Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

So the consensus is SU6 was a good patch?

So far so good. I could do my standard short flight from CYPK to CYCD with many add-ons active in Vancouver area. TBM 930 gave a CTD from cold&dark but worked fine when the flight was loaded with running engine at the active runway. Maybe with the latest WT G3000 it will also work from c&d. Did the same flight with the C208B without any problems too, c&d worked in this case.

Visuals are fine. Trees and buldings LOD have remarkably improved (LOD 400/200). Some very short stutters here and then but this is probably because of the loads of add-ons in this area. Performancewise, it uses a bit more resources, but I have enough overhead with 24 GB VRAM and 64 GB RAM.

My active add-ons: All libraries (Flightsim.to), WT G3000, B.C. mesh, Vancouver Island mesh, Vancouver city (PG add-on), Vancoucer harbor & seaplanes airport, CYVR (ORBX), GAIST, ORBX vessels (+traffic), both Bijan add-ons (Seasonal trees and the other one), CYCD and CYPK and some other small airports.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this update. Let't hope I can keep this opinion.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

It seems there was a brief hiccup yesterday with the servers being offline.  The servers are online again today.  And there was an issue with live traffic after SU6 yesterday but it seems to be fixed today?

Anyways, I'm checking here at AVSIM and also at the official MSFS forums at forums.flightsimulator.com and the consensus is, most people are happy with this patch.  Some people are even saying this is the best state that MSFS has ever been in, especially after all the fixes Asobo made.  Most of the patch was actually fixes it seems, so MSFS should be more stable and the overall quality of life should have improved in MSFS.

So what do you think about SU6?  Has MSFS reached a new level and this is the best that MSFS has ever been in?

A load of old rubbish for me - still unable to launch a flight - the whole system freezes.  Over 100 hours downloading time according to Steam - actual flying time is less than 2 hours since purchase 3 months ago.

Two more consecutive SU's and maybe we will be in a lot better place. There are items in the snapshot which were set for SU6 and didn't make it. They should do a better job synchronizing the weekly snapshot with what's being slotted for the SU's, it's not a rocket science.  

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

12 minutes ago, Nemo said:

My active add-ons: All libraries (Flightsim.to), WT G3000, B.C. mesh, Vancouver Island mesh, Vancouver city (PG add-on), Vancoucer harbor & seaplanes airport, CYVR (ORBX), GAIST, ORBX vessels (+traffic), both Bijan add-ons (Seasonal trees and the other one), CYCD and CYPK and some other small airports.

What's the Vancouver city (PG add-on)?  I don't think I have heard of the Vancouver city PG add-on before.  Is there a link to this add-on?

PS. CYVR by FSimStudios comes with the seaplane airport at CYVR and the downtown seaplane airport

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I'm mad at this update because this is AVSIM and I'm supposed to be mad! What's with all this positivity? 

Don't you know I ran my benchmarks through a NASA computer and they saw a 0.34% reduction in performance. Unacceptable!!!!

I also noticed a leaf on a tree at the following GPS coordinates 39.9063107550882, -75.02763395106902 that wasn't there before.. Unacceptable! 

Why isn't one talking about how the ocean at the beaches don't even have people swimming in them? TRASH

What a joke. 

• Like 6

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

20 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

It's hard to give a verdict on FPS performance as I have about 1/10th of the usual multiplayers I usually have flying near me, if any. 

There is no question VRAM in use went way up compared to prior to SU6, in the air and on the ground.  My sense is the terrain detail slider is doing something very different from what editing the .opt file did, but not sure exactly how.  It's hard to guess where it will end up, but right now RTX 3090 users will be pleased they have the resources to grapple with that.  On my first flight in SU6, B787-10 HD, KIAD to KORD, in the air at FL400 I'm seeing over 9Gb in use, and landing at KORD made it all the way up to 11.96Gb (3080Ti), whereas prior to that this flight would have seen ~7.2Gb or less at FL400, and maybe 9.2Gb at KORD, and that is with the LOD-T at 400 via the .opt and now via the slider.  Of course, we have a slew of sliders to move around as needed, so this is not a bad thing it just it is what it is.  For me I felt distance detail quality was perfect pre SU6, so not yet sure what this increase in VRAM use really means quite yet.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Only did a short flight after the update to check everythiong still worked. Started cold and dark as always. I don't know if it is coincidence (I don't see it mentioned in the SU6 release notes) but for the VERY first time ever, both the take off and the landing were recorded in the logbook for the flight.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Looking promising so far. Two 1.5 hour flights in the FBW yesterday and they both went just fine. Really hoping the random CTDs are fixed. The WT CJ4 game me a lot of fits with CTDs and just a couple days ago I had my first one with the FBW but it was right as I was exiting the runway after landing so I wasn't too irritated. 

• Like 2

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

35 minutes ago, crazydog said:

A load of old rubbish for me - still unable to launch a flight - the whole system freezes.  Over 100 hours downloading time according to Steam - actual flying time is less than 2 hours since purchase 3 months ago.

Sounds like you may have a PC problem. 

• Like 8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like you may have a PC problem. 

Was going to say the same. Clearly not a problem with the sim itself, otherwise everyone or most people would have the issue. Unfortunately, working out the cause could be difficult. Could be peripheral issues, driver issues, something overheating, bad RAM... Not sure.

• Like 1

This is by far the best update by far. The main thing in this update that I'm really happy about is the light fix for 4k and for those who play the sim in high and ultrawide resolutions. It really made a world of difference! Night lighting looks absolutely beautiful now. Although not perfect, but they are now heading in the right direction and have taken a huge leap forward. I hope they continue to improve the lights as it makes such a drastic difference to the overall immersion of the sim. The sepia effect also has seemed to be addressed, however it still needs to be tweaked for sand or dessert areas, as it is really a bit overdone in those types of areas. Kudos and a big applaud to MS/Asobo for SU6. I'm looking forward to the rest of the updates coming this year. MSFS is finally reaching a mature and stable state on where they can really focus on fine tuning and tweaking the smaller details. They have came a long way since release!

The only other things I hope they fix are:

1. Ugly and unrealistic looking square nav and strobe lights on AI planes.
  2. The "white dot or circle" when panning with the xbox controller while inside the cockpit. I thought this was supposed to be fixed for SU6.
  3. Thin faint black line in the horizon.
  4. Strange shadows under some of the bridges.
  5. USR/USER waypoints
  6. Get rid of the circle saving icon in the bottom right corner (I like to make realistic cinematic videos and this breaks the immersion).
  7. Floating street/road lights.
Edited by captain420
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yes, I believe SU6 is an excellent update, perhaps the best yet. Love the way the SIM looks now, the tree draw distance improvement combined with the photogrammetry draw distance extension in the last update has made the scenery look great.

Noel, I believe the default tree draw distance extension means you can lower your terrain LOD setting to get the look you prefer and maintain the performance level you want. With the improvements made, a setting of 4.0 (400 with the slider) is giving me the look I prefer that took a setting of 5.25 in the Usercfg file to achieve pre SU6. Some experimentation is probably in order to find the new balance you want between visuals and performance (fps) for your system. Of course, this is based on just a few test flights I do in several areas but from what I observed in my personal tests I believe this will be the case. 

• Like 1

Ken

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

The game looks much better, but it cost more performance than I expected, it looks and perform much like it did in SU4 to me.

Same for me. Performance is noticeably down, stutters introduced where there were none before. 

And it's not because of the Terrain LOD 400, I already had that in UserCfg.opt file. 

I suspect those who have locked frames at 30 doesn't notice it because their system was already capable of more. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

49 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

What's the Vancouver city (PG add-on)?  I don't think I have heard of the Vancouver city PG add-on before.  Is there a link to this add-on?

PS. CYVR by FSimStudios comes with the seaplane airport at CYVR and the downtown seaplane airport

Vancouver city: https://flightsim.to/file/17408/vancouver

and thanks, I wasn't aware that CYVR has also the downtown seaplane airport included. I have to check this.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

45 minutes ago, Noel said:

There is no question VRAM in use went way up compared to prior to SU6, in the air and on the ground.  My sense is the terrain detail slider is doing something very different from what editing the .opt file did, but not sure exactly how.  It's hard to guess where it will end up, but right now RTX 3090 users will be pleased they have the resources to grapple with that.  

Thank you.. I needed some justification to convince my wife why I spent my kid's school fees on a graphics card.. not sure if she would know or appreciate the concept of VRAM though.. 😆

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.