Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Asobo may dumb down wind gusts again - stop them please!

Alright.  As I am not a real life pilot, I have been asking around some real life pilots what they think of the new wind gusts in SU 10.  I think several real life pilots said they like it (I would also like to hear back from @sd_flyer on what he thinks of the new wind gusts in SU 10). 737 NG Driver said that Asobo may dumb down the gusts again, because many "simmers" and not real life pilots, have complained that it's too hard to fly in SU 10 now.

Anyways, if you are a real life pilot and you like the new wind gusts, and you think they they are realistic, please post in this thread that you don't want Asobo to dumb down the wind gusts again: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/thanks-asobo-this-turbulence-is-absolutely-spot-on/544851/24.  There is also a poll in that thread with 3 options: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/thanks-asobo-this-turbulence-is-absolutely-spot-on/544851/57.  Please vote for the option, "I like it but would like to see turbulence improved, including interaction with clouds" because I think at the moment, there isn't any turbulence from being inside clouds.

I am basing my vote to keep wind gusts from the several real life pilots that I read comments from, including 737 NG Driver, who really likes the wind gusts:

I may change my opinion if other real life pilots say the gusts should be dumbed down, but for now, from the feedback that I have gathered, more real life pilots tend to like the new gusts and turbulence in SU 10.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 21
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I think some of these "sim pilots" that can't handle some turbulence in the sim , would need about 4 barf bags just to do a one hour flight in a real  C 172 on a summer day. 😉

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think some of these "sim pilots" that can't handle some turbulence in tghe sim , would need about 4 barf bags just to do a one hour flight in a real  C 172 on a summer day. 😉

Thanks @Bobsk8. Since you are a real life pilot, if you like the gusts in SU 10 too, I say we keep it!

• Like 2

Im type rated on the 737,757,767 and crj. With that said, the wind gusts and overall “windyness” of the sim feels better IMO since SU10. I was flying low around the hills in SFO in the 172 and the wings were dropping at times. 

Take this for whats its worth……not much. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Thanks for the heads up, voting now. 

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Thanks for the head ups - I have voted as well. I don't think they should dumb this down for the sake of it.

I have voted: "I like it but would like to see turbulence improved, including interaction with clouds."

• Like 3

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

3 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Im type rated on the 737,757,767 and crj. With that said, the wind gusts and overall “windyness” of the sim feels better IMO since SU10. I was flying low around the hills in SFO in the 172 and the wings were dropping at times. 

Take this for whats its worth……not much. 

Thank you for your feedback! Always great to get more feedback from IRL pilot!

Not sure if 737NG Driver is guessing Asobo might dumb down gusts/turbulence or if he has some insider knowledge, but either way ya I hope they don't do any artificial reduction or complete removal of gusts in live weather again. Keep in mind the more advanced atomospheric airflow simulation coming in SU11 with the 20km cocoon of airflow around aircraft getting CFD treatment etc, and what Seb has mentioned would be much more realistic simulation of turbulence, up/down drafts, vortexes, etc... given that I doubt Asobo would be doing any dumbing purely due to a subset of msfs simmers being vocal about SU10's reintroduction of gusts in live weather, but who knows.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

The strength of wind gusts might be realistic - but their effect on yaw is overdone IMHO - especially in cross winds. The result is a rubber-banding effect where planes snap towards the direction of wind and snap back as if the nose were being pulled by a spring.  Some have referred to this as “excessive weathervaning.”

I’m not a professional pilot, but I have flown a plane in real life, and I also have millions of miles as a passenger in every size plane imaginable - and none of them have ever violently pivoted about their yaw axis by 5-10 degrees to the left and right while banking in a crosswind (thankfully).

I think the moment of inertia just needs to be tweaked in the flight model to tone this down a bit. 

Having said that I hope they don’t try to tackle the above quirk by softening the winds in general. Everything else about the winds and turbulence DOES seem realistic at the moment - and I do think the atmosphere feels more alive.

Edited by enright
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, enright said:

The strength of wind gusts might be realistic - but their effect on yaw is overdone IMHO - especially in cross winds. The result is a rubber-banding effect where planes snap towards the direction of wind and snap back as if the nose were being pulled by a spring.  Some have referred to this as “excessive weathervaning.”

I’m not a professional pilot, but I have flown a plane in real life, and I also have millions of miles as a passenger in every size plane imaginable - and none of them have ever violently pivoted about their yaw axis by 5-10 degrees to the left and right while banking in a crosswind (thankfully).

I think the moment of inertia needs to be tweaked in the flight model to tone this down a bit. 

Having said that I hope they don’t try to tackle the above quirk by softening the winds in general. Everything else about the winds and turbulence DOES seem realistic at the moment - and I do think thr atmosphere feels more alive.

Definitely agree with you. They still havent figured out how interia works on planes. 

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

13 minutes ago, enright said:

I think the moment of inertia just needs to be tweaked in the flight model to tone this down a bit. 

Having said that I hope they don’t try to tackle the above quirk by softening the winds in general. Everything else about the winds and turbulence DOES seem realistic at the moment - and I do think thr atmosphere feels more alive

11 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Definitely agree with you. They still havent figured out how interia works on planes. 

But this is more a question of each aircraft's flight model and not necessarily the core flight sim's simulation of gusts/turbulence etc right.  Asobo might not have modelled the default aircrafts' FMs enough to depict intertia properly, but that is a separate topic from what's being discussed here. Are you guys noticing this extreme effect on yaw in any high fidelity 3rd party aircraft? Aircrafts with properly implemented FMs combined with SU10's core live weather gusts/turbulence model I think is at a good place currently, and hopefully gets even better with the atmospheric airflow advancements coming in SU11.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Good thread. I voted to keep the turbulence and keep improving on it, especially in clouds. As I wrote in another thread, I suspect some people want to have it reduced as it indeed increases the difficulty. As turbulence and gusts do in real life. 

Anyone else remember the turbulence thread a while back? A lot of people were begging Asobo to reduce turbulence or introduce a slider. I don't mind a slider but I don't agree with a global reduction of turbulence. 

I really recommend watching 737NG's video. He has a lot of inside information and it's quite impressive how he handles the aircraft in challenging conditions. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

48 minutes ago, enright said:

The strength of wind gusts might be realistic - but their effect on yaw is overdone IMHO - especially in cross winds.

I agree.  I just completed a Hjet flight into Cincinnati Lunken (KLUK) Rwy 25.  Current weather conditions - winds light and variable from the south (190/03).  Both AWOS and Metroblue metars agreed.  On very short final @ 200 AGL and 115 knts I was pushed off to the right and needed a significant correction to touch down on the runway.  Was like a major crosswind gust. No way that should occur with the reported winds, especially with a light jet.  I am afraid just like icing and thunder/lightening that when they decide to tweak they first badly overdo it, then seems they remove it entirely.  Little if any middle ground.

On the other hand, my winds aloft since SU10 have been spot on.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You shouldn't be getting bumped around in a large aircraft if the wind is 3 kts at night with the speed tape and wind direction/velocity arrows jumping around. It doesn't need to be 'dumbed down' but implemented correctly. The way I see it is you get turbulence when you shouldn't sometimes and hardly any when you should. (Cumulous clouds) 

• Like 4

Tony Fontaine

They've been dumbing down reflects since launch, remember Seb talking about it during an early Q&A? IIRC it was too do with storms and immense wind, so they dumbed it down so people wouldn't complain when they flew into them (not that you would in real life of course).

If what this YouTuber says is true (I've not watched it) then it doesn't surprise me in the slightest, Microsoft will want the majority happy not the hardcore few so it's up to Asobo to find a medium whereby most are happy.

• Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)