Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

6 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

What an anathema!

Anathema?  Were you declaring it to be an heresy?

• Like 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Living in a dorm at CSU Chico while in the thick of my Computer Science undergraduate degree.  Heck, at that time I thought that having a full screen editor on an ascii terminal was living the high life; having a personal computer was a luxury well beyond my means though I had a few friends that did.  Dang, those seemed so impressive (and given the tech at that time, they were).

• Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Working as a life guard at Ceasar's Palace Las Vegas on the weekends (full time summer) and an architectural firm in the city.  Just got my own apartment, two girlfriends, plenty of money,  I would be starting college in about a year - good times.

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Just starting my final year at Loughborough ( Aero Eng ) following a summer internship at RAE Farnborough.

Edited by mobeans10
Spelling

Playing with Wordstar probably on my new IBM PC, at work with an  Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz and 16KB of Ram with a 51/4 floppy disk and MS-dos. Was it version 1.1? Lotus 123 didn't come out till January 26, 1983 I think. At some point I upgraded to an AT with 256K and a color monitor. I flew hundreds of patterns at Meigs  buzzed the Sears Tower as I went past.

• Like 1

11 Nov 1982 - observing the silence for Remembrance Day of course! We'd lost soldiers, sailors and airmen that year thanks to Argentina and the Falklands so Remembrance Day was more notable than usual. 

Also 2 months into my new career which would occupy me for the next 40 years.

• Like 4

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I was soldier („Panzergrenadier“) in the Bundeswehr (military service 15 month) in Northeim, Germany. I did not yet know anything about computers or PC games.

preparing the soil in the maintenance of the coffee plantation, rural area, helping my wife to take care of our firstborn. Also cleaning National recorder head to be able to read the software via cassette tape (TDK). Hardware a Sinclair Z80 with a Philco Black and White 9 inch TV. Good times. Currently even better, with this work of art, FS2020.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm currently 63 years-old, and I've lived in this same house in Huntington, West Virginia for 63 years. I was brought home from the hospital to the bedroom where I currently sleep. In November of 1982, however, I was spending the month in Florida.

• Like 4

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Was fulfilling my Air Force service and after that back to the university 😎 Time flies...🤪

Edited by awf

André

Just now a tweet from MS/Asobo.. then vs now, the nostalgia is on point. Looking forward to getting the feels on the new Meigs Field coming in the 40th anniv release 🙂

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

At school probably. Computers were big things in big buildings for science nerds I thought. A class member who was the best at math sent computer cards with holes to a center far away to get it run an program on a mainframe or so...

• Like 1

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

On 11/6/2022 at 9:34 PM, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

Probably sitting in a college class, if we didn’t have the day off for Veterans Day here in the US. 

• Like 1

I was working for a bank and had bought a Commodore 64. I was so taken with my new toy, especially the 1541 disk drive that I enrolled in a correspondence course in Microcomputer Technology and went to work repairing computers. I buy a new computer every couple of years, and the first program I get is usually the flight simulator. Most of the time it's the MS flight sim, but there have been a few notable others...

• Like 2