Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Sticking with P3DV5 even with the developers leaving

I will be sticking with P3Dv5 for a long time to come as well.  In my early 50s and have been simming since Sublogic's FS2 in the early 80s. 

I have never had such a stable, smooth, and realistic flightsim experience as I've had with P3Dv5. 

Yes, I've watched the MSFS videos and the scenery is pretty nice, but that sim has so many issues and shortcomings yet to be sorted out that it will be a long time before it becomes more of a true flight simulator and less an Xbox video game IMO.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Nothin' wrong Greg sticking with what works best for you.  Let others squabble why this is better than that.  For me, I solved a long time ago that by having several platforms loaded and ready to go.  Right now I have three sims... P3Dv4 for work (most stable for our professional work), P3Dv5 to see what is the latest and greatest to try out plus I have a large stable of scenery and aircraft, and MSFS if I just want to relax and take in all the eye candy! 

• Like 7

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

18 hours ago, gregmorin said:

. My feelings.

Hey Greg 

And this is a good feeling indeed. My 73 birthday  is close and I went to MSFS but I understand what you mean. The only good choice is to go where you have fun. Both sims are a joy to fly.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

77 years in July and fly every day.  I didn't even look at MSFS because of the changes in aircraft commands.  Have all the planes and scenery I can handle including all of ORBX world scenery and about 90% of the complete Caribbean.  I'll stick with P3D until I die. Started FS2004.

• Like 5

Hi All,

I discovered FS5, sometime in the Nineties, and followed the sequence to P3D 5.2, by far the best and most stable of them all.  By now I have addons galore. and am more than content, to fly every day with what I have.

The routine of flight planning, setting up the flight with weather, ATC, etc., and carrying out the flight itself helps to keep my tiny mind alert.  I hope to be 89 in a couple of months.

Cheers, Jim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

33 minutes ago, jimh said:

The routine of flight planning, setting up the flight with weather, ATC, etc., and carrying out the flight itself helps to keep my tiny mind alert.

Exactly the same for me. I have GoFlight modules and use Pollypot GIT to analyse the LVARS in my 3rd party aircraft and program the switches and buttons. Very satisfying when they work.

And I still fly FS Labs 32-bit Concorde which requires a knowledge set completely different to an Airbus or Boeing. Keeps you on your toes!

I’m coming up to my 71st birthday in May having used various flight sims starting with FS5.1 in 1992. 30 years! Wow! 🤪

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I started with subLOGIC's Flight Simulator for the C64 in 1983, then Microsoft FS1 for the PC. I've had every version since then. I spent money on each version, hardware and addons, but more in addons towards the latest versions. I've invested to get better fluidity and realism. Am I there yet? No. Could I have better graphics, ATC, and simulations of my favorite tubeliners? Yes, and therefore I'll continue spending towards that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

73 this year am staying with P3Dv5 at least you can go for a decent fly in P3Dv5 anytime nice and stable and at my age who would want to fork out a heap of money on addons  for another sim

• Like 3

Just turned 76 and have P3DV5 and MSFS installed.  I fly multiplayer with some Avsim buddies several times a week.  Today, we flew Kodiaks in Papua New Guinea.

Which sim?   Today: 99% MSFS.

Favorite experience:  Flying my Bonanza out of CYCD and enjoying the Pacific North West.

My main use for P3D.. helping other simmers transition from Flight1 to RXP Garmins. 

What has really surprised me, is that I did not have to buy a new PC, as I have for most FSX releases in the past.

My over 5 year old system handles the job just fine, with only an 8 GB to 16 GB RAM upgrade required. 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Just hit 71 this month. I don't find one sim better than the other, just different, between the 2 main ones mentioned I fly a split 50/50. For messing around it's msfs, if I wish to be more serious, it's P3D 5. With the latest version of 5 I had decided I'm keeping it. I'm cranked almost all the way up and it's smooth as silk. 

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Eheheh, I feel sooooo young !

I'm "just" 57 going 58 in may !!!

I never used some great add-ons for P3D. I own the PMDG 777 by I seldom install it when I install a new version of P3D to test. I also missed the FSLabs Concorde, but in the nineties / early 2000s I did try some interesting implementations of the Concorde for fs9.

I became sim bi-polar with the advent of MS FLIGHT and the huge and unexpected deception it brought to me. By that time I was tired of what I didn't like in X-Plane 9, willing to have more than I had in FSX and missing great tittles that eventually perished like Fly! and FU as well as yet another I had great expectation in - Propilot - and feeling I had missed the chance to get a great alternative to ELITE IFT when ALSIM decided to discontinue their beta version of a desktop GA flight simulator 😕 which I was able to test.

MFS is love & hate to me, just as X-Plane... Prepar3d is always a stable / enjoyable experience, even not having huge amounts invested in scenery.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Eheheh, I feel sooooo young !

I'm "just" 57 going 58 in may !!!

hola Jose! seems I beat you by being 45 myself. I've been simming since the FS2 days in my Apple II days as a kid. I am surprised you didn't mention PSX in your post, to me it is the most stable experience of them all.  Prepar3D and X-Plane getting close to each other for the second place. I spend more time in X-Plane this days tho', specially after using the Challenger 650 by Hot Start. 

I have followed your uninstall fever and did so with  MSFS... I haven't been able to enjoy that simulator as much as I've tried. Maybe this year it'll be the year for it, who knows?.

Call me grumpy or whatever you want to call me, but I just cannot understand how MSFS will provide the tubeliner experience if the weather is some sort of blackbox that no one but Asobo understands how it works. Not having historic weather is already bad (at least to me), but not being able to plan a flight using weather forecast information kills an important part of the experience. If Asobo would at least allow a flight planning program such as Simbrief use the simulator's internal weather information as source for planning, then it would be more feasible. But as it is right now, I don't see how it can replace Prepar3D or X-Plane in the tubeliner arena. I reckon I'm part of a small number of simmers who think this way, though. 

• Like 3

Enrique Vaamonde

There is nothing wrong with MSFS for casual VFR flying. The latest Australia update was pretty good actually. 

• Like 4

The broad age spectrum this hobby appeals to is great to see. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I would dare say that those in their 70's or older that have been around Flight Simulators for a long time would certainly know a ton more about computers and the internet than most of their peers.  With all of the phishing scams out there that prey on seniors, probably a great added skill to have!

• Like 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000