Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

You want to hear something scary ?

The MFS roadmap forecasts a SU6 mid-september !

Could somebody with a little influence inject some common sense there and ask them to delay it until the end of the year, fix first the SU5 flaws and  take their time not to pull off another SU5 after Labor day ? 

By the way, I hope that all those in favor of passing rapidly to DX 12 understand now better the reluctance of some of us. Do you imagine the gigantic mess that it is going to be ?

• Like 14
  • Upvote 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, Dominique_K said:

Could somebody with a little influence inject some common sense there and ask them to delay it until the end of the year, fix first the SU5 flaws and  take their time not to pull off another SU5 after Labor day ? 

By the way, I hope that all those in favor of passing rapidly to DX 12 understand now better the reluctance of some of us. Do you imagine the gigantic mess that it is going to be ?

It will be a horror story, moving to DX12 when they can't even fix the SU5 bugs. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Well, I would be concerned but not horrified (not just yet). The fact is they've broken the dev environment in several ways, yes there are workarounds but some of the workarounds involve RELOADING the game like 50x in one dev session, or at the very least resetting/reloading the dev session.

So they've pretty much grinded everyone's productivity to a complete hault right now, so they are not just going to be hearing it from the general PC simmer crowd, but I can assure you they are getting a ton of not so great feedback right now in private from the top 10 largest payware developers.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Don't worry, they have a devilish secret plan which lasts 10 years.

Only a few of us will see the final result 😈

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Noooch said:

Don't worry, they have a secret plan which lasts 10 years.

Only a few of us will see the final result 😈

If I understand what they said the secret (and I hope, cunning) plan started few years ago already. So it remains maybe only half of that 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Re: DX12, although not fully comparable, the move to Vulkan in X-Plane 11 really wasn't that dramatic.  On the first release, some users (inc. me) had a black screen in Vulkan so it was a no go.  They released a beta release for that within the week, and quite soon, Vulkan was working stably, offering it's huge performance advantages.  It was nowhere near as dramatic and contentious as this MSFS SU5 is!!   I think the DX12 upgrade in itself, should be quite procedural - it's whether they change tons of other existing code at the same time, that'll determine the stability of the change.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 4

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

2 minutes ago, JYW said:

Re: DX12, although not fully comparable, the move to Vulkan in X-Plane 11 really wasn't that dramatic.  On the first release, some users (inc. me) had a black screen in Vulkan so it was a no go.  They released a beta release for that within the week, and quite soon, Vulkan was working stably, offering it's huge performance advantages.  It was nowhere near as dramatic and contentious as this MSFS SU5 is!!   I think the DX12 upgrade in itself, should be quite procedural - it's whether they change tons of other existing code at the same time, that'll determine the stability of the change.

Wait, what? Not at all. There were constant CTDs of all kinds for a long time. Vulkan in XP was by no means a "within a week" thing. The whole Vulkan transition took like what, two years?

• Upvote 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

The average in general is that if the update is only DX 11 to 12, the average performance improvement is 10% to 15% for a game. There are outliers, but that is about all most games can expect. 

A lot of people think that because some games had major performance increase (like 50%) it was due to moving to Vulkan or DX 12, but what really happens is the developers parlay game engine optimizations that are not related to the DX update into the same updates as the DX one. So it appears better than it is.

This is because it's easier to add optimizations to your final engine version, then to rewrite the latest optimizations twice.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

6 minutes ago, rka said:

Wait, what? Not at all. There were constant CTDs of all kinds for a long time. Vulkan in XP was by no means a "within a week" thing. The whole Vulkan transition took like what, two years?

Vulkan was barely conceived of, for X-Plane, 2 years ago!

11.50 was released less than a year ago (9th Sept 2020), and I'd stand by my comment that although there were some early showstoppers, by around XP11.50b3 almost anyone who wanted to (or had the specs and requirements to) run in Vulkan mode could.   The sim started, and you could fly in it.   It was only around a month or so until all major 3rd party addons were Vulkan compatible (most were, natively).

What do we have now that doesn't work in Vulkan?  ...... Librain.    There may be more but I can't think of them!

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

SU5 is not even a week old and Avsim is crying like Bill Gates himself broke the engine for the next years to come. 

Get a life boys. 

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps SU6 will,also include fixes needed because of SU5, or perhaps we’ll get more hot fixes before then.  Either way, I’m not going to complain about too many scheduled updates.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

5 minutes ago, swiesma said:

SU5 is not even a week old and Avsim is crying like Bill Gates himself broke the engine for the next years to come. 

Get a life boys. 

Well you need to put that into context, flight simming for many here is our hobbie, it looks like yours could be Car's and is that an M3 of yours, if someone drove into your M3 and about wrote it of, if you got a bit upset about that, how would you feel if someone told you its "just" a car get a life....

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Well you need to put that into context, flight simming for many here is our hobbie, it looks like your could be Car's and is that an M3 of your, if someone drove into your M3 and about wrote it of, if you got a upset about that, how would you feel if someone tolf you its "just" a car get a life....

Believe it or not. Some time ago someone crashed into my M2. 

Guess what? The shop fixed it after 1 week and I got over 2000€ on top for the trouble and reduction of value. 

Hobby or not - it’s a complex piece of Software and it should run on everyone’s machine. 
I mean. Did you ever have a look at the hardware section in this forum and see how dummies overclock/undervolten their machines?

And then they end up here… crying….

Give the guys at Asobo some days to fix their sh*t, go out and have an icecream meanwhile. 

Edited by swiesma
  • Like 7

Please let us not bring Vulkan and XP yet another time. This is a MSF forum. There is a XP forum  ! Thank you for your comprehension.

Speaking of other sims, the only one that has dx12 for now is P3 D and V5 was not a rose bed to begin with.

But this is not the issue anyway. Is the MFS team as we know them now and their history of poor quality control and fumbling priorities able to deliver a major painless change ? They have to take the time to do it right for once,

• Like 3

Dominique