Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Asobo may dumb down wind gusts again - stop them please!

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think some of these "sim pilots" that can't handle some turbulence in the sim , would need about 4 barf bags just to do a one hour flight in a real  C 172 on a summer day. 😉

I was in a C206 as a passenger with an English guy on a tour of the Grand Canyon in the middle of summer. This was his first trip on a GA plane. It was hot like a hair dryer was over your face and body, ear-splitting loud you couldn't even think, and shaking like we were in a roller coaster. He was behind me and all he did throughout the flight was barf and barf and barf. He did it often enough that we had to give him all our barf bags. Hearing him barf ruined the trip for me since I had to try extra hard from not barfing because of him.

As soon as the plane landed, he jumped out the plane and laid down the taxiway. The pilot asked him if he should call 911 and he said no. I've always wondered if he asked and received a refund for that trip. A trip of a lifetime for him for sure. 

• Like 3

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I just don't understand why they don't add a slider for turbulence, so everyone can adjust to his own liking.

And so many more weather related sliders.

As I already mentioned several times in the recent two years in various contexts:

Asobo, please take a look at ActiveSky in P3D and see what weather related options would be adequate for a state of the art flight simulator.

• Like 1

Woww, good pilot, but with sutch a weather this wind gusts could be easy possible..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

I was in a C206 as a passenger with an English guy on a tour of the Grand Canyon in the middle of summer. This was his first trip on a GA plane. It was hot like a hair dryer was over your face and body, ear-splitting loud you couldn't even think, and shaking like we were in a roller coaster. He was behind me and all he did throughout the flight was barf and barf and barf. He did it often enough that we had to give him all our barf bags. Hearing him barf ruined the trip for me since I had to try extra hard from not barfing because of him.

As soon as the plane landed, he jumped out the plane and laid down the taxiway. The pilot asked him if he should call 911 and he said no. I've always wondered if he asked and received a refund for that trip. A trip of a lifetime for him for sure. 

What does that have to do with how gusts are implemented in the sim? 

Tony Fontaine

Voted, no real world experiance here, but i want a more realistic experiance.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

But this is more a question of each aircraft's flight model and not necessarily the core flight sim's simulation of gusts/turbulence etc right.  Asobo might not have modelled the default aircrafts' FMs enough to depict intertia properly, but that is a separate topic from what's being discussed here. Are you guys noticing this extreme effect on yaw in any high fidelity 3rd party aircraft? Aircrafts with properly implemented FMs combined with SU10's core live weather gusts/turbulence model I think is at a good place currently, and hopefully gets even better with the atmospheric airflow advancements coming in SU11.

It's all aircraft - and it's especially noticeable with some of the highest fidelity products like the 414aw and the 310r. Two things need to be true for the rubber banding to occur - there needs to be a crosswind, and a high gust - which is why it usually occurs with real weather, and not with most of the weather presets.

I think you are correct - the issue is more with the flight modeling than the wind modeling. However, in either case, the results is that "the effect of the wind" is overcooked in one specific dimension (yaw). I hope that they don't react to the feedback and tone down the wind, instead of addressing the root cause (the FM).

Not to imply that any of this is easy - I'm sure that adjusting anything as core as inertia in the flight model has hundreds of other unintended consequences. Looking forward to seeing what SU11 brings.

Edited by enright
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, enright said:

It's all aircraft - and it's especially noticeable with some of the highest fidelity products like the 414aw and the 310r.

And on the Just Flight Arrow:

MSFS Just Flight Turbo Arrow PA28R shaking demo - YouTube

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Good thread. I voted to keep the turbulence and keep improving on it, especially in clouds. As I wrote in another thread, I suspect some people want to have it reduced as it indeed increases the difficulty. As turbulence and gusts do in real life. 

Anyone else remember the turbulence thread a while back? A lot of people were begging Asobo to reduce turbulence or introduce a slider. I don't mind a slider but I don't agree with a global reduction of turbulence. 

I really recommend watching 737NG's video. He has a lot of inside information and it's quite impressive how he handles the aircraft in challenging conditions. 

Of course another solution is to give an option in the settings to reduce the effect of sim gusts for those that have an issue.  Put it in the same menu as the other realism settings.

Everyone uses the sim in different ways which is why options to tune it to fit your comfort zone are welcome IMHO.  I like the challenge personally and appreciate the feedback from full time pilots only to get that “warm fuzzy” that the sim is behaving in the realm of plausibility.  That said, as with any feature that relies a bit on subjective “feel”, a slider might be wise even if just to allow accommodation of the range of opinions from the experts.

Bottom line, however, is to hope Asobo avoids just appeasing the “lowest common denominator” if that rumor is true.

Voted.  Thanks Abrams

• Like 3

Unfortunately, there are many people believing that the actual SU10 resembles turbulence somehow correctly. 

In my assessment as a professional pilot that actually flew 747 and presently qualified in 380, I find actual reaction regarding turbulence to be between 10 to 15% exaggerated. 
More so, is this harsh aircraft's reaction to it.
As an observation, a 747 will not be bumped around to such a magnitude as is now in this MSFS at 10 KTS wind gusts (changes) and with so ample speed variations.
All this exaggeration in MSFS2020 is carried over to all airplanes.
At the same time, each pilot will perceive turbulence differently, another factor will be the number of airplanes flown and what is used to. The more types you fly and the more experience you have you can somehow correctly assess a situation like this.
Looking at the video, I agree with certain statements but find it difficult to agree that is something that "I like it", especially when he's jerking flight controls like that and overcontrolling the inputs (PIO). Typical for a new guy in the airplane.
It's not all about what a C152 or C172 pilot experiences in a traffic pattern, hot or windy day, or on a short flight between airports in a limited environment to be considered a standard and to fight vigorously that is normal. 
If we look at MSFS2020 as a "PC flight simulator" we need this issue addressed (tone down a bit this turbulence factor and more importantly the aircraft reaction to wind conditions), if we want an arcade game and want to be bounced around unrealistically like that, we have it.

All this can be accomplished very easily by ASOBO with a turbulence slider. 
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, CaptBillyBob said:

You shouldn't be getting bumped around in a large aircraft if the wind is 3 kts at night with the speed tape and wind direction/velocity arrows jumping around. It doesn't need to be 'dumbed down' but implemented correctly. The way I see it is you get turbulence when you shouldn't sometimes and hardly any when you should. (Cumulous clouds) 

100% correct!

12 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

100% correct!

I have almost 2,000 hours in MSFS, and have never had that happen, so stop blowing smoke. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can't read the official forums anymore. The constant dumbing down of MSFS to keep lazy kids with Xbox's happy is sad to see.

Voted for more gusts and cloud turbulence :)

• Like 1

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Better yet how about a turbulence slider for people that don't want it

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K