Jump to content
n4gix

Eating chicken without killing chicken

Recommended Posts

This showed up in my daily news stream. I wonder when or if they will do the same with beef, lamb and/or pig?

Eating chicken without killing chicken? - BBC News

Quote

A US company, Upside Foods, has regulatory approval for lab-grown meat and is aiming to sell 'cultivated chicken' to restaurants this year and plans to have it in grocery stores by 2028.

 


Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556


     Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Share this post


Link to post

"A spokesperson for UPSIDE Foods, a San Francisco-based leader in the cultivated meat arena, says that the nutrient profile will be similar, but it will also be possible to enhance or even personalise it."

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/what-is-lab-grown-meat-a-scientist-explains-the-taste-production-and-safety-of-artificial-foods/ 

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker or, possibly, Dave.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm beginning to get it.  Cheap bio grown meat for people put out of their jobs by robots transported to the fake butcher shops in electric busses.

Isn't there an old movie about this called Soylent Green?

Noel

  • Like 5

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Share this post


Link to post

The article says that initially 20% of the growth medium had to be foetal bovine serum but they have now developed an alternative by genetically modifying yeast. I wonder what the other 80% is and what is involved in its production. Anyway, I think I'll stay vegetarian although I wouldn't mind tasting lab grown meat just once..


Dugald Walker or, possibly, Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, sightseer said:

I think we've all already been eating lab grown stuff for quite some time and just didnt know it.

I very very vaguely remember a political struggle years ago over whether food with bioengineered components had to mention the fact on the label. I don't know what the situation is now, but at the time, companies were lobbying heavily (and successfully) to kill any such requirement, and to have their wares hidden (my words) in the regular food supply so that those squeamish about the idea would essentially have no choice.

One wonders how this will all turn out.

  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The article says that initially 20% of the growth medium had to be foetal bovine serum but they have now developed an alternative by genetically modifying yeast. I wonder what the other 80% is and what is involved in its production. Anyway, I think I'll stay vegetarian although I wouldn't mind tasting lab grown meat just once..

 

 I read that what they do is pretty appalling,  regarding the fetal serum. So good news if they have eliminated such cruelty. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, n4gix said:

I wonder when or if they will do the same with beef, lamb and/or pig?

Sounds like it's not too far removed from grinding up dead sheep and turning them into food pellets for cattle. The resultant Mad Cow Disease has probably slid away from peoples memories, but the food industry will continue going to any lengths to increase profit. They have deep pockets and legislators can always be persuaded not to ask too many questions.

Many food labels are deliberately misleading about content and source of the product, yet the authorities choose not to take action. Almost everything we eat has been processed in some form and it's become very difficult to know what we are eating. The public want low priced food, but we should probably be more concerned than we are at present about what it involves.


John B

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Biggles2010 said:

Many food labels are deliberately misleading about content and source of the product, yet the authorities choose not to take action.

 

I've said for many years that the food industry should be much more heavily regulated. They pack food full of fillers, like fat and sugar, because its cheaper, and health pays the price. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Of course, at the same time we have the growth of the plant-based meat industry.

I'm dubious, as I had traumatizing taste tests years ago.

I've heard its better now, but haven't felt curious enough yet to spend money trying it again.


We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post

While I love cutting the tasty flesh away from a T-Bone steak I also like SPAM.  I like it diced and put into salads or sliced and fried like bacon or sausage patties.

Noel


The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Share this post


Link to post

I find all this lab grown meat stuff a little disturbing and dystopian. I'm sure there's many questionable ingredients and methods involved in its production. Its only a matter of time before genuine meat products start to demand a huge premium.  


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't see the issue. You just walk up to the replicator and say to it... "bacon and egg sandwich please, with brown sauce on the bacon side, and make sure the egg is runny".

Then the replicator arranges the atoms for you so they are in the right place, and your tasty sandwich appear, all ready to enjoy. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Then the replicator arranges the atoms for you so they are in the right place, and your tasty sandwich appear, all ready to enjoy. 

Don't forget the Earl Grey tea - hot.

  • Like 1

Dugald Walker or, possibly, Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dmwalker said:

Don't forget the Earl Grey tea - hot.

Lapsang Souchong tea - hot.

Noel


The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...