Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Asobo may dumb down wind gusts again - stop them please!

I don't get the discussion here. Introducing a slider or options will not ruin the experience for those of us that prefer to fly in live weather. I've been using it since I got the sim two years ago, but I wouldn't be offended that someone, somewhere would use live weather and reduce the turbulence...  🤷‍♂️

Thousands of people use this sim, so it's not exactly shocking that there are many different preferences...

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 4

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

30 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Hmmm…..what super weird is people advocating for less choice instead of more. But I guess it takes all types.

Well there are choices just turn off live weather all together and set it as you please or use a preset.  Why **** with live weather with some whack sliders you guys are not making Asobos job any easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I don't get the discussion here. Introducing a slider or options will not ruin the experience for those of us that prefer to fly in live weather. I've been using it since I got the sim two years ago, but I wouldn't be offended that someone, somewhere would use live weather and reduce the turbulence

I guess the point some are trying to make is that manual weather gives full configurability so do we really need the additional configurability for live weather... I get that it'd be nice for some to take live weather as a base and then remove/add/change aspects of it (so it's like a quasi real/live weather with manual overrides).  In the grand scheme of things, given that configurable weather is already available in the form of manual weather, if the work required by Asobo to add configurability to live weather is non-trivial (and it might be given that live weather is being fed in from online services), then I'd rather they focus on other priority items than this, IMHO.  If it's not too much effort, then sure why not.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Active Sky had an option to limit surface winds... it would be awesome if there was such a setting in MSFS.  I like to fly with changing real time weather for the clouds, precipitation, etc., but there are times where it's nice to not have to deal with strong winds upon landing.  Something like this would be nice because it would give the pilot more control of their simulation session.

10 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

It seems that some people on this forum had (quite sadly) had made it their lives vocation to sing the praises of MSFS regardless of reality and froth all over when someone dares point out the sims shortcomings - of which there are still aplenty. 

LOL, well, when so many of these guys go out and spend $5000 for the latest video card (in addition to all of their other hardware investment) to get the best graphics and performance humanly possible, it's hard to accept that anything MSFS-related is not perfect ALL of the time.   Considering all of Aosbo's compromises in realism (ground friction physics and winds gusts together pretty much ruin everything now), someone who only spends $900 for all of their hardware basically has the same overall simming experience.    In other words, if you've spent $10000 for computer hardware to run MSFS2020 on a PC and a wind gust rolls your Cessna upside down in the pattern, you're simming on the same realism level as the kid playing MSFS2020 on his Xbox, joyfully crashing his plane on purpose because it's fun and Mom thinks he's doing his homework.      

Edited by hobart escin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

You've seen his licence?

Oh my, you're opening a can of worms here, lol.   Didn't you know - everyone is a real type-rated pilot here on the flight simulator forums.   😉  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

In the grand scheme of things, given that configurable weather is already available in the form of manual weather, if the work required by Asobo to add configurability to live weather is non-trivial (and it might be given that live weather is being fed in from cloud services), then I'd rather they focus on other priority items than this, IMHO.  If it's not too much effort, then sure why not.

True. There's already the option of turning things down if it gets too much. I'd rather they focus their manpower on other things, to be honest. As being able to tweak live weather is more of a... quality of life issue. 

Although IMO having AI traffic that behaves in a little less non-sensical way would be far more preferable. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I guess the point some are trying to make is that manual weather gives full configurability

Is it, though? Maybe I just haven’t delved far enough into it, but can you set different weather from departure to destination with pressure changes, fronts, associated cloud coverage, wind shifts, etc…all of the good stuff that comes with live weather…just without an over abundance of turbulence if I so wanted to choose?

Edited by snglecoil

Chris

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

And you can't seem to get the fact that you can adjust the weather in MSFS the way you want it,

There is a level of sophistication with live weather that I genuinely don't know how to replicate using custom weather. Custom weather seems to be a global setting that doesn't allow natural transitions with different weather from departure to destination. For instance There is no ability that I can find to create a customized front and weather transitions associated with that frontal system. This is the brilliance of how ASOBO has implemented live weather. I've already given a use case for including that level of sophistication in weather depiction but suppressing turbulence if it hinders a learning objective or even if it detracts from a user's enjoyment of the sim. If you can show me how to accomplish that using custom weather, I'd be thrilled.

• Upvote 1

Chris

Knowing a number of small plane pilots (152/172) over the years. It is pretty common to hear them talk about days they are not flying due to the wind conditions and tales of getting tossed around violently sometimes even when they didn't expect it. It is what it is sometimes. Luckily, with FS, you can just go somewhere else where the weather is calmer or dial in your own weather. Hopefully, Microsoft doesn't dumb it down.

• Like 4

I was flying into 2nc0 the other day on a hot afternoon with the cessna 172 and about got swatted out of the air coming in on approach from a downdraft and had to firewall it for a couple seconds ...  Absolutely had a blast working her in.  And I thought to myself it was a little too much on the windy side coming in for a 172.  So next time it's a little on the gusty side better come in with a plane with more power and a little more weight. Cessna 208 feels much safer around terrain cause of the power of that good ole Pratt&Whitney PT6A. The simmers that are tripping out over turbulence should use this https://www.windy.com/-Thermals-ccl?ccl,36.951,18.281,3

Just avoid the red areas on thermals near mountains and I think there would be less griping about the real world 😮

Part of preflight is oh yeah checking the weather. Oh and if you are thinking about scud running in a small ga near the mountains maybe should do that in early morning, late afternoon, winter or make sure the planes been modified from Mike Patey.  And know your planes limits on crosswinds.  Finally a simulator that will put planes crosswind limits to the test and hopefully kick are buttz if we wanna step outside of the parameters.!

Just sharing a small bit of my consciousness and very little experience I have in the real world in the hot plains ozarks & windy midwest.

Happy Landings,

JW

• Like 2

Oh and if you are thinking about scud running in a small ga near the mountains maybe should do that in early morning, late afternoon, winter

Scud running ...... you are VFR under an overcast with little chance to climb and be VFR on top, very little thermal activity,  I dont understand your comment about avoiding mid day, in fact mid day would be better as the temperature will have risen increasing the dew point depression and the cloud base will be higher but still little thermal activity under the overcast

There are a lot of arguments for allowing modification to live weather because the pre-sets are not dynamic. To me the whole idea of live weather is just that, live, unedited and not adjustable by the user. If people want dynamic weather in the pre-sets, they have two choices, use Rex Weather which has that or lobby Asobo for dynamic pre-sets in the sim. But messing with Live weather, no, that to me is just a horrible idea.

Edited by cbcdesign
  • Like 1

@snglecoil and others, yes fair points that currently the manual weather applies globally, but I wonder how per-location and location-specific manual weather could be practically implemented.. how fine grained should the level of control be in terms of regions to set weather for, and how should the sim transition and blend weather between different regions that the user has set up, etc etc.

Like I said, to allow customization of live weather might not be trivial (or even possible?) given that it is calculated and fed into the MSFS client code running on our machines from MS/Asobo servers as well as Meteoblue's .. but if the effort is not too much, MS/Asobo can be petitioned for this and at least get this on their backlog. Not knowing exactly how the MSFS server and client code work so just guessing.. if it's indeed a case where the weather and all final attributes of it at each point in space is calculated server-side and then final data to render is pushed out to the client machines, then any customization of that would be hard to do on the individual client machines (i.e. our MSFS environments). If it's a case of serving up individually customized live weather right from the server-side to client-side, then that's an issue of massive scaling and hardware/computing resources on the MS/Asobo end and I'm not sure if that'd be feasible. Again just guessing here not knowing the innards of how their code and systems work.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD