Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

You want to hear something scary ?

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

You guys wanted performance, here it is.. SU5 😉

Did they also upvote the night lighting changes which went progressively downhill, when they had lighting almost nailed down perfectly?

Some guy had a Picasso, and he got bored, so he decided to get out his box of crayons is what happened.

From my recollection, people were complaining about the FLOATING ORBS, and wanted that fixed, they didn't want the entire night lighting system scraped and done with random colors.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The MFS roadmap forecasts a SU6 mid-september !

Could somebody with a little influence inject some common sense there and ask them to delay it until the end of the year, fix first the SU5 flaws and  take their time not to pull off another SU5 after Labor day ? 

By the way, I hope that all those in favor of passing rapidly to DX 12 understand now better the reluctance of some of us. Do you imagine the gigantic mess that it is going to be ?

Delay? That might be our only hope of a usable sim in 2021? I don’t want a delay, I’m counting the days. Cause my sim is useless as a bosom on a bull right now. 

7 minutes ago, simbol said:

This is the XBox update.  The fact that it altered performance on the PC is totally secondary to that.  If they really cared about PC they would offer level of detail settings that actually worked, and not wreck the visuals for people with top end GPUs.

It's just like the half-baked VR update which they released just to check some VR box in the Microsoft roadmap, but it's full of issues and they have not addressed even a single item on their "VR" feedback summary.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

21 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

Personally I don't like these kind of rants because the sim is updated regularly and regularly it requires testing and a new set up. Nothing wrong with this, any complex machine or software work in the same way, some people want everything immediately like an ordinary McDonald's customer, or XBox guys.🤣

It is not exactly the point of this thread which is about the spacing between updates. Or rather was....

Anyway, besides that what you say is wrong. Except for WIndows and my Apple mobiles OS, I do not have any software that has been updated 10 times the last 11-odd months and certainly not any other game I play.   Complex machines ?  Which ones are you talking about ?   

MFS is a product of mass consumption. As Jean Luc explained upthread updates are not a technical imperative but a commercial strategy. So as a consumer, I have the right to rant 🤣 ! 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

Gimme a break. I may have welcomed a few extra FPS but not a 70% increase that makes the sim look like a console game! If I have to buy an XBox to be able to run it at least have the decency to tell me!

SU6, SU7, SU8....

Bring them on!

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I see no degradation whatsoever on my PC after SU5.

I posted about it on other topics, I think there is a bug or a setting that people could be implementing on their PCs which is causing what you guys describe.

In any case all you can do is reported it to MS and wait for a fix.. Nothing more.

And per the topic, updates will just keep coming, more often than ever.. Nothing we can do to stop it.. It is what it is, it is the way Microsoft always operate.. For many decades..

S.

8 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

MFS is a product of mass consumption. As Jean Luc explained upthread updates are not a technical imperative but a commercial strategy. So as a consumer, I have the right to rant 🤣 ! 

...and you have the right to your McDonald's product. A flight simulator these days is a complex thing, Asobo is following the right way because with other sims we stayed for years with tons of bugs and mods and addons to compensate the lack of support.

Edited by Claudius_

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

10 minutes ago, simbol said:

You guys wanted performanc e

Not true. There has been a constant observation by many on this forum that MFS was  already well optimized. I can use it at a mix ultra/High settings on my machine which is impossible with the competition.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

I see no degradation whatsoever on my PC after SU5.

S.

Almost everyone has confirmed degradation, not only in clouds. The largest payware developers have acknowleged LOD issues with the default objects in certain airports, we've been taking screenshots and comparing in the forums, etc... 

I find that an odd stance to be honest, given that almost no-one has tried to claim this (there are a few, but it's not realistic). You either have a magical PC or it didn't update something correctly.

Sure you can just fly around and not be paying attention to these things, but once you see them it's VERY hard to unsee them.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Some guy had a Picasso, and he got bored, so he decided to get out his box of crayons is what happened.

we’ve got monkey ******* as our guest artist on lighting now

1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Everyone has confirmed degradation, not only in clouds. The largest payware developers have acknowleged LOD issues with the default objects in certain airports, we've taken screenshots, etc... 

I find that an odd stance to be honest, given that almost no-one has tried to claim this (there are a few, but it's not realistic).

Sure you can just fly around and not be paying attention to these things, but once you see them it's VERY hard to unsee them.

In my case the degradation was temporary because the XBox thing, now the sim works well, although the clouds require some touching.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

5 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

In my case the degradation was temporary because the XBox thing, now the sim works well, although the clouds require some touching.

So we are now supposed to believe a few users over the people building the airports and the experts that are discussing LOD issues.

That all the developers are so dumb they don't even know how to test for this stuff (yah it can be hard to test, but not when you got 500+ developers in a single forum, there are other forums you know with technical people talking about these issues right now). Some of the people having the discussions are from the very people you buy stuff in the store from...

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, simbol said:

If you ask my opinion, and based on my experience, we will see more and more updates.

Simply put, the more the user base continues to ask for new features, the more updates are necessary to put in the pipeline in order to meet the goals.

So, nope I don't see this slowing down at all.. I really see them increasing.. 

Microsoft releases windows updates every week, they get out every Tuesday.. At the rate of users requesting new features to MS / Asobo for Msfs, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing weekly updates by the end of 2022.

I have been a software engineer over 25+ years, Microsoft business model always has been to push for updates faster than their competitors, it is the way they ensure nobody can catch up with them and beat the   competition out of the market.

They always have switched technology at an incredible peace of rate.. It will be the same for Msfs, they told all of you with their roadmap already things are in motion.. And it will keep accelerating each month, faster and faster.

As developers, either we keep up or switch to do something else.

As users, just enjoy, I don't see why more updates is bad for you, eventually they will learn from their mistakes and improve their update process and all you will get is the benefit or the platform reaching the overall expectations / features you keep asking.. It can't happen from the thin air.. It requires updates, the more you ask, the more they will keep coming.. 

S.

I appreciate your knowledge and experience, but I have a question:

These Windows updates are not always mandatory.  You may choose to halt the updates. Or you could delay them.
The same goes for other software, you could be three updates back before they won't offer support for your version.

None of this is possible in MSFS. As soon as they pump out some code, you have to install it. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 minute ago, Claudius_ said:

...and you have the right to your McDonald's product. A flight simulator these days is a complex thing, Asobo is following the right way because with other sims we stayed for years with tons bugs and mods to compensate the lack of support.

Again this is not the point. The point is not whether we need updates (we do) but whether  we need updates at this frantic rate  with release 20% bugged. With a forthcoming update carrying DX12.

A flight simulator has always been a complex software, for 40 years at least one or two were on my computer. I know. Other games too. There is a tendency in this community to look at their sim as the navel of their own belly. Some wargames have some complex AI, even RPG and shooters have complex ballistics programming among other things. 

It is not true that other sims are not supported. For instance P3D is regurlarly updated and corrrected. I am not familiar with XP but I guess it is the same. If you allude to the FSX freeze without support. Who was the owner if not the owner of MFS ? 

Dominique