Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

A funny thing happened on the way to touchdown...

Several years ago my brother called me.  He was 81 years old and was still working part time as a programmer for the company he had previously worked full time for.  He told me he had to quit his job because of memory failures.  He couldn't remember simple procedures and functions he had been using automatically all his working life.

A few days ago I was on a long final in my Kodiak to KDVO, my home airport, when I needed to put in another notch of flap.  But I couldn't remember the keystroke on the keyboard to lower the flaps.  I did remember the button on the Saitek so I went to it.

But that has been happening to me from time to time now in many areas.  Not just simming but also trying to recall a star's name in a movie I am watching or what was that other thing Betty wanted when I am walking down the aisle of the supermarket.

My doctor tells me not to worry.  It's not Alzheimer's it's just a function of aging.

Several years ago when the Kodiak became my aircraft of choice I customized the panel for it and made a chart of the keyboard and the Saitek controls.  It's been in my file cabinet because after getting used to the keys I didn't need it anymore.  Well, I need it now and have it displayed on an easel on my desk next to the monitor.  So when I have a memory lapse I can quickly refer to it.

Many of my older friends say they have memory lapses too.  So I am not alone.  I thought I'd share the experience with the aging members of our little community here and for those not in the aging mode yet what you might expect in the future.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel, I may have mentioned it already, but I find myself thinking frequently about the hereafter, as in finding myself in the kitchen and wondering "now what was I here after?"

It's particularly disturbing when that occurs when I toddle into the bathroom and can't remember why I did... 🥴

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, Fr Bill, that's part of it.  Especially when I'm on my way into a room for something and on the way my wife asks me a question.  I answer her and then continue into the room and stand there wondering why I am there.  Usually it comes back to me, but not always.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Why am I here??  I can't remember!  BTW, does anyone know who that guy in my bathroom mirror is?  He keeps staring back at me! 🤔

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Indeed, CRS is a terrible disease but my neurologist tells me that it happens to most all "older people". Just this morning I opened the refrigerator door to get a cup of coffee. Next month I'll be celebrating the 41st anniversary of my 39th birthday. At least I think it's next month......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

My biggest frustration in tis area is not remembering words I used regularly. I always had an extensive vocabulary and sometimes, in conversation, I go to use a word and it's gone. I can describe what I want to say but the specific word is lost.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Not just simming but also trying to recall a star's name in a movie I am watching

Here's how I deal with that..to my wife watching tv or a movie

"There's that guy that was in that other movie; you know, that guy!"

Don't feel bad. I'm almost 20 years your junior and I'm doing this. :>)

It's comforting to know that I am not alone.

Noel

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I go to use a word and it's gone. I can describe what I want to say but the specific word is lost.

Ah, that happens to me as well. It is very frustrating! It's good that the staff at Krogers remembers what brand of cigarettes I burn up (I don't really smoke em!) because I sure can't recall the name when I go to the customer service counter.  🙄

Fr. Bill    

Age has it's penalties as we know. At one time I could remember names, dates, and specific numbers. However now I struggle sometimes to remember who recorded a song I love and played as a musician. Oh well at least I'm vertical most of the time.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

22 hours ago, newtie said:

Don't feel bad. I'm almost 20 years your junior and I'm doing this. :>)

Its quite common at all ages to be honest. When it occurs when we are older, even though a normal random occurrence, it can seem more significant. But yes, certainly a normal part of aging. Its always worth doing some challenging stuff, learn new things, play chess, anything you like that gives your brain a workout. Arguing with me about multiplanetary existence, life in outer space, whether Elon is a good guy or bad guy... all helps. 😏

I find doing crossword puzzles every day helps and I always look up the word I have forgotten. What puzzles me though - when I was in my early teens a teacher told us some sort of cognitive test consisting of eight nonsense three letter words and told us to memorize them. At the end of the class, he asked us to recite the words -  I still remember them -  JER ROL PIF MEZ JEB FEX JIX SOR. The mind is an amazing thing.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I find doing crossword puzzles every day helps

I gave up attempting crossword puzzles rather quickly; I found myself using too many cross words...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I find doing crossword puzzles every day helps and I always look up the word I have forgotten. thing.

Do you do 'em in ink?

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: