Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

SU 5: The best and worst version so far

If you don't want to have problems, don't download a major update of anything (let alone something as open-ended as a flight simulator) on day1.

Wait a couple of weeks till the first hotfix comes out (as I did with P3D 5.2)

In this case because performance is one of  my major gripes with MSFS I'm downloading now and prepared to be part of effectively a gamma test, which is what Day 1 releases are.

Update: my CTDs seem to have calmed down tonight. I have not had one in a few hours. I ran my PC with BIOS defaults and cranked up the CPU fans to keep the heat down. With Photogrammetry back on things are also not popping in so much. It is there, but I would say it is not a deal breaker. Might have been a server issue earlier. 

Those discovery flights are jaw dropping.    

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

6 hours ago, Slides said:

None of that is true.

It is true on my system. Never before, but after the update yes.

Just be in a plane that has decent side views and punch Control + Right Arrow,  or Control + Left Arrow (snap view right, snap view left). The scenery in the new view will take a second to load every time. Until this update, that did not happen.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The upside, I'm getting finally 60FPS under more demanding conditions.

Downside, performance are still very bad.

I jumped from ~40 FPS in 4K Ultra to 60 FPS.

I love it :-)

• Like 3

Only one thing: Some knobs in the A32NX are flickering....

5 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

If you don't want to have problems, don't download a major update of anything (let alone something as open-ended as a flight simulator) on day1.

Wait a couple of weeks till the first hotfix comes out (as I did with P3D 5.2)

In this case because performance is one of  my major gripes with MSFS I'm downloading now and prepared to be part of effectively a gamma test, which is what Day 1 releases are.

you don't get the choice with MSFS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

It is true on my system. Never before, but after the update yes.

I use track IR and not snap views and it's pretty much a non issue.

I can see it being an issue if you use snap views.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

or go to external view and spin 360 degrees over and over again

sadly, with current pc hardware, it's not possible to have autogen and photogrammetry as far as the eye can see in all directions in 4k 😄

Just completed a flight from Syracuse to Pittsburg. Best update so far

SToLhbm.png

cPwwpFq.png

1OtPXkF.png

FnLbbrm.png

zyGaL5q.png

• Like 1

Best? Dont know so far... The "baddies" are taking over to much... E.g In and around here in Swedem, ESSA, ESSB, ESKN etc... all messed up! No bulidings, somtime buildings (???) no bridges, half bridges, trees at the "wrong" place etc etc. Somtime the scenery looks "P3Dish"... A mess to say the least... Better preformance? a bit but not that WOW feeling im afraid...

So I dont know... And If I could choose, YES I would go back to what it was before this update... at least for now. Sad to say...

Right now I would go back too. In a month we all will be glad we have it when things sort out.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I think there's a moral here...

e2bd860012c25c116293ed2f1c36cb20.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, styckx said:

I've watched countless videos now of the horrifying pop-in from panning the camera. I'm hoping they are Xbox versions people are passing off as PC

It seems the world doesn't exist until you look at it

"It seems the world doesn't exist until you look at it" 

That's quantum mechanics, right there!

I've yet to be impressed/disappointed with this new version.

It took about seven hours to download the main update and then I had to download the other 20gigs of regional updates.

I let it run overnight. This morning I saw everything was downloaded and ready to go. 

Before running the sim, I decided to reboot my computer. 

Windows was corrupted and I had to reinstall it! Now just downloading the entire sim again! Oh man...... talk about rubbing ones face in it!

Anyone got the Samiritans number?........

Stu

Edited by Bunchy
  • Upvote 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.