Sign in to follow this  
versus

What have you done in 600 days J...?

26 minutes ago, Maxis said:

I stopped complaining approximately 6 months after this sim dropped for the following reasons.

1. If its a bug that's generally bad enough to be worth a patch they will patch it.

2. if its a feature worthy enough of the userbase to demand it they will pay attention and at least tell you why they can or cannot do it

3. This is not medical grade or mission critical software or even completely finished boxed software a la FS 2004 (the area i work in and projected my expectations unfortunately to the developers initially)

4. I have yet to see any large sim/game (whatever you want to call it) developer provide as much feedback and transparency (within reason)... yeah they wont tell you much bad news ill give you that but you can use the QA sessions and Feedback posts to get a general gist as to their approach and feeling on issues.

5. We are privy to the public facing items on their roadmap. Not all the items on it.

6. It is pointless to complain about an issue that they said they will fix in due course because it isn't fixed immediately

7. The code is not brand new and as a result it has limitations that require extensive rewrites or adjustments

8. Above all If there is an issue in the sim that i personally deem is a showstopper for me . I find something else to do. Whether its not using the sim completely when they had screwed with the weather and jets could not pass a certain altitude or flying at night when the LOD and trees were borked.

Are there certain ahem areas where i feel they fall down on ? Most certainly ... QA and the ability to put an update on hold when a particularly egregious bug is discovered. But in my opinion with the beta they seem to be making a genuine attempt at rectifying this particular issue.

I also feel that because this is Avsim some are very oblivious to the importance of having this sim be accessible to new people to at least try out on the console. Will some try it for one day and not buy anything in the marketplace? Sure.. But i think the general Avsimmer who has been simming since the old days of sublogic/ fs98 on up need to be aware that this sim no longer exclusively dedicated to the PC long term simmer. Does that mean the sim is useless for the PC simmer and they are ignoring us? Absolutely not but expectations and timelines for your own wishes must be kept in check because other development items that may not be of interest to you (but may be of interest to a different group requires attention).

I completely understand that for some of the purists the flight dynamics/ weather/ performance etc is not how they would like it but The devs are not going to drop their other projects to work on this issue exclusively. I feel it will see ongoing improvements as time passes and there is feedback from the userbase. Again this is not a static release and i think the sim can satisfy all users eventually. But this requires time and patience.

Bravo, accurate, well said, another voice of reason.  Thanks for taking the time to frame reality so well!

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Try as detractors and cultish/insecure fans of other sims might (and for me it's always amusing to watch them try so hard), the fact remains: MSFS, with its current groundbreaking simulation and rendering of the world/environment/weather, coupled with its enabling of high fidelity aircraft in terms of aerodynamics/avionics/systems (a few already out there, and much more coming soon), provides for a very compelling and better flight simming experience *overall* compared to anything else.  For me, after the initial release of MSFS in summer 2020, the second part (can MSFS support high fidelity aircraft?) was the one thing that needed to be clarified and proven... and that is now a settled matter as far as I'm concerned.  Yes, it's still a fast evolving platform with changes that break things, Asobo's QA processes need improving, various secondary and specific features are still on the backlog, etc etc... but the *overall* experience in MSFS has no competition.  And in fact, the fast and constantly evolving platform is actually an overall benefit, compared to the glacial pace evolution of past and other current flight sims.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

43 minutes ago, Noel said:

You actually believe the game developer with allegedly no experience in flight simulation got this far with no outside consultation?   If so it's beyond remarkable where it's come to thus far.  Where did you get this statement from presented as uncontestable fact? 

You started this thread w/ the claim nothing meaningful has really changed since launch, and hopefully you read enough to realize that claim is nonsense.  Since that argument failed you've changed the argument now to something entirely different, but essentially have remained negative.  What is your agenda anyway?

There is no agenda. Commenting what I see. Parts with co-op turned out better or more polished. Why not apply same tactics with parts where  there isn't one. The progress missing (mentioned in the 1st post)  is exactly where suggestions from the last post could help. There is the link.  

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Seems like he is just trying to sir up hate and discontent, and it's not working. 

you nailed it

28 minutes ago, versus said:

you nailed it

I find it hilarious that you agree with Bob when he is saying that YOU are just trying to stir things up.

Epic Fail

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

I gave him the benefit of the doubt re trolling early on, but it's now become plain to see this is indeed the agenda, and he got what he was after which was a long thread of replies.  He's stuck to his guns and ignored the well thought responses to his initial claims and morphed the argument into nonsensical claims Asobo does not utilize consultation, and now has devolved into goofy responses in order to get a rise.  With that, no further responses to Versus' troll-like responses are warranted.

• Like 7

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just when all the fun was starting.  Wah wah.

😏

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I agree with versus! 600 days and Asobo can't even fix even simple things. For example unrealistically parked airplanes all over the place and Asobo has never addressed it up to this date! For those who are not aware - below is image of how real pilots park real airplanes! The "T" cannot be touched or magenta flyers nearby would feel too comfortable!  

P.S. I'm not a troll I'm just taking lesson from versus.

IMG_2550.jpg?width=457&height=609

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

On 4/11/2022 at 5:03 PM, ryanbatc said:

There definitely have been regressions.  I'm pretty sure this had to be done to allow for xbox compatibility.  I still have many of my old TA screenshots.  The version we have today has lower quality clouds, far less LOD radius and overall terrain sharpness - especially noticeable when mountain flying.

I agree. I wasn’t in the tech beta thing but installed it on release day and was blown away by the lighting scheme, the overall colouring, the cloudscapes and the rendering of towns and cities that the original distant lod gave us.

Oh yeah, let’s not forget the amazingly subtle night environment of the early versions.

There have undoubtedly been many, many improvements in important areas of the sim and there is obviously a great deal to come over the next several years too.

I’m hoping that in the future all that was lost so they could shoe horn the sim into Xbox will be restored.

3 hours ago, Mikeingreen said:

I find it hilarious that you agree with Bob when he is saying that YOU are just trying to stir things up.

Epic Fail

I think his response may have been sarcastic, but you may need an open mind to see it.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, pmb said:

A couple of times they mentioned having read something on AVSIM but as far as I recall these referred to @ChaoticBeauty's mirrors of their Development Updates which they may have eyed.

To add to that, they mentioned AVSIM about three or four other times during the first year of pre-release Development Updates, two of these being about the trees, grass and undulating runways which caused heated discussions in here. It's worth mentioning that these were written by Skeedorr at the time, who stopped interacting with the community once MSFS was officially released and Jayne took over. That, and the official forums opening up to the public at the same time, is probably why AVSIM and Reddit stopped being checked.

I think it's safe to say that nobody at Microsoft/Asobo are reading AVSIM, except for Skeedorr during the pre-release phase. Jörg also said in an old interview that he had spent a lot of time reading at various community venues to see what simmers wanted from a next-gen simulator while MSFS was in concept stage. Now that the official forums and platforms like Dev Support are a thing, I presume that's not necessary anymore.

4 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I think it's safe to say that nobody at Microsoft/Asobo are reading AVSIM, except for Skeedorr during the pre-release phase. Jörg also said in an old interview that he had spent a lot of time reading at various community venues to see what simmers wanted from a next-gen simulator while MSFS was in concept stage. Now that the official forums and platforms like Dev Support are a thing, I presume that's not necessary anymore.

Which would be a shame, since AVSIM tends to result in more informed and useful discussion than what I see in the official forums :)  Mind you there are some great experts who post very useful information there, but they tend to get lost in the torrent of whining and hair-on-fire posts I see there. Then again, maybe that's best to keep Asobo on their toes :)

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Just now, lwt1971 said:

Which would be a shame, since AVSIM tends to result in more informed and useful discussion than what I see in the official forums 🙂 Mind you there are some great experts who post very useful information there, but they tend to get lost in the torrent of whining and hair-on-fire posts I see there. Then again, maybe that's best to keep Asobo on their toes 🙂

I think Asobo after reading the whining and hair on fire posts that were so frequent on  Avsim , decided to stick to their own forum. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I think his response may have been sarcastic, but you may need an open mind to see it.

There is absolutely no doubt this response was sarcastic.

The problem with this thread from the start was it was too generalised/unfocused, imo (no offense to the OP at all) Just that talking about light modelling, to AI, ATC, weather and so on , is a big topic and each maybe deserve a thread in their own rights.

Every one of these is a pretty big field, i am guessing, programming wise, and historically 3rd parties have picked up the "slack" (for want of a better word) and doing so well, imo. 

Edited by icewater5

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Try as detractors and cultish/insecure fans

Not sure I agree with the opening, because this can be equally said of some in this forum.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home