Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

You want to hear something scary ?

If you ask my opinion, and based on my experience, we will see more and more updates.

Simply put, the more the user base continues to ask for new features, the more updates are necessary to put in the pipeline in order to meet the goals.

So, nope I don't see this slowing down at all.. I really see them increasing.. 

Microsoft releases windows updates every week, they get out every Tuesday.. At the rate of users requesting new features to MS / Asobo for Msfs, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing weekly updates by the end of 2022.

I have been a software engineer over 25+ years, Microsoft business model always has been to push for updates faster than their competitors, it is the way they ensure nobody can catch up with them and beat the   competition out of the market.

They always have switched technology at an incredible peace of rate.. It will be the same for Msfs, they told all of you with their roadmap already things are in motion.. And it will keep accelerating each month, faster and faster.

As developers, either we keep up or switch to do something else.

As users, just enjoy, I don't see why more updates is bad for you, eventually they will learn from their mistakes and improve their update process and all you will get is the benefit or the platform reaching the overall expectations / features you keep asking.. It can't happen from the thin air.. It requires updates, the more you ask, the more they will keep coming.. 

S.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow, people are really wound up sometimes, yes it was purely just the way i worded it, i knew he was a known developer 🙂

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 3

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

@RXP Thanks for the complement.

I wonder whether this type of development is well fitted for a product of mass consumption ... I  don't play MMO. Is it the same or MFS a specila case ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

28 minutes ago, The Moose said:

I'd have a good swear, be disappointed and then say to myself.  "it's just a car" Because i have perspective. It IS just a car.  In the grand scheme of things its utterly unimportant no matter how much time and money you'd spent on it.

So very true.🙂, we are just in the swearing bit ATM 🙂

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

TBH, I've seen people get more upset over a football game in which they invested very little time, maybe 2 hours.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

we are just in the swearing bit ATM 🙂

Good to hear 🙂  Let it rip then, I approve of a good swear!  Just keep the perspective at the end of the day.  I know these things a bloody frustrating at times.  It IS Just a game though.  Life goes on.  Hope you sort out your problems with the sim soon.

15 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I wonder whether this type of development is well fitted for a product of mass consumption ... I  don't play MMO. Is it the same or MFS a specila case ?

I honestly don't know and can't judge, but it hard not noticing a trend, especially since SU5, that this is starting to worrying an increasing number of people, now that instead of forecasting an hypothetical future only seen by a few, all can have a hands-on experience of how it translates into the deliverables they use in practice. This still doesn't tell whether these issues are mostly due only to the development practices though, and it would be pure speculation affirming anything in any case.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

44 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Though I can see the above poster's point about not being "too scared" to never update the SIM, there has to be a balance between updates and issues, and that balance was shattered this time.

Yes this has been my mantra all along thru and including telling others they were overreacting to give it time.  The last time I decided to give it a rest was after SU3 or whichever one brought weird FPS drops that were seemingly not related to GPU/CPU overload.  I flew P3D in the wee hours a few times until that was largely fixed, then back to MSFS I went and rarely used P3D since then and that was several months back.  So I haven't lost confidence in Asobo quite yet it's way too early for that still, but I really don't want to launch MSFS any more it's much too much of a disappointment right now for me.  Having just restored the activation for PMDG NGUx & 777 off I go to do some P3D once again, until Asobo lets me use the hardware I bought to generate the best possible experience and it really was fabulous post SU4 having dialed back sliders such I could fly anywhere and have a great experience.  I bought a 3080 Ti but I'm holding off on opening and installing it until I see where Asobo goes.  I absolutely do not need it for P3D because I now use P3D so far dumbed down I fly only from dusk to dawn when all that matters is the 3rd party airport I'm in which looks great, the planes, the night lighting and dawn/dusk sky colors.  It's a decent experience, ultra smooth, but I don't care to use even Orbx regionals as it just doesn't matter in the wee hours and robs performance.  And I certainly don't need it to run the Xbox version of MSFS.  I think odds are super strong they will restore SU4 level graphics and hopefully get rid of the heinous lighting changes that happens for those on SDR screens, it's just a question of how long it will take them.  SU6 may be it for all we know at this point, if so bring it on.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The MFS roadmap forecasts a SU6 mid-september !

Could somebody with a little influence inject some common sense there and ask them to delay it until the end of the year, fix first the SU5 flaws and  take their time not to pull off another SU5 after Labor day ? 

It will never happen, they have a roadmap probably dictated by MS and they will follow it no matter what.

This is one of the problems of the development in my opinion, because it's not the first time they have to release a "hotfix" after a rushed update.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

22 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

SU5 has been presented by the team as a major update for the PC and it is IMHO.

I think it's been a major update for Xbox.  Tell me why you can say this is a major update for PC.  W/ SU4 pretty much anyone w/ a half decent PC could run it and be happy even if sliders were dialed back significantly.  I use a 2070 Super which isn't a top end card and i could fly in and out of anywhere and still have a graphically great experience.  No CTD.  Now it's serious degredation in volumetric cloud quality, changed colors that are more washed out w/ overly bright whites despite adjusting w/ NCP which I've done along w/ the EyeAdaptation=0 tweak which helped some.  There is a certain fuzziness now to the entire world and I really detest fuzziness, and that is with settings much higher now which still look inferior to SU4 dialed back.  LOD-O was 120 before, LOD-T was 160, and I had very crisp textures and detail.  But really and this is so material I don't know how you're going to persist in the idea 'major update for PC' was a good update:  I'm using roughly 2/3 of my hardware now, and traded that in for degredation in IQ.  Moreover there are several bugs that weren't present in SU4, and a few improvements granted, but overall a very clear net loss.  Yes, it's a major update for PC in that is has had major impacts, unfortunately the vast majority are negative impacts.  I would love to boot up tomorrow only to have SU4 be the Mandatory Update since it clearly knows I'm on a Win 10 PC.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

The MFS roadmap forecasts a SU6 mid-september !

Could somebody with a little influence inject some common sense there and ask them to delay it until the end of the year, fix first the SU5 flaws and  take their time not to pull off another SU5 after Labor day ? 

By the way, I hope that all those in favor of passing rapidly to DX 12 understand now better the reluctance of some of us. Do you imagine the gigantic mess that it is going to be ?

I think the best way to go from now on, is to provide a select-able open BETA release for interested people, and just leave the stable working version running until the new release comes out of BETA with minimum to no issues before it is forced on every one.

• Upvote 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, Noooch said:

Don't worry, they have a devilish secret plan which lasts 10 years.

Only a few of us will see the final result 😈

its easy, the plan is to get us all on xbox,,,it looks very good on the x.

i do hope to get one , when available.

5 minutes ago, penta_a said:

I think the best way to go from now on, is to provide a select-able open BETA release for interested people, and just leave the stable working version running until the new release comes out of BETA with minimum to no issues before it is forced on every one.

I believe this would only work if the promise is that every (or at least most) bugs reported during the beta are actually correctled by the time it releases. I can't say more because of NDA... but I've seen some people from the beta telling on the FS2020 forum and elsewhere there were many bugs during SU5 which were reported and now in the release.

And in any case, if the idea is to wait for all bugs to be corrected prior release, this will be contrary to the principle this game is developed with: pushing new features often even if they are not fully implemented, so that it gives some purpose for people to coming back. In other words you'd wait a long time before having new features.

Like any other game, they are fighting for your attention span, which translates into dollars in the long run (DLC etc...). And actually they do succeed in capturing the attention span only by judging the number of new topics per day in the FS2020 vs the P3D forum 🙂

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

So dramatic. I wonder if people realize there are real problems in the world right now? You know, like people dying and families burying loved ones? 

The phrase “grow up” comes to mind.

If somebody posted an MSFS question in a forum for some sort of disaster, then I would agree with you.  As this is a forum specifically for MSFS, your dramatic post seems way over the top.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

13 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Good to hear 🙂  Let it rip then, I approve of a good swear!  Just keep the perspective at the end of the day.  I know these things a bloody frustrating at times.  It IS Just a game though.  Life goes on.  Hope you sort out your problems with the sim soon.

Of course  it is a a game. Can't disgree with that.  A game is a game is a game... Now why are we here ? The good souls say to share tips, to rejoice together in our common hobby, to show our screenies as we showed our baby pics to office colleagues. Wrong ! We are here, of course, to swear ! 

Kidding of course,  I meant that forums are a way to send messages and sometimes a little loud. I miss the word in English, we would say "caisse de résonance" in French (sounding box ?) 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam