Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Driver

CTDs...how to stop this?

4 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Where does one find the Event Viewer?

Right click the windows flag on your start menu and select it from the list.

Under Windows Logs. "Application" and "System" are the ones you are interested in, in that order.

You might find it easier to locate the errors if you right click on each of those and clear it, then start the sim and fly until it crashes. When you look at the logs after the crash there will be far less clutter.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

As for CTD issues in MSFS and resolving them...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-fix-info/471880

• Like 1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

18 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

There are still many addons not updated to SU7. To check  empty  your community folder and try. If no CTD. add half of your addons and check.  Etc. Keep in mind that CTD may come  frim several addons. Good hunt.

I think this is spot on. I removed everything from the Community folder and flew numerous flights, several of which were rather long. No CTDs at all. 
So it must be one of the add ons I’ve placed in the folder.

6 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

I think this is spot on. I removed everything from the Community folder and flew numerous flights, several of which were rather long. No CTDs at all. 
So it must be one of the add ons I’ve placed in the folder.

Observing the two main forums, you soon come to the conclusion that almost all CTD are local : incompatible addons or hardware manipulations (overclock etc). Some coming from the code are a declining minority. And there are some inexplicable ones, a rare specie though.

I am talking CTD only, not stutters, freezes or FPS drops.

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I've started 18 flights by now in MSFS and I was able to finish 16 of them.

At the third one, I had a CTD and at the sixth attempt aswell. After this second CTD, I've read someone had problems with "AmbitiousPilots" Pushback Toolbar and moved it out of the community folder subsequently.

Since then (12 flights), no CTD has happend to me anymore *taps on wood*.

Sometimes I've flown 2h, then I didn't restart the sim while a turnaround of 1h, remained VATSIM connected during this hour, took off for another 2 hours flight and everything went smooth and sound.

The "AmbitiousPilots" Pushback Toolbar version I've downloaded is rated as SU7 compatible but it seems this addon was the reason for some CTDs on my side.

Give it a shot if some of you still struggling with CTDs. 😉

Since today I can’t run the sim anymore. It crashes after checking for updates every time I start it. I tried about 10 times, always the same. Until yesterday, everything had worked fine. Windows is up to date and I also tried it with an empty community folder. I hadn't changed or installed anything. According to the Event Viewer it’s a problem with VCRUNTIME140.dll. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and sfc/scannow and everything seems to be okay. Now I’m at a complete loss. Does anybody have an idea how I could possibly fix this?

I’m not sure if this is relevant but before the problem started something weird happened. I loaded a flight plan from Simbrief and wanted to change the parking position. Strangely I could only select the takeoff runway; SIDS, STARS and approaches weren’t shown - it just said "automatic" or something like that. Never happened before. I then closed the sim to try again and that’s when the whole mess began.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

On 12/1/2021 at 8:29 AM, Dominique_K said:

Observing the two main forums, you soon come to the conclusion that almost all CTD are local : incompatible addons or hardware manipulations (overclock etc). Some coming from the code are a declining minority. And there are some inexplicable ones, a rare specie though.

100% right. 
And MSFS is really somehow demanding on the hardware. I run my 3080ti with a afterburner profile. And when I am right „on the edge“ then games like Forza, Cyberpunk etc may run without crashes - but MSFS will crash. 
i don’t know what MSFS is doing different in its engine. 

normally I see the problems when overclocked with RT titles. So yeah…. Dialing back overclocking may help. 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:29 AM, Dominique_K said:

This is basically true. 

In my case, I have a rare issue with the WT CJ4 which randomly crashes to desktop for no apparent reason. I've discussed with Matt himself on Discord and he is aware that a few folks suffer this but he also very confident that it's nothing in his mod causing it. This only became an issue after SU5.

I have re-installed Windows twice and reinstalled the sim on different drives but this never fixed the CTD with the CJ4. So with just a fully updated Win 10 install and MSFS, I still had the issue. Can't get much cleaner than that!

The WT CJ4 is the only aircraft that causes a CTD for me. No issues with FBW 320 or Navigraph data. (These are my only other two addons)

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

23 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Thanks for the advice. The installer says I can't install as I already have other versions installed. Should I delete the two 2015-2019 versions? I tried repairing them but that had no effect.

shaSEAG.jpg

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

Thanks for the advice. The installer says I can't install as I already have other versions installed. Should I delete the two 2015-2019 versions? I tried repairing them but that had no effect.

Mmm... bad stuff.

You may try a Windows restore point created when things worked.

If everything else fails, I am afraid you will have to reinstall Windows and MSFS.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Mmm... bad stuff.

You may try a Windows restore point created when things worked.

If everything else fails, I am afraid you will have to reinstall Windows and MSFS.

Thanks. I‘ll try restoring Windows if nothing else works. It‘s just super annoying because I haven‘t actively installed anything nor have I messed around with any system files, but there you go.

11 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Thank you. Yes I have. I‘m still working my way through all the suggestions.

I was getting CTD randomly since I updated the nvidia driver to the latest one... I rolled back to previous and ¡voila!... no more CTD...

Just for the purpose of testing went on a 3 hour flight from Orlando to NY on a G58 (loaded with WX as it was yesterday) and nothing... everything was OK...

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO