Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

4 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You probably had a lot of side slip during the low speed, high power regime - well that or a busy right foot, do you usually monitor the side slip indicator? Q400 pilots typically apply one needle width of right rudder trim prior to takeoff so it's less of a handful, and progressively back that off as they accelerate into the climb and then cruise phases of flight.

I always watch the side slip indicator, always lines up perfectly, and of course like any aircraft I fly in real life, I make sure flight is coordinated with rudder application as needed. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

You probably had a lot of side slip during the low speed, high power regime - well that or a busy right foot, do you usually monitor the side slip indicator? Q400 pilots typically apply one needle width of right rudder trim prior to takeoff so it's less of a handful, and progressively back that off as they accelerate into the climb and then cruise phases of flight.

Correct. It's odd flying the Majestic Q400 without setting the rudder trim: the Majestic Q400 is the plane I flew the most in P3D and setting the rudder trim was even part of the 'to do list' I made for that plane. You had to watch it all the time. Which is something I am going to like about the Kodiak: it keeps you busy like the Q400 did! 🙂

18 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Correct. It's odd flying the Majestic Q400 without setting the rudder trim: the Majestic Q400 is the plane I flew the most in P3D and setting the rudder trim was even part of the 'to do list' I made for that plane. You had to watch it all the time. Which is something I am going to like about the Kodiak: it keeps you busy like the Q400 did! 🙂

I had about 1200 hours in the Majestic Q400, I never set the rudder trim on takeoff. Just some right rudder was all I needed. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had about 1200 hours in the Majestic Q400, I never set the rudder trim on takeoff. Just some right rudder was all I needed. 

That’s probably due to the flight model limitations they used to inject into p3d, from what I recall majestic used an external flight model program. I understand this way is more realistic but I would assume still so much you can do with what the base code allows? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

Edited by Ridvan Celik

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The Q400 is a totally different plane, since its a multi engine aircraft you aren't going to need much if any rudder to keep on the centreline (depending on the wind). With a multi engine aircraft you don't have the same asymmetric thrust or slipstream effect as you would with a single engine plane such as the kodiak, which is why a lot more rudder input/trim Is needed with the kodiak than the Q400

@karlow17 That would be the case, but on the Q400 both propellers spin in the same direction with nearly 10,000 shp total. So you need a bootfull of rudder.

in the Kodiak you get more of a torque effect (relatively speaking) because the engine is down the centreline of the aircraft, but the propwash is a huge factor on the Q400.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

11 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Get the Orbx mesh then. Really worth it.

I certainly will. Impressed with the area it covers and I already own the NZ mesh, which I'm happy with.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the green ENGINLETARM message?

That’s in red, correct?  I have the same question.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The Kodiak does have 750 HP and is lighter than an early war Spitfire so whilst not actually a warbird in some ways you should expect similar behaviour.

meanwhile, this looks interesting ... yes pricey but knowing Ryan probably very thorough and comprehensive

https://kodiak-training.teachable.com/p/kodiak-simulator-training

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

9 hours ago, regis9 said:

That’s in red, correct?  I have the same question.

No, it's in green. 

Ahh ok I’m thinking the green one is meant to stay on but really not sure, that’s one section of the manual that is a bit thin.

The red message I’m thinking of stays on when the surface de-ice is on.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I love this bird, I mean really love it. But I'm wondering if my impressions of the flight dynamics are fair, or whether others feel it is 100% realistic. IMO, it feels a little too 'wobbly' in flight, I think that's the best way to describe it, particularly in the yaw axis. If  this resembles the RL aircraft then fine, but I would be surprised. Waddya fink?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

28 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I love this bird, I mean really love it. But I'm wondering if my impressions of the flight dynamics are fair, or whether others feel it is 100% realistic. IMO, it feels a little too 'wobbly' in flight, I think that's the best way to describe it, particularly in the yaw axis. If  this resembles the RL aircraft then fine, but I would be surprised. Waddya fink?

There is a fix on the way, wait until you get the fix and see how it handles. 

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

There is a fix on the way, wait until you get the fix and see how it handles. 

That's good news, thanks

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776