Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Performance wise : still disableing PG cities needed ?

7 minutes ago, jcomm said:

It's perfect this way for the kind of use I give to flight simulators.

And that's what it's all about! 😉 It's always great to have options. 🙂

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I never uninstall PG, no performance problems at all. 

For you.

For me, in North America at least, on the ground, with PG on, I get a frame rate penalty.

I haven't tested anywhere else.  And, as soon as I get a little above ground level, fps are fine and totally unaffected whether I have PG on or off.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

56 minutes ago, jcomm said:

There's not a huge improvement on my system in terms of performance, but there surely is an impact in terms of Internet traffic...

I have disabled both Bing and PG and only intend to re-enable it when using MFS to simulate / analyse soaring flights over regions I fly IRL.

Sinc I am now 100% in airliner virtual pilot mode, no need for either Bing or PG.

Do you use gliders also? That’s something I’ve yet to try. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Sorry, quick dumb question: what does PG stand for please?

- TONY -

51 minutes ago, Mace said:

For you.

For me, in North America at least, on the ground, with PG on, I get a frame rate penalty.

I haven't tested anywhere else.  And, as soon as I get a little above ground level, fps are fine and totally unaffected whether I have PG on or off.

Same for me...with them on...as much as a 12 FPS hit on the ground...lift off a few hundred feet and they restore.  So, I also have them all 'as deleted'.  I hope M.S. finds out why with PG cities installed,   and on the ground, or near to flare...the FPS drops in the porcelain.....

7 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Photogrammetry ....(cities).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Sorry: PhotoGrammetry

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Do you use gliders also? That’s something I’ve yet to try. 

Yes, the freeware Discus 2C from Flightsim.to.

Gliders in the two general purpose flight simulators I use the most - XP and now MFS - are somehow poorly modeled.

Since I fly gliders for more than 41 yrs IRL, and back when I started there were yet no PC flight simulators, since the release of the BAO FS, later FS2 and derivates, I always thought about the benefits of being able to use gliders, and perform soaring flight, in a desktop flight simulator, but unfortunately there were very few positives 😕

In MFS the glider aerodynamics are partially modelled, but rather incomplete and in some aspects very far from reality. Yet, ASOBO is working with a team, mentioned in the recent 40th Aniversary videos, on a soaring tittle that will probably be released as payware in the future. By that time I am sure the flight dynamics have received the announced updates coming with SU10, and weather modeling is also going to offer some promising features, including thermal lift based on thermal radiation, so, I look forward into the day I can use MFS not only as a tool to analyse soaring tasks flown IRL or to prepare for tasks I plan to try.

Since the scenery, with Bing ( probably Google better ? ) and Photogrammetry enabled is so good, it can be used together with the kind of navigation computers I use IRL ( xCSoar and Top-Hat , coupled to MFS from a PDA using FS2020 to NMEA also from Flightsim.to) to train for RL flying by getting familiar with areas I plan to overfly, specifically in order to easily identify landing alternatives 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

PG off isn’t an option for me with MSFS, its pretty much what makes the sim special. Two things Ill sacrifice last for performance..

ultra clouds and PG

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 hours ago, pilotter said:

yes it still takes a hit, for me even 20fps at klas default, 

Yup, same as it was here. Still get the main thread losing it's mind in places if i leave them all installed.

Went for a fly in Miami and i'm sitting there with 15fps and 30% GPU usage. Realised I'd left the Aussie PG on.  Deleted it, reloaded flight and back to my locked 30fps, 75% GPU and smooth as butter again.

As long as i only use the PG for the area I'm flying it's perfect.

Ridiculous bug.

Just wondering. I am only flying airliners, FBW A320NX and Fenix A320, would PG ON make any difference in the "immersion" of flying at high(er) levels?

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I never uninstall PG, no performance problems at all. 

Exactly smooth sailing here not a single stutter 😎

• Like 1

André

2 hours ago, CFIJose said:

Using Bing or the Google Maps mod is what makes this sim so amazing! I just can see myself ever disabling that feature.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I really don't think so.

Looks better to me than P3D + Obrbx Global or Xp11 default.

It's perfect this way for the kind of use I give to flight simulators.

Regarding the Fenix A320 I also disabled the pax cabin rendering and lights to save my CPU / GPU for much more important stuff.

Just as I used to do with P3D I would as well disable the aircraft external 3d model, but I don't know how to properly do it in MFS.

I would love to have an option to display the external model in raw, just surfaces with a single colour, no need for shadows or the like, just the lights, and being able to have control surface and gear animations. That would suit me perfectly as well as I would opt for 2d panels just as I did with fsx and p3d addons when they allowed for that, the FSLabs A319/20 being a good example.

“It looks better than FS9”

That’s only because you (probably) uninstalled most of the terrain tiles from FS9, leaving that sim looking more like FS 4.0.

🙂

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I wonder what causes this weird bug? I'm personally not affected, but I have read that many are, even those with similar systems as myself.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |