Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Seeking a retro GA with autopilot

28 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

@Cpt_Piett - are you looking for a retro autopilot or just a plane with analogue gauges and an autopilot?  At any rate I highly recommend either the FSW C414 or Milviz C310.  The 310 has a bit more depth but the 414 has a bit more visuals.  The 310 can also be configured with no gps at all.  The 414 goes higher (turbocharged and pressurized) and therefore flies a bit faster at altitude - roughly 220-230 KTAS.  I fly both of those twins with the TDS GTN 750Xi - which is far from analogue hehe but it's very realistic.

You’ve all picked my interest with both the C414 and C310. Which TBO I wasn’t looking for initially. What I was looking for was something “back to the basics” so to speak. Gauges rather than glass. As great as WTs NXi is, I find it can distract somewhat from the flying experience. So a retro plane with a retro, basic autopilot. If that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Fielder said:

A dark imp on  Cpt_Pietts left shoulder whispers, "Never mind family and finances, buy them all"!

😂 

I went ahead and picked one aircraft. But now I want them all!

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

And have you ever wanted something so badly
That it possessed your body and your soul
Through the night and through the day
Until you finally get it

And then you realize that it wasn't what you wanted after all
And then those selfsame sickly little thoughts
Now go and attach themselves to something or somebody new
And the whole word not allowed thing starts all over again

True Happiness This Way Lies, The The 1993

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

What I was looking for was something “back to the basics” so to speak. Gauges rather than glass. As great as WTs NXi is, I find it can distract somewhat from the flying experience. So a retro plane with a retro, basic autopilot. If that makes sense.

Yep.

This might sound just weird, but when I fly the Sting S4 I often turn the avionics off and fly it by visual references and the two analogue secondary gauges (airspeed and altitude). I find all that shiney lit up glass with a million things going on a distraction when trying to knock off a few circuits.

• Like 1

I know it's a twin but the Beech 18 is sweet vintage. And only $15.

• Like 1

The Beech 18 is a whole lot better than I thought it would be, don't have any regrets  after buying it. (I'm not a fan of that publisher)

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

21 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

What I was looking for was something “back to the basics” so to speak. Gauges rather than glass. As great as WTs NXi is, I find it can distract somewhat from the flying experience. So a retro plane with a retro, basic autopilot. If that makes sense.

I also enjoy flying GA aircraft with traditional gauges.. and you have quite a few aircraft to choose from..

It really depends on what kind of aircraft you enjoy flying...

I would recommend any of:  FW P149,  Carenado Mooney or Seminole,  Milviz C310.. 🙂

The P149 autopilot can only be activated by key commands, so it may not qualify..

The 414 is still in active development, and the weekly release of new beta versions is time consuming and at times, frustrating, so I did not include it in my list..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I also enjoy flying GA aircraft with traditional gauges.. and you have quite a few aircraft to choose from..

It really depends on what kind of aircraft you enjoy flying...

I would recommend any of:  FW P149,  Carenado Mooney or Seminole,  Milviz C310.. 🙂

The P149 autopilot can only be activated by key commands, so it may not qualify..

The 414 is still in active development, and the weekly release of new beta versions is time consuming and at times, frustrating, so I did not include it in my list..

Got the Mooney just after launch. Also have the Seminole and Seneca which I haven’t flown much. 

Both the C310 and 414 are very interesting, which I’m sure I’ll look more into later.

But I have to admit I fell for the Cessna 140. It’s tiny, it’s slow, it’s basic. It’s like a flying 1950’s American diner. It’s also a taildragger, which come with floats and bush wheels. It’s definitely something a bit different than the rest of my GA hangar. The different wheel options are purely cosmetic though. 

It’s not perfect though. Although it has an autopilot, it’s a bit cryptic. Not a big deal as I started using a trim axis. 

The engine sounds are way too loud. Like - I have to turn the engine volume down to 15%. And there’s the thing with loss of electrical power, which as I understand it happens with similar aircraft without an alternator switch.

But despite its flaws it’s an enjoyable little airplane that looks gorgeous and is perfect for a Sunday afternoon sightseeing in fair weather. Recommended.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would recommend any of:  FW P149,  Carenado Mooney or Seminole,  Milviz C310.. 

Finally someone suggested the Carenado Mooney in this thread!  It really is a great plane to have in the hangar after all.

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

But despite its flaws it’s an enjoyable little airplane that looks gorgeous and is perfect for a Sunday afternoon sightseeing in fair weather. Recommended.

I love the c140 and as you say it has a few flaws but in terms of my personal usage, which is a bit of sight seeing for half an hour or so in VFR conditions that are no worse than scattered misty rain, it is absolutely perfect. I even used it in my 1940's Neofly career. 

A word of warning,  do not get into the Red Zone on the fuel gauge, that  is unusable fuel that cannot be accessed in level flight.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I think the BrSims designs planes are way underrated. The Debonair and the Bonanza V tail are fine models. The exteriors, especially of the Bonanza, look slightly off, but the interiors look great and they handle fine. They also have an autopilot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Finally someone suggested the Carenado Mooney in this thread!  It really is a great plane to have in the hangar after all.

Indeed. Flown it lots. She’s a keeper!

5 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I love the c140 and as you say it has a few flaws but in terms of my personal usage, which is a bit of sight seeing for half an hour or so in VFR conditions that are no worse than scattered misty rain, it is absolutely perfect. I even used it in my 1940's Neofly career. 

A word of warning,  do not get into the Red Zone on the fuel gauge, that  is unusable fuel that cannot be accessed in level flight.

I’ll be sure to stay out of the danger zone 🙂 Except when I very occasionally go up in the F/A-18

• Like 1

This one the Original Poster should add because it's freeware. Thus you can delete it and you only lost some time.

https://flightsim.to/file/23192/van-s-rv-7

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.