are so incredibly lucky that a company or companies have come in and given our hobby new life and new prospects. I’m tired of people whining and acting like fools because they’re still working out the kinks a year and a half into it. I don’t know if you’re a young one, but there’s a lot of us who remember that it took years and years and a ton of money for FSX to look good. 

As it stands right now, MSFS is the best platform and our most promising one. It’s a new piece of software and they’re working it out. I’m not sure if you’re up-to-date on how PC gaming works, but the fact that Microsoft and Asobo hold monthly QA’s, and are active in the forums is a breath of fresh air when it comes to developers. Please, please quit all the whining. They’ve been incredibly engaging with the flight sim community and they know we’re the backbone to all testing and advancement. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

How can you be more dramatic? We are so incredibly lucky that a company or companies have come in and given our hobby new life and new prospects. I’m tired of people whining and acting like fools because they’re still working out the kinks a year and a half into it. I don’t know if you’re a young one, but there’s a lot of us who remember that it took years and years and a ton of money for FSX to look good. 

I couldn't agree more.  Thankfully some put the project in perspective and appreciate the absolutely amazing innovative progress thusfar.  Despite flying FSX/P3D for decades, I have flown MSFS far more on a daily basis for a grand total of $119 spent and had by far the most compelling experiences ever.  I really find these persistent whining complainers that things aren't perfect enough for their lousy few $$ and would be more than delighted to see them move back P3D/XP and stay there forever.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

39 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

As it stands right now, MSFS is the best platform and our most promising one. It’s a new piece of software and they’re working it out. I’m not sure if you’re up-to-date on how PC gaming works, but the fact that Microsoft and Asobo hold monthly QA’s, and are active in the forums is a breath of fresh air when it comes to developers. Please, please quit all the whining. They’ve been incredibly engaging with the flight sim community and they know we’re the backbone to all testing and advancement. 

yes, they've executed and then some. If they focused purely on mechanics and not graphics, we would have another Xplane. We didn't want another Xplane. The mechanics are pretty much good enough in some cases, and in others getting much better.

That said, as a simmer that uses projectors, I wish they'd made all these graphical adjustments as another slider, not just forced them. As I fly in the country, I didn't really need the extra FPS, maybe in a few places, but still. Hopefully they'll get the idea to improve the way the sliders work (simplify) and to not gut the graphics to gain FPS, because PC's will only get faster.

Not really complaining as I know a LOT of people did need the graphics toned down, because so many people will run Ultra and then complain about FPS instead of just running medium, that's why they did it as a forced change. OK, I get it, but I liked the graphics better before this last update.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That said, as a simmer that uses projectors, I wish they'd made all these graphical adjustments as another slider, not just forced them.

You're just at the other end of the scale from me (mostly) using VR. Projectors indeed show any fine detail while our present goggles still don't, but they need brute force performance.

This way I agree, we need more scalability, and preferably not via some obscure config values but sliders.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

15 hours ago, goates said:

Plenty of games available on both consoles and PCs allow for better graphics on the PC side, so it is very much possible for Asobo to do it with MSFS.  

Absolutely and it is unfortunate that it doesn't seem the path they take if we look back at the recent updates.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 7/27/2021 at 5:16 PM, styckx said:

I've watched countless videos now of the horrifying pop-in from panning the camera. I'm hoping they are Xbox versions people are passing off as PC

It seems the world doesn't exist until you look at it

I get some minor popping in of the scenery on PC but it isn't game breaking IMO.

Edited by Isaiah53six

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, ADamiani said:

Simple solution: a slider to allow everyone to personalize settings and manage the fps - eye candy tradeoff as  they want.

It is also classist to dumb down things not allowing those who invested in hardware to fully enjoy the sim.

As if with next update they made the use of 500$ joysticks impossible: all those with el cheapo 4.99$ controllers would be happy, I know. This is the world where we live. When I was young I looked at expensive gear, both hi-end audio and computers, dreaming to be able to afford them, not envying those who could.

A.

exactly right

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3

5 hours ago, Noel said:

I really find these persistent whining complainers that things aren't perfect enough for their lousy few $$ and would be more than delighted to see them move back P3D/XP and stay there forever.

I should think someone who is experiencing game breaking CTD's, freezes etc after spending $120  should  rightly expect it to work properly especially a year later. 

Kind regards,

Tim

56 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

I should think someone who is experiencing game breaking CTD's, freezes etc after spending $120  should  rightly expect it to work properly especially a year later. 

i expect people who have these ctd's to try and find the causes of them. thats mature behaviour.

most causes of ctd are addons, and other stuff at userside, only confirmed one in game is the ai traffic now.

3 hours ago, wim123 said:

i expect people who have these ctd's to try and find the causes of them. thats mature behaviour.

most causes of ctd are addons, and other stuff at userside, only confirmed one in game is the ai traffic now.

I had a completely stable PC before SU5 and it turned into a CTD fest starting with trying to download it. Process Lasso caused MSFS to crash even trying to load. Then my mild OC caused problems during install, followed by CTDs on every flight thereafter. The last culprit was heat. My GPU is pegged at 100% usage now (it would periodically hit 100% per SU5, but mostly stayed in the 90% range) and that caused a lot of heat. Running MSI Afterburner allowed me to get aggressive on the fans, and that stopped those CTDs. 

I think people experiencing crashes need to go through their system top to bottom. Even a mild OC can be an issue, but monitoring your GPU and CPU temps during a flight may provide surprising results. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro