Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

FS History - Play the first four MS Flight Sims in a browser

41 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I was there too in the early eighties, in a friends AMIGA.

Then in 1887 a teacher at Lisbon University showed MFS in an Apple 🙂

You time travelling flight simmer, you!  😲😆

• Like 2

Wow,  thousands of bytes of memory! 48 thousand! (I never heard of that flightsim). I had to go to Wikipedia. A magazine game critic called it 'superb'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Simulation_(Psion_software)

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

26 minutes ago, 6297J said:

Does anyone remember this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTyyps_cCk

That was my first. Played on my granny's colour tv as we only had black & white.  Luckily she only lived next door. 

Wowwww!  Nostalgia overload!  :biggrin:  I completely forgot about that. 

I remember my family watching over my shoulder all them years ago and they thought it was brilliant.  2 fps and 8 colours LOL!  

The first sim I really loved was F/A-18 on the Amiga.  Played it for hours and hours.  Watch out for the bogeys approaching from the Farallon Islands!  😆

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

18 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Wowwww!  Nostalgia overload!  :biggrin:  I completely forgot about that. 

I remember my family watching over my shoulder all them years ago and they thought it was brilliant.  2 fps and 8 colours LOL!  

The first sim I really loved was F/A-18 on the Amiga.  Played it for hours and hours.  Watch out for the bogeys approaching from the Farallon Islands!  😆

By far the best game on the Spectrum was - 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

Personally this is where I started with flight sims (the ZX81 version)

http://retro8bitcomputers.co.uk/Software/FlightSimulation

Same here. And even in that time we didn't call it a game but just a flight simulator 🙂 

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

I'm waiting for someone to come on here and complain about the draw distance in FS1. 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm waiting for someone to come on here and complain about the draw distance in FS1. 🤣

Well it was shocking!  There were no forums in those days, so I wrote them a letter and told them I was going back to playing Horace Goes Skiing on the Sinclair Spectrum.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

0zafcbum

IMG_0295

hx07ow7t

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Someone is going to say that their first flight sim was a painting on a cave wall soon. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chock said:

I was getting stutters in drone view so I'm looking for a 3090 to run FS1 at full sliders now!!

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

32 minutes ago, Chock said:

Hey, I'll bite!

I'm all for nostalgia, still got my old 5.25" floppies for Dos, Windows, OS/2 (!) Gem/Ventura etc. But every time I looked at the games back in those days I just couldn't get interested.  Looking at these old videos reminds me of why I never got into flight sim till MS Flight. That's why msfs is such a big deal for me - I've always only been interested in the visuals.

On the other hand, considering just how much I've spent on simming in the small number of years since I did get involved, it's probably a blessing it never took for me initially <grin>

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

My 1st flight simming was Flight Path 737 on the commodore 16 (my parents couldn't afford the 64) in about 1985. I loved it. Then a couple of years later I moved on to Falcon on an Atari ST. Then a big gap to 2011 and FSX. P3D briefly in 2015. Now MSFS 2020. 

The way the games have progressed in 30-40 years in fantastic. With any luck, I'll still be playing in 25 years time (i'll be in my 70s) with graphics indistinguishable from real life.

• Like 1

I started in the early 80's on a TRS-80 Color Computer with a with a wire-framed sim called Worlds of Flight.  We got an IBM PC a few years later, so I had already missed MSFS1, but I jumped into the series with MSFS2 and subLogic's Jet, and have gotten every release of Flight Simulator since.  Very fond memories of Flight Assignment: ATP in 1990, and actually got the chance to beta test the USA East scenery in the mid 90's, looking for inaccuracies in the database of airports and navaids.

It's easy to forget that the early versions didn't even include all of the US, much less the world.  Around the world flights were initially impossible, because when a new region of the world did become available, it had to be loaded into it's own instance, not connected to the rest of the world, due to hardware limitations.  It's really amazing how far we've come.

I did most of my RW flying in the 70's and into the early 80's - then I had to stop due to a job change, marriage, new house, etc.  By the mid-80's I was missing flying quite a lot but still couldn't afford it (time-wise or monetarily).  Then, I bought my first home computer (Apple IIc) and discovered there was a flight simulation program.  Yes, it was very rudimentary, but the fact that I could fly (even though it was a kind of constant stutter) and get instrument simulations for VOR, ILS and NDB approaches was flabbergasting to me.

Even though the scenery wasn't much and clouds were basically solid levels of grey, it was extremely immersive for me and I guess my imagination (and memories of flight) filled in the gaps for me.

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke