Sign in to follow this  
SierraDelta

GSX PRO is out

That is silly. 

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

1 hour ago, Heavy Metal said:

So please just stand for your product and accept to take the heat (remember, the client is always right even if he is not)

I have nothing whatsoever to do with FSDT and I do not own GSX, however, I dislike reading unwarranted criticism.

It appears that even a very detailed explanation of why things are as they are is still not enough.
The client is indeed not always right, the client is sometimes excessively demanding, completely unreasonable, impervious to even the most reasonable of explanations or impossible to satisfy.
Sometimes the client succeeds in combining all of these attributes into one person.
The fact that the client may have spent "good" money does not entitle the client to behave in whatever way they may wish to.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

@Stearmandriver

At least now you know what some of the challenges Umberto is facing and some of the reasons why. Although you may not have felt it was relevant to your scenario, I can appreciate the transparency of @virtuali to take the time to explain the how’s and why’s of what is going on under the hood and behind the scenes.

None of which was explained, or even hinted at, in their marketing...wonder why?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

When I read some of the reviews in this thread I really feel like some have been lulled too close to the wall...
😄

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

When I reset position (expediting to push back), I get a message that the coualt engine has not started.  starting from the system tray does not start it.  Where is the file located so I can start it ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Marc, just wait a couple of seconds and retry.
GSX has to reinitialize the process after resetting the position and it takes a few seconds.
Re-launching Couatl won't help. 😉

Edited by David Roch
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

4 hours ago, Heavy Metal said:

Or at least should have released it a) after SU10 when they seemingly expect those airport cache and bgl file issues to have been resolved and

GSX has been using an airport cache since 2012 when it came out, having this new API will surely help making it work better, but it's not something we couldn't do without.

The only reason why we'll have an API to begin with, is because Microsoft knows utilities might require to access the airport data for some reason and, especially on Xbox, where everything is sold through the Marketplace, without it, nobody could possibly do a whole class of utilities on the Xbox.  SU10 was supposed to be out by August 23rd, and the announcement about the delay came out, as an incredible coincidence, on the same day GSX came out, August 18th, during a Twitch chat. 

Not that this would have made lots of difference, since the current SU10 Navdata API is still not complete, doesn't include data about Jetways and it hasn't been confirmed if it will ever will but, even if it did, it's not as if it would solve every possible problem with Jetways, even with an API to read where they are, it won't help much if they still behave like they do, docking in strange places, with no way to know that, and with visual bugs as well.

We don't even know if these problems will *ever* be fixed, other than pushing and constantly reporting this problems, there isn't much we can do, it's not as if GSX is unusable if jetways don't always work as expected.

And yes, Passengers can be prevented to use a Jetway, which is where the most likely bugs will happen: it's enough to select the "No Jetway" option in the parking customization page, and they will use Stairs and a Bus ( or a custom walking path, if desired ), which is what will happen in real life if the jetway is out of order so, it's not as if users don't have options.

5 hours ago, Heavy Metal said:

b) with 3D passengers added at a later time (or as a beta option with a possibility to turn them on/off) when they knew these models will not work as expected

First, let's put things in perspective, it's not that Passengers don't work, they surely  do, especially when there isn't a Jetway. If there is a jetway, is not they always fails, most of the time they work, provided the jetway has docked to the Main door.

The issue with LOD bugs that result in jetways apparently disconnecting has been reported to Asobo more than a year ago, and it's affecting every jetway ( including default ones ) from almost every scenery developer but for some reason we should have waited ( and how long, exactly, considering it has been a year and the bug is still there ? ) to release GSX "just" because now that we made passenger going through them, the bug has now become our "responsibility" as well ?

Should all the affected scenery developers that have been releasing sceneries with jetways have pulled their products or delay their release until the bug is fixed ?

But that's even besides the point.

Passengers are not the main GSX "selling point", they are just one of the many features GSX has, most users will probably tell you the most important feature is the automatic Pushback, somebody might find the Follow Me to be a useful feature, others will like the Marshaller and VGDS more, someone else might like the Deicers, others might say the Cargo and Baggage loaders, and others might like the editor features to allows to improve any scenery and share their work.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if people would be happier if Umberto just answered to anyone: "It is under review and we'll look into it"...

If you are unhappy with GSX that's fine, at least appreciate the transparency and depth of Umberto's answers. He spends so much time trying to explain things to people, even (and especially) if they are obviously not ever going to like or buy GSX. This isn't denial or blame shifting, because this could be said with much less and much more superficious words, like e.g. some other big developer based in a german speaking country is known for.

As for releasing GSX knowing the still poor state of the SDK or other MSFS limitations - sure he could have waited 2 more years hoping that Asobo does things for him, but come on, he has a business to keep going and some mouths to be fed. You cannot delay your biggest, best selling product for so much time without risking your entire company. Look what PMDG did, they released that "Early Access" 737 - in a good state, sure, but still unfinished in certain regards and basically unchanged from the P3D version years back. Randazzo admitted in a podcast that they are draining their cash reserves because of the long delay of the 737. And PMDG is much bigger than FSDT with much more profit (I suppose), so if they are forced to do these things, you cannot expect FSDT to stay put for 4-5 years and wait for Asobo to do some miracles.

That said by now GSX is in an acceptable state and definitely far from broken or anything like that. It will only improve, that's for sure.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Fiorentini, i do admire your defence of Umberto and I agree with you, GSX is Brand new to MSFS if people would just give it some time to settle down, it will be fantastic just like it was in p3d, I guess it's a sign of the times people want perfection instantly these days no patience sad really , Umberto WILL make GSX great again !!!! just like he did before . God bless the Queen 

• Like 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

On 9/9/2022 at 7:05 PM, Stearmandriver said:

Because I've been quoted a couple times in posts "complaining about complainers" here, I'll clarify my personal reason for my posts. I understand that much of what's been said wasn't aimed specifically at me, but for what was:

My point in posting wasn't to denigrate GSX; it was simply to alert others in the same position that I was in - those on the fence about buying it - that there are currently many issues getting it to install and run properly. People like @Dreamflight767, who asked on the last page about the state of the program. I found myself wishing that I'd taken the time to read up on the issues on the FSDT forum before purchasing the program. So I posted here hoping that advice might help others. 

I did not post to "bash" any software.  I did not post seeking support - I would of course have done that through official support channels.  (And of course I read the manual on installing; none of this is mentioned in there.)

The dissertation on *why* the plethora of install problems exists was interesting, but not really relevant to the point I personally was making, anyway. My point was just to tell people they exist - the why doesn't really matter to folks like me, who are just trying to decide if it's worth the trouble. 

To summarize (based not only on my experience but that of many others on the FSDT forum): the program can fail to install correctly and when that happens, it will not function.  The solution seems to be to just keep uninstalling and reinstalling until you get a winner.  It took me 3 or 4 tries; I forget but I know I'd decided it was my last attempt.  Apparently the dev is hopeful that SU10 will resolve some of this. 

Once I got it installed correctly, it works pretty well. Bugs here and there but I'd expected that in young software that has to interface with the sim and its multitude of incorrect parking spots and taxi links etc.  It overall strikes me as "worth it" once it's working. But be ready for potential install troubles. 

Thanks for posting what you did it because it did provide very good insight as to where this program is at the moment. I am interested but being someone coming from FS9 and never had any of the other sim platforms i am very much fully vetting all addons of interest to me. So i very much appreciate your comments.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

10 hours ago, MarkW said:

When I reset position (expediting to push back), I get a message that the coualt engine has not started.  starting from the system tray does not start it.  Where is the file located so I can start it ?

there should  be  a  short  cut  on  your  desk  top,   if  not  go  to  your  start  menu  under fsdreamteam  folder  its  there  as  well.   File  is  located  in  your  addon manger  with the  rest  of  gsx  is  located

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

@Stearmandriver

Hi:

Can you explain how you know if GSX didn't/did "install correctly"?

You know it's interesting, couple pages have passed since I asked.  Nobody really answered the question.  There's just shouting at each other about nothing really even related to the product itself.  Just a bunch of garbage about customer service stuff and people's opinions about people's opinions.  Wish I had some of that free time.  

Thanks

Edited by Dreamflight767
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

4 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

@Stearmandriver

Hi:

Can you explain how you know if GSX didn't/did "install correctly"?

You know it's interesting, couple pages have passed since I asked.  Nobody really answered the question.  There's just shouting at each other about nothing really even related to the product itself.  Just a bunch of garbage about customer service stuff and people's opinions about people's opinions.  Wish I had some of that free time.  

Thanks

As near as I can tell (and I'm no expert at it, this was just my experience) the answer is... when it works. 

The first time I tried, I could get nothing in the sim except a message "the couatl scripting engine hasn't started."  This even after manually re-starting it and verifying it was a running process in task manager. 

Second time (and third), the menu would open in the sim and show options, but I couldn't do anything because no matter what airport I loaded up at, it said there were no parking spots at that airport. 

Final try, and for some reason it worked and is now working pretty well.  The couatl engine still seems buggy and requires an occasional restart, but the variety of push and arrival options are nice when they work smoothly. 

Andrew Crowley