Sign in to follow this  
jarmstro

Windows 11

Dont have MS acct dont need one to use win ten, and im sure they want to stop that. hence ill probably go to linux if forced

10 minutes ago, Humpty said:

if that is the case what i can suggest is switch off the net from that laptop 

Probably good advice for all windows machines ever.... Not just pre SP1 windows XP 🤣

6 minutes ago, tonywob said:

How does that even happen? :laugh:

Something crashed (probably samsung flow) from being left running too long and took the OS with it.

All else aside Linux not letting you crash the OS (without entering a password first) is how I ended up Linux full time. 

I was dual booting with Linux (centos 6) as the default, everytime windows exploded or forced a reboot I would come back to find the centos login screen and eventually just never tried to use windows anymore, then the next time I bought hardware I didnt go to the effort of putting a windows partition on because my workflow was 100% nix.

AutoATC Developer

5 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Probably good advice for all windows machines ever.... Not just pre SP1 windows XP 🤣

LOL then what's the use of having an internet HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

20 hours ago, mSparks said:

Its "probably" a lot worse than that.

A lot of the antitrust restrictions Microsoft was subject to apparently recently expired,

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-has-evaded-the-antitrust-scrutiny-of-its-rivals-playing-the-white-knight-11624897722

so a good chance Windows 11 is all about doing the things they were not allowed to by law for windows 10, and of course incorporating the latest updates to

prism-slide-5.1370556895.jpg

But I don't want to be totally negative, so I am of course interested in the good things about windows 11, which are... erm.. at least something and "reasons".. hmmmm

You are just scratching the surface! For instance the day FB was created the Pentagon canceled Lifelog. Lifelog was originally a Darpa project to build a database to track a person entire existence. Coincidence?

I wonder how many of these tech companies have roots in the CIA venture capital firm: In-Q-Tel 

That article interesting. Is it all smoke and mirrors or is the mythical Hydra fighting with itself? It reminds me of the phrase 'two sides of the same coin'. Just like Google funding Mozilla but then pretending to compete. We are also seeing infighting with the latest Op-Ed by Soros against BlackRock and China. And the power struggle in China with XI Jinping and former party leader Jiang Zemin. 

Interesting times...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

7 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Dont have MS acct dont need one to use win ten, and im sure they want to stop that. hence ill probably go to linux if forced

You don't require a MS account to use w10, what happens is if you have fresh installed w10 and if it's connected to the internet during the initial setup / configuration it will push you to use a MS account, but if disconnect that machine from the internet you can create a local account. 

The day local accounts are not allowed them some free space on my ssd. 

Edited by Humpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

On 10/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, mSparks said:

pretty much 60 seconds there..... Ouch!

I have used Git daily over many years on extremely large enterprise systems.

First, what kind of benchmark is this?  I find it so strange.  It certainly has no relevance that would impact X-Plane or any other flight simulator.

Git is blazing fast for everything, how is it measuring Windows at 56.13 seconds for a "common Git command"?  Every time I have git on the CLI everything completes within milliseconds.  I'd love to know what "common git command" that one is.  

I would have left this career a long time ago if every git command took 60 seconds.

I suppose I should dig into the actual benchmark, but it doesn't matter.   This is irrelevant.

12 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

It certainly has no relevance that would impact X-Plane or any other flight simulator.

OS is probably more important these days to how much CPU resource you have available than how much you spent on the chip. XP11 performance is primarily dependant for almost everyone on how much CPU resource they have available.

Using an OS that is loaded up with junk services you dont need and can't turn off, not paying the piper for decent multicore support from the OS. Then complaining the new shiny CPU can only manage 30fps is fairly standard for xplaners. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Using an OS that is loaded up with junk services you dont need and can't turn off, not paying the piper for decent multicore support from the OS. Then complaining the new shiny CPU can only manage 30fps is fairly standard for xplaners. 

As much as I would love to believe in all this, there is also reality.

That the vast majority of PC gaming is done on Windows, because it can easily be pushed to extreme limits at 4k resolution with all the GPU bells and whistles necessary.  Even with these phantom "junk services", because the operating system understands when to prioritize for gaming.  It's a massive market share they can't ignore.

Microsoft knows where they are going.  Game Pass, Direct Storage, Auto HDR, etc.  And they have already completed the "if you think about it, a console is just a PC in a fancy case" part of this.

Random benchmarks can be thrown around saying that git is faster on Linux than Windows but that is all forest for the trees, especially on a forum like this.

Edited by Gulfstream

1 hour ago, Gulfstream said:

PC gaming

not multicore, only ps3 titles or those who embraced that technology have support for distributed compute and historically gamers do not care if their physics only run at 30fps. People who dont care about performance are the only people still using windows (or finding out the hard way windows doesnt offer good performance).

In no other sense does "Flight sim is not a game" have more meaning.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

11 hours ago, mSparks said:

not multicore, only ps3 titles or those who embraced that technology have support for distributed compute and historically gamers do not care if their physics only run at 30fps. People who dont care about performance are the only people still using windows (or finding out the hard way windows doesnt offer good performance).

In no other sense does "Flight sim is not a game" have more meaning.

I guess, who knows.  I've been in this industry since I first learned to program on a PcJr (with a side detour of getting my commercial pilot's license and an Aero. Sci. degree).

I run Linux but at this point it's limited between an Apple M1 machine and via WSL2 under Windows.

Otherwise, for gaming/simulation it's Windows on a headless laptop with an ancient 1660Ti card.  If the crypto miners would stop for a little while and allow us to buy proper graphics cards, I'd get a 3060.

Everything is still very fast.

I'm not sure why regular users would consider switching from Windows to Linux unless they enjoy pain.  And I say that knowing the deep internals of both operating systems.  Linux is not intended for casual end-users, no matter what distro you go with.

Windows 11 moving the start bar to the center was enough pain for me, but believe it or not I left it there.  You can teach an old dog new tricks.  My brain will catch up.

Edited by Gulfstream

15 hours ago, mSparks said:

People who dont care about performance are the only people still using windows

You are aware that this is the greatest compliment for Windows, you could make? Because people only care about performance if they miss it. Think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

You are aware that this is the greatest compliment for Windows, you could make? Because people only care about performance if they miss it. Think about it.

yes, xp11 often needing more than one PC is often the first and only time they have ever used a piece of software where performance is a factor. Not sure why you think thats a compliment.

5 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

I'm not sure why regular users would consider switching from Windows to Linux unless they enjoy pain. 

They mostly already did. Thats why posix devices count in the hundreds of billions, windows phone is long discontinued and active windows pcs count in the millions - the vast majority of which do not support windows 11 and will not support xp12.

Covered at length in

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

25 minutes ago, mSparks said:

They mostly already did. Thats why posix devices count in the hundreds of billions, windows phone is long discontinued and active windows pcs count in the millions - the vast majority of which do not support windows 11 and will not support xp12.

Neither if which i want. I could update my bios or activate that hios funftion but im holding on to what freedom i have left

7 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Neither if which i want. I could update my bios or activate that hios funftion but im holding on to what freedom i have left

Bit too early to tell if that's a widespread reaction.

AutoATC Developer