Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary

Will anyone here be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Microsoft Flight Simulator?  I understand it will be going off with a bang over at the other place.

Bruce

• Like 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Will anyone here be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Microsoft Flight Simulator?  I understand it will be going off with a bang over at the other place.

Bruce

Yes, absolutely. It's going to be a big day.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

No, no celebrations planned. Didn't even know that anniversary was coming up.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I will follow "Twitchers", Youtubers and such... that's it for now.

I thought a lot these days if I buy MSFS but in the end I decided to bet on the "safe side"* and continue with P3D.

* Historical weather, the entire 737NGXu fleet, FSLabs... the huge scenery library I have...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

What is there to celebrate when Microsoft abandoned flight sim back in 2009?

Maybe users in this forum should be celebrating the anniversary of LM releasing P3D v1 in Autumn 2010.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

59 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Historical weather, the entire 737NGXu fleet, FSLabs... the huge scenery library I have...

And the magnificent FS Labs 64-bit Concorde due in a few months … hopefully. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

wow the frustrations have to be quite big with some of us 😄 They celebrate 40 years of the brand and nobody in this context cares about if they left the sim for a few years, abondened Flight or who else brought something out some years ago. Its a happy day for the ones using MSFS and I will at least enjoy what we have now and get today. Enjoy the sim you fly. I enjoy three of them even if the two older ones are quite hard to look at in the meantime...

Happy flying!

Cheers T.

oh just noticed the post is def in the wrong forum! Sorry...

Edited by Torsen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Torsen said:

wow the frustrations have to be quite big with some of us

There was a great deal of anger and sadness when Microsoft  sacked the Aces Team. We felt abandoned.

1 hour ago, Torsen said:

They celebrate 40 years of the brand and nobody in this context cares about if they left the sim for a few years,

It's not the same simulator as Asobo have been heavily involved. There was an 14 year gap between the release of FSX and MSFS being launched. That's more than a few years.

They've burnt their bridges as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Torsen said:

oh just noticed the post is def in the wrong forum! Sorry...

Don't worry, not a problem. :wink:

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Prepar3D is also an descendant of FS1, so we can also celebrate. At least, they confess still beeing part of this development.

I started flightsimming with Falcon 3 in 1991 I think and soon came into contact with FS4. Since then, I had all versions and after FSX I changed to P3D1.4 and went further with that.

So thats 31 years for me. I think it's cool to celebrate 40 years flightsim, no matter what you fly.

Dan

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

41 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There was a great deal of anger and sadness when Microsoft  sacked the Aces Team. We felt abandoned.

Actually I can remember the day. It put a big question mark on our hobby and was quite depressing back then. But as we have seen there is always light at the end of the tunnel. And today we are in a way better position as ever before.

Cheers T.

@Ray Proudfoot I have the upmost respect for you, but was that really necessary? 🙂

Besides, it's the brand and concept of "Microsoft Flight Simulator", which are being celebrated. Not a specific sim... at least that's the way I see it. 🙂 
I'm very much looking forward to this Anniversary Update. Lots of good stuff! 

Cheers everyone and happy flying. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, anden145 said:

@Ray Proudfoot I have the upmost respect for you, but was that really necessary? 🙂

Besides, it's the brand and concept of "Microsoft Flight Simulator", which are being celebrated. Not a specific sim... at least that's the way I see it. 🙂 
I'm very much looking forward to this Anniversary Update. Lots of good stuff! 

Cheers everyone and happy flying. 

Was what really necessary? Expressing how I feel? I don’t see any relation to the versions of FS that Aces produced and the current release.

It’s as different as chalk and cheese. So much so I can’t buy into it.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, Torsen said:

Actually I can remember the day. It put a big question mark on our hobby and was quite depressing back then. But as we have seen there is always light at the end of the tunnel. And today we are in a way better position as ever before.

Cheers T.

Indeed it was. The light at the end of the tunnel for me has been LM embracing ESP and making it so much better whilst retaining backward compatibility.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Such a depressive mood in this topic compared to the enthusiasm, good memories and excitement in the other one. I know which party/crowd I will be joining this weekend! 😀

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I'll be flying the 310 like crazy (if it does come out) in celebration! Never had one and can't stop talking about it ❤️

I just hope it is very high fidelity, it does look like it, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11