Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Longitude after Wednesday's AAU beta update

I'm extremely impressed with the progress on the latest AAU beta update today. The Longitude especially seems to be an entirely different and more true-to-life business jet. The Longitude avionics in the current AAU beta are completely different from those in SU11. I thoroughly enjoyed my first test flight this afternoon from Huntington, WV (KHTS), to Pittsburgh, PA (KPIT). As   @bendead mentioned elsewhere, you can now import your flight plan directly from the MSFS world map into the Longitude's FMC. And it works! Waypoint, speed, and altitude constraints work reliably as part of a fully functioning VNAV. The plane handles much differently too. For example, the Longitude, regardless of speed, would rarely lift off the runway in previous versions unless you pulled back on your yoke or controller. Now, however, the Longitude will become airborne once you reach the appropriate speed down the runway. The plane also seems more stable in flight -- less tossed about by low-speed winds and atmospheric turbulence. I still have a lot to learn about the new avionics. But in my view, the Longitude, following today's AAU beta update, is just as study-level as any PMDG product. The days of belittling MSFS's avionics or flight model have come to an end. If you're not part of the current AAU beta, you're in for a real treat shortly. Trust me! Also, if you purchased a version of MSFS that does not include the Longitude, you might consider upgrading to the Premium Deluxe edition, which contains the Longitude and other superb aircraft and airport enhancements to the sim. 

• Like 28
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

6 hours ago, David Mills said:

, you might consider upgrading to the Premium Deluxe edition

Would so, but that means nearly a complete rebuy of MSFS as there is no upgrade plan if I'm not mistaken?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, David Mills said:

But in my view, the Longitude, following today's AAU beta update, is just as study-level as any PMDG product.

That is quite a statement. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

@David Mills Briliant post, and I feel the same way. The purchase of the Premium Deluxe version has delivered an excellent return on investment.

The Longitude has transformed from being one of the worst default airplanes upon release to being one of the best, if not THE best. I think if "Dakfly" hadnt't released his Longitude flight dynamics mod, this plane would have sunk like a stone and would have been already forgotten.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

As far as i know AAU will update many aircraft. I just hope the CJ4 will also become a great default airplane. A CJ4 is probably as big as I would go. Currently flying only Caravan and Vision Jet as well as the 172.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guenseli said:

Would so, but that means nearly a complete rebuy of MSFS as there is no upgrade plan if I'm not mistaken?

I think there is an upgrade plan to the Deluxe and Premium editions. It was talked about in the past, so you can search for topics on this. From my memory though, if you bought the Standard version of MSFS, and you wanted to upgrade to Deluxe or Premium, it will end up costing you more than if you just outright purchased Deluxe or Premium from the very start.  But I think upgrading to Deluxe or Premium from the Standard edition is still cheaper than outright buying the Deluxe and Premium edition.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Certainly the (AAU) avionics update is a great step forward, but to say it is study level on a par with PMDG (or Fenix) is something of a stretch!  Its cockpit now demands greater knowledge and interaction, and it flies much better than in the past, but it still lacks some of the refinement in modelling and texturing of the better add-on aircraft (far too much mirroring and not even a tiny bit of wing flex, just to name two important things).

Having said all of that, it is still a fun aircraft to fly, along with the C208 and the TBM930 (with their respective improvement mods) and some of the other modded default aircraft.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

11 hours ago, David Mills said:

The plane also seems more stable in flight -- less tossed about by low-speed winds and atmospheric turbulence. 

A bit OT but several parameters were added to the flight model configs in SU9/SU10 that allow tuning of this behavior. I discovered them while working on a flight modeling project. 

Some developers such as SWS are using them too. They make a world of difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ozzieblr said:

but to say it is study level on a par with PMDG (or Fenix) is something of a stretch!  Its cockpit now demands greater knowledge and interaction,

agree. it would also require performance data and a POH. nevertheless, a great upgrade!

Cessna Citation Model 700 Longitude Operator's Guide:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cessna-citation-model-700-longitude-operators-guide/562558

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Yes the fact that I felt a bit lost in a default plane was an oddly good feeling 😀

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

8 hours ago, guenseli said:

you can get an upgrade in the Marketplace

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, for 85€ ... in my opinion a joke when I have already bought the Deluxe version for nearly the same money

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

42 minutes ago, guenseli said:

Yes, for 85€ ... in my opinion a joke when I have already bought the Deluxe version for nearly the same money

That sounds ridiculous. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

30 minutes ago, RobJC said:

That sounds ridiculous. 

Yes, I never understood the logic behind this pricing model. I would have anticipated they would have made an appealing upgrade path for people who initially bought the standard version to upgrade to the deluxe and then premium deluxe versions. The cost to upgrade is really very steep and I would not do it. The longitude may be a great default plane now but I would not pay in the neighborhood of $100 dollars to get it; and that would be the only add on I would be interested in beyond the base pack I have. If they did have a reasonable pricing option, something that took me to about the cost of initially buying the upgraded versions I may have done it, but not at those prices.

• Like 2

Dan Scott

17 hours ago, David Mills said:

For example, the Longitude, regardless of speed, would rarely lift off the runway in previous versions unless you pulled back on your yoke or controller. Now, however, the Longitude will become airborne once you reach the appropriate speed down the runway.

I have no dog in this fight (not that it's a fight), and don't have MSFS yet, but this is completely unrealistic as-described. (Unless I'm mis-understanding)

Can't think of a jet that would behave like this IRL. It's not a C172.

At Vr, back pressure should always be required to raise the nose of a jet.

Cheers,
DB

Edited by DaviiB
  • Like 2