Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary

34 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Such a depressive mood in this topic…

Who’s depressed? I’m not. I’m flying the aircraft I love which, with one exception, are not available in MSFS.

I’m looking forward to the release of Concorde which is so much better than those available in any other sim. Happy days! 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not really doing anything to celebrate, other than downloading the update.  I am reflecting though on the progress that has been made in 40 years, regardless of the sim you prefer today they all are incredible when comparing to where it all started.  Really quite amazing given what the evolution in technology and talent of many individual developers has brought to the aviation fan, especially those of us that have never taking up flying for real and get a small taste of the real thing through our simulators.  Enjoy folks, great times lie ahead for this hobby!

• Upvote 3

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

18 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m looking forward to the release of Concorde which is so much better than those available in any other sim. Happy days! 😁

Speaking of Concorde, still no word from FSLabs and I know you have been asking for months but they remain silent. 🤔 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And the magnificent FS Labs 64-bit Concorde due in a few months … hopefully. 😉

Is there any news on this Ray?

Back in mid May they said it was going into beta testing in 6 to 8 weeks?

10 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

Speaking of Concorde, still no word from FSLabs and I know you have been asking for months but they remain silent. 🤔 

They replied to a request for screenshots saying something would be posted quite soon.

3 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Is there any news on this Ray?

Back in mid May they said it was going into beta testing in 6 to 8 weeks?

I think they miscalculated that by quite a margin. See my reply above. I don’t think we’ll be waiting too much longer.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Like Ray, I also won't be "celebrating" the 40th anniversary of MS flightsim. Given they have now withdrawn from the market twice, it really isn't anything I want to risk spending a lot of money on MSFS only to have the plug pulled in a few years' time. At least with P3D, so long as it is activated and your pc keeps working, it is reasonably future proof. I also don't think MSFS has delivered yet on what they promised. Still very few complex addons, no weather radar, the weather in general is inferior to XP11 and P3D. The in-air visuals are good, so long as you have the latest kit, but on the ground it still looks too cartoony for me and you see bouncing aircraft, and aircraft without the wheels touching the ground etc. I would be very surprised if the MSFS franchise is making money, especially given the development costs that they have spent and still need to spend and all the streaming costs. However, we don't really have any independent data on the financials, so I could be wrong. It depends on how much of a cut MS takes on store sales. One thing I can guarantee though is that if it isn't making money for them they will simply pull the plug yet again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I'll be flying the 310 like crazy (if it does come out) in celebration! Never had one and can't stop talking about it ❤️

I just hope it is very high fidelity, it does look like it, fingers crossed!

if it comes closes to their (inibuilds) xp version with a lot better graphics we would expect in the new engine then it will be really nice one... Its a nice classic tubeliner...

Cheers T.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft sets the dream for many and because of their initiative we saw competition born which has given us the most amazing collection of flight simulators. That to me is worth celebrating. 

Without the birth of MSFS someone may have not started DCS, XPlane, Aerofly, Fly!, third party developers and definelty P3D would not be here. 

It all started 40 years ago, we finally are at a place where the dream of flight to those who can’t access it can be shared with all of us. That’s worth celebrating. 

Pick your poison, pick your whiskey, it doesn’t matter. I will enjoy this momentous day with all of you. Regardless if you byob or share the bottle of Chivas with me. 

So, yes there is call for celebration. Because whether you decided to stay in FS9, FSX, XPlane, or now MSFS 2020, we still have so much thanks to when it all started back 40 years ago. 

• Like 2

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

1 hour ago, simfan1983 said:

so I could be wrong. 

Whilst I have no intention to turn this into yet another “mine’s bigger than yours” thread, I have to say yes, you are wrong with just about everything you listed.

3 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Such a depressive mood in this topic compared to the enthusiasm, good memories and excitement in the other one. I know which party/crowd I will be joining this weekend! 😀

I'm sorry but which one would thát be ?...  

Jan

12 minutes ago, Javiz said:

I'm sorry but which one would thát be ?...  

There is another (much more cheerful) topic about the 40th year aniversary of the franchise in the MSFS forum.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 minute ago, GCBraun said:

There is another (much more cheerful) topic about the 40th year aniversary of the franchise on the MSFS forum.

Ahh....thát one ! 😉  Thanks GCB, i'll have a look there. I am also a bit dissapointed here, reading about what I, for one, have been waiting for for just about the whole year. I mean finally a DC-3 in MSFS, a Beaver, an A310 that i loved so much in FS9, better sailing, better helicoptering ( Ok, hopefully..). And all free and all. What can be wrong about that. Personally i can't wait. 😎

• Like 1

Jan

To be fair, the 40th anniversary was really back in Dec 2019, based on the release of Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator under the Sub Logic label in Dec 1979.  Microsoft later bought the software from Sub Logic, ported it to the IBM PC, and released it under the Microsoft label, so their release of Microsoft Flight Simulator in 1982 isn't really the birthday of the flight simulator genre.  It was Flight Simulator before Bill Gates bought it and rebranded it Microsoft Flight Simulator...it wasn't Microsoft's original idea, nor does the history begin when Microsoft put their brand on Artwick's work.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

16 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Will anyone here be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Microsoft Flight Simulator?  I understand it will be going off with a bang over at the other place.

Bruce

No!

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Javiz said:

I'm sorry but which one would that be ?...  

The one you didn't get invited to 🤣