Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Robert at PMDG on SU5 performance.

5 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

they still heavily changed the way the renderer handles the LODs.

Good. Love the new smoothness thanks to these changes.

• Like 4

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

I think my chief complaint is clouds, but everything else it okay for now.  I have had some cloud views that look like the old ones, but others that don't look nearly as good.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I noticed something last night while flying, if I looked out the left window in the DC6, moving from straight ahead view "slowly"and I emphasize slowly, and there trees on the side of a hill, with shadows on part of the hill side, the shadow slowly fills in like a slow moving wave. Look back ahead and repeat, and the same thing happens. So instead of the shadow being there on the tree field, each time you turn to look at the field, the trees are there, the shadow is not for a second, and then iit slowly appears.  Never saw that pre SU5. 

I’ve noticed the same, heading north out of Renton look at the shadows on the lakeside banks fill in when looking left and right.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 7/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, espent said:

I couldn't read more after the first couple of pages, so sorry if it has already been brought up.

The performance drop that PMDG saw when 1.18.13 was release only affected the DC-6. I still have great performance in the other planes.

I think this is somehow related to some specific technique that PMDG uses. I am sure it will be figured out and we get back to the awesomeness we had earlier. 

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so...

From Rob:

Asobo indicated that they turned off a particular rendering channel because it needed more time in development to solve a few problems, and it just happens that the DC-6 benefits significantly from this particular channel- hence we saw the loss of performance in the release build. The good news, however, is that they were able to resolve the issues they were experiencing, and this channel is expected to be reactivated in a subsequent update from Asobo- and then you will see a pretty significant boost in performance with the DC-6.

Edited by espent

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

8 hours ago, Noel said:

I think my chief complaint is clouds, but everything else it okay for now.  I have had some cloud views that look like the old ones, but others that don't look nearly as good.

The issue is the sim is now optimised for XBox on HDR Televisions and of course those few PC users who paid double the price to get a HDR version of their monitor (even though windows kinda sux at HDR).

If you have a normal SDR gaming monitor then the clouds will be washed out and over exposed and cartoony but there is no point in complaining as you will just be trolled by people saying "get up with the times" and "what do you expect using out of date legacy tech" .  😄

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

The issue TODAY, Glenn, yes.  As has been said the vast majority of PC users will have SDR screens, and there is no reason MS/A can't reenable the capability to support screens w/o HDR.  You cannot look at today and have any kind of valid prediction that this is how things will stay.  For starters, many on Xbox will use their PC monitor, I know I do to play golf on.  And many who start on Xbox may morph to PC, and on the whole PC's will have the edge in terms of raw hardware to exploit over Xbox Series X, as is already the case today--in fact nothing better illustrates this than the degredation in IQ you see post SU5, optimized for Xbox.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

The issue TODAY, Glenn, yes.  As has been said the vast majority of PC users will have SDR screens, and there is no reason MS/A can't reenable the capability to support screens w/o HDR.  You cannot look at today and have any kind of valid prediction that this is how things will stay.  

Chances are the developers are all using 32" 4k HDR10 screens with expanded gamut/10 bit color and that is all they tested on 😄

( I actually have a HDR screen with 10 bit color but it is only HDR400 not the HDR10 the game wants, and also does not Gsync with HDR enabled so I leave HDR off  )

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

My device has HDR, but I have limited experience calibrating HDR and I'm not sure how good my version of Calman can even do it (maybe). It's a full day to re-calibrate to an HDR spec and the brightness is too weak on my device to really benefit much. I don't want HDR for flying to be honest. The thing about HDR in gaming is it could theoretically benefit more than movies, sort of. The problem in gaming with HDR is so few games have done it that well (subjectively IMO), a few have gotten it right. I've seen some stuff on my HDR TV (different device), and games can really mess up the lighting in HDR because many times the game engine's lighting does not convert to HDR that well, or the coders messed up in trying.

The difference is in gaming some of that higher gradient and more extreme lighting is automatically converted by the game engine's lighting system and/or Windows/Nvidia tone-mappers, so it isn't just a human or someone using ONLY a tone mapping formula. Even though this is true, it's still a massive headache.

Asobo needs to default to Rec 709 for color and SDR gamma, the HDR standards are still a bit finnicky.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I absolutely despise HDR on TV, and I don't have a HDR ready monitor. I'd like my sim to look nice and full of colors again, instead of this washed out badly white balanced *word maybe not allowed* we have now. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s