Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

EFB for PMDG 737 will possibly come in October

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Emirates is the only one flying the A 380 I believe. 

BA and LH as well. 

Eric 

4 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

PMDG needs to hire a marketing expert to translate Randazzo's "Yoda speak" into plain English. 

TL:DR (Yoda) : Electronic Flight Bag? Ready it is not! Expectations? Lower them should you.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I would suspect that SU10 is giving most dev's a fluttery butt at the moment. I think ASOBO have done well on the testing and the BETA persiod, but as always there is always a change the breaks something! So I am not expecting much until SU10 lands. At which point I can see a flurry of ad-ons and an expensive September 😞 

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Emirates is the only one flying the A 380 I believe. 

oops someone already answered , yeah there are a few others that fly into KLAX from time to time.

Edited by jbdbow1970

1 hour ago, a321 said:

I would suspect that SU10 is giving most dev's a fluttery butt at the moment. I think ASOBO have done well on the testing and the BETA persiod, but as always there is always a change the breaks something! So I am not expecting much until SU10 lands. At which point I can see a flurry of ad-ons and an expensive September 😞 

SU10 lands in less than two weeks, the EFB in october. This has nothing to do with SU10.

11 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

the tablet will be made operational for you in October or so... Possibly sooner, possibly later... It just depends upon how long it takes

if only all other developers were as clear and precise in their marketing sermon. Randazzo, the captain that would be Nevada governor 🤣

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

It's amazing to me that people actually think a jet can't be (and/or isn't) flown without an EFB.

Guys, this airplane (very much including the Max) is sold to extremely cheap (and in some cases regulatorily questionable) airlines all over the world.  There are absolutely operators - and I mean a lot of them - still flying with paper. You just have to look at Jeppesen's chart subscription data to know that. There's a reason they're still in the printing business. 😉

My previous company (a large US airline) flew without EFBs until about 6 years ago.  Flying with paper charts, manuals, and even perf lookup tables isn't, like, some bygone relic of historic aviation.  There's also nothing special about using an EFB vs paper, with one exception: I can just press an "update" button now, vs having to spend hours doing paper revisions by hand.  

But in the sim, an EFB is honestly pretty meaningless, because think about it: if you've a chart open in a navigraph window... you're already using an EFB.  😉

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

The difference is - real world, the EFB is just a bag of info, charts and tools (replacing the actual bag they used to carry).

In MSFS it now fuels your plane, boards your passengers and does pushback! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

23 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

But in the sim, an EFB is honestly pretty meaningless, because think about it: if you've a chart open in a navigraph window... you're already using an EFB.  😉

I really like that once I am in the Fenix I never have to tab out or use other applications until I am parked at the destination.

• Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

So glad I learned to fly an airliner with the FENIX in my hangar. The EFB certainly speeds up so many aspects of a flight.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

"It's amazing to me that people actually think a jet can't be (and/or isn't) flown without an EFB. "

Which "people" think a jet can't be flown without an EFB? I don't think anyone came close to coming to such a conclusion.

Its not a matter of what a real airline in the real world does or doesn't have since such financial or operational constraints are not relevant in MSFS. It's a matter of what's available in the current state-of-the-art in MSFS.

The integrated EFB is definitely not "meaningless" for the many simmers who DON'T subscribe to Navigraph. I enjoy the elegant inclusion of Navigraph in the EFBs of the Fenix / FBW A320s since it doesn't break the immersion. Clicking on a ever-present "handlebar" to open a "window" kills it for me in the same way I enjoy PF3 because there is no annoying ATC window.

At the end of the day its a moot point since the EFB is coming for the 737. However, as it stands today the MSFS 737NG offers LESS functionality than its Prepar3D counterpart. You don't need ACARS or clickable vent levers either, but they too are missing vs the Prepar3D product and its fair to point out those, and any other omissions irrespective of their importance to the operation of the aircraft.

Edited by Mike T
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, B777ER said:

Not to derail the topic but the queen may have a run for her money with the FBW A380. Their just released preview video on their Discord is really looking good. Going to be a ton of Emirates flights with this one.

Personally I don’t think the 380 will take anything away from the 747.

As mentioned before we’ve never had a quality a380… I can remember Abacus and I think POSKY made one… and I would’ve rather paid for the POSKY one with no system depth or cockpit. But guess who charged money for it? 

Also the 380 and 747 both have their respective flight models and system operations, no one’s always adhering to strict fleet and operational routes. I can’t do long flights anymore I get too bored and life…. But best believe I’ll be flying the 380 and 747 from Sydney to Melbourne or Brisbane and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, Mike T said:

"It's amazing to me that people actually think a jet can't be (and/or isn't) flown without an EFB. "

Which "people" think a jet can't be flown without an EFB? I don't think anyone came close to coming to such a conclusion.

Its not a matter of what a real airline in the real world does or doesn't have since such financial or operational constraints are not relevant in MSFS. It's a matter of what's available in the current state-of-the-art in MSFS.

The integrated EFB is definitely not "meaningless" for the many simmers who DON'T subscribe to Navigraph. I enjoy the elegant inclusion of Navigraph in the EFBs of the Fenix / FBW A320s since it doesn't break the immersion. Clicking on a ever-present "handlebar" to open a "window" kills it for me in the same way I enjoy PF3 because there is no annoying ATC window.

At the end of the day its a moot point since the EFB is coming for the 737. However, as it stands today the MSFS 737NG offers LESS functionality than its Prepar3D counterpart. You don't need ACARS or clickable vent levers either, but they too are missing vs the Prepar3D product and its fair to point out those, and any other omissions irrespective of their importance to the operation of the aircraft.

The statement was made in this very thread, so yes, some folks have actually reached that conclusion.  😉

Tabbing or shifting your view over to a modeled EFB in its mount is no different than expanding a minimized navigraph toolbar... it's still just another viewpoint on a display.   One big EFB if you will...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

1 hour ago, flyhalf said:

The difference is - real world, the EFB is just a bag of info, charts and tools (replacing the actual bag they used to carry).

In MSFS it now fuels your plane, boards your passengers and does pushback! 

In the real world I have to pick up a mic to get any of that done... where's the immersion?  😉

I mean... all of those things can be done via menus too, in any other place than the EFB... you're still just pushing buttons, so why would it matter what they look like?   

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

Looks to me that PMDG are clearly in over their head with bringing their addons up to the expected standard of MSFS 2020 (simbrief integration, EFB, texture work) - so why not just outsource stuff to the many talented freeware modders we have now?

I mean, isn't that exactly what Asobo and Microsoft did? They brought in the talented WT guys, result: probably the best default avionic package available.

Win win for everyone.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1