Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Tried again…

Had a 55" OLED and now a 48" that I think offers a good balance to the giant screens.  I sit back about 48"" also.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I have a 28" 4K ASUS monitor on a 28" deep desk that is pushed to a wall.  The distance from my eyes to the screen itself when sitting slightly back from the desk is right at 28". That due to space of the monitor out from the wall created by the depth of the monitor's base.  I find that perfect.

It just happened that way! 

It's the rule of 28's!  😮

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

26 minutes ago, captain420 said:

.... I've read and heard several things regarding that and that's one thing that's preventing me from getting an OLED TV.

I'm holding out for micro LED.   I believe this technology is less prone to degredation over OLED.  One downside is it's difficult to produce in smaller sizes so you're looking at 75" and up. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I’m not sure how TrackIR works with crazy-big screens. Wouldn’t your eyeline be stuck to the top half of the screen so the reader on top of the screen is in line with the clip?

I use a 43" LG at 3840 x 2160 and use TrackIR - but mounted on a wall behind my seat, with the head-thingy screwed on top-center of the headset. Works just fine - just have to use the  "Invert" ticked for a couple of the views. It does solve the problem completely for every big monitor. If one lacked a wall, one could possibly utilize a post; plastic drainpipe; 2 x 4; hatstand; china cabinet; even a grandfather clock, etc., - anything that would take sticky tape or a nail will support the IR piece. . .  YMMV

• Like 4

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’m thinking about picking up a LG OLED C1 77” display with g-sync premium.

Wow, 77 inch screen. When I was growing up we called that a Drive-in movie!  😉

Al

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

It does solve the problem completely for every big monitor. If one lacked a wall, one could possibly utilize a post; plastic drainpipe; 2 x 4; hatstand; china cabinet; even a grandfather clock, etc., - anything that would take sticky tape or a nail will support the IR piece. . .  YMMV

That kind of creative engineering is beyond me I'm afraid. 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I use a 43" LG at 3840 x 2160 and use TrackIR - but mounted on a wall behind my seat, with the head-thingy screwed on top-center of the headset.

Creative and clever idea!

Al

• Like 1

There really is nothing like the immersion of VR.  I play a lot of IL2-BoX in VR and the experience of "being" in those WWII cockpits is amazing.  But the key for me is user experience and if it takes too long to set up or if the performance lags, it's a barrier to spending more time in whatever sim you're trying to enjoy.   For P3D and MSFS, I spend more time 2D with TrackIR than VR.  For DCS and IL2, it's probably 50/50. But the VR experience stays with you and is worth experiencing for sure, even if it's not your go-to regular.

• Like 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

4 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I’m not sure how TrackIR works with crazy-big screens. Wouldn’t your eyeline be stuck to the top half of the screen so the reader on top of the screen is in line with the clip?

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You can attach them to the side, right? Must be some way around it 

I use TrackIR with a 50" HD TV.   The base of the TrackIR 5 can rotate forward quite easily (so it's sort of pointing down a little).   Have absolutely no issues with the sensor picking up my movements perfectly.  MSFS has probably the best TrackIR utilization I've seen in a sim.  Fantastic, smooth tracking, independent to the actual TIR settings. Of course the almost constant 60 FPS helps!

77" will be fun!

• Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I have a 48" LG oled sitting on my desktop approximately 36" from me,  with TIR stuck on top of the screen.    I bought my oled at the start of the pandemic, before the sim was released.   Quarantined, so that translated to marathon gaming sessions in War Thunder and FS20.

According to the tv in "All Settings/Support/TV Information",  I now have 3,740 hours on my oled.    I have no burn in.   I run windows 11 dark theme,  chrome's dark theme,  and auto-hide the taskbar.   I've taken no further precautions.   I stopped babying the display a long time ago.

I also own a Reverb G2.  However,   I never use it with FS20.   For me TIR is as good as VR for the most part,  and I love the eye candy of this sim running on a huge oled.    Night flights with all the stars in incredible.   So many points of light,  from very minute intensity to bright.   And the stars are correct for the time/date setting,   so Constellation spotting is fun.

• Like 3

I sit about 36" from a 65" curved-screen monitor and I love it. No TrackIR.

Jeff

Edited by JNS
  • Like 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Sold. Ill Order the 77 inch inch today. 

in reference to the previous question. Regarding g-sync:- We partnered with NVIDIA and AMD to make LG OLED TV the only G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync™ Premium certified TV. And on top of that, we joined forces with Xbox to unleash the full potential of next-gen gaming, becoming the official TV partner of the Xbox Series X console. 

I use a 60" LG Oled with my XBOX Series X. It is stunning. Had the screen for about 3 years and no sign of any burn in and used every day. My cousin came round the other day and left with the full intention of buying the same system to play MSFS she was so blown away by it. It did help, as it is our business, that it also had a state of the art surround sound hifi system too.

CJ

• Like 1

Mind made up here, getting it today 🙂

does anyone want to purchase a lg 38gl950g. 38 inch widescreen. I paid £1499 for this one last year.