Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Eating chicken without killing chicken

23 hours ago, birdguy said:

I've been poaching salmon in the dishwasher for years.  Nothing new for us oldtimers.

I havent had a dishwasher for the past 30 years and am not all that fond of salmon anyway. But I never knew that it was possible to poach salmon in a dishwasher!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 minute ago, n4gix said:

I havent had a dishwasher for the past 30 years and am not all that fond of salmon anyway. But I never knew that it was possible to poach salmon in a dishwasher!

Hey, I just this week found that you can make hard boiled eggs in an air fryer by cooking them at 275° for 17 minutes. Tried it and it worked perfectly.

I think this sort of stuff is called a life hack.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 1/27/2023 at 9:48 AM, HiFlyer said:

it became a family tradition to always have one can of Spam in the cupboard

I have a can of Spam and "real Hormel Bacon" in my canned goods cupboard. One of these days I'll have to fry up a few slices with eggs to see if the bacon helps! 

I just recently noticed that there are at least six different kinds of Spam in my local Walmart Marketplace...😉

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

I knew the word poaching would be taken that way by someone.

Sorry Noel, I just couldn’t resist; it was low hanging fruit😁

On 1/25/2023 at 5:35 AM, birdguy said:

I'm beginning to get it.  Cheap bio grown meat for people put out of their jobs by robots transported to the fake butcher shops in electric busses.

Isn't there an old movie about this called Soylent Green?

Noel

Don't know about a film but Isaw the original TV series and it was the scariest thing I have ever seen. So I hope not.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Salmon is rich in fish oils that are extremely healthy and prevent against all types of diseases. We have salmon 3 times a week or more, for many years now. No sugar. No alcohol. The only time eating junk food is when eating out. It's diabetes that is causing at least half the heart attacks and cancer. Mild diabetes that  does not require treatment or shots but is contributing to the major diseases that people die of. Called pre diabetes. Over half of all adult Americans have it. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Fielder said:

Salmon is rich in fish oils that are extremely healthy and prevent against all types of diseases. We have salmon 3 times a week or more, for many years now. 

Aren't you lucky! I would love to have salmon but in South Africa, real salmon is an extreme luxury. Norwegian salmon is approx. $39kg which is twice the price of rib-eye steak.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Salmon is a cold water fish.  I think South Africa is too warm for it to thrive. Still it's a great culture there,  I love their music.

So, we buy canned Salmon. From Alaska. $8 for a 15.5 ounce (1 pound) can red salmon. Because to protect their fishing industry, the State of Alaska prohibits selling farm grown fish. If it comes from Alaska, it's wild caught. And thus without high dose mercury or growth hormones. The ocean is large and dilutes the bad stuff away from the fishes' diet.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:35 PM, birdguy said:

Isn't there an old movie about this called Soylent Green?

Fun fact:  Soylent Green was set in 2022. 😄 

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hey dmwalker!

Love this thread, but isn't yeast engineered beef really vegetarian? 

Like bacteria raised "human" insulin is not considered really human.

"Food" for thought?

Dan

2 hours ago, DanFrench said:

Love this thread, but isn't yeast engineered beef really vegetarian?

The genetically modified yeast is part of the growing medium but the process still needs to start with a few beef cells obtained by biopsy.

Replacing the foetal bovine serum with the yeast in the growing medium was a major step towards making cultured beef acceptable from a religious point of view but there is still some discussion about its status with respect to the starter beef cells. 

I would think that the overriding consideration would be that no animals now have to be killed in the production of cultured beef.

Dugald Walker

3 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I would think that the overriding consideration would be that no animals now have to be killed in the production of cultured beef.

So what do we do with cattle herds that will keep growing?  What will be the impact of the ranges when every year the population of beef cattle doubles?

Beef is raised as a food crop.  Just as chickens and sheep and swine.

Last evening the part of the family that was here to help me out with Betty's funeral went to the Cattle Baron for dinner.  As I recall my son-in-law had a filet mignon.  My grandson had a ribeye.  I had a prime rib.  I can't imagine a patty of cultured beef would have the same taste.  And would frying a cultured steak produce the juices that made delicious gravy I pour over mashed potatoes?

Humans have canine teeth to tear flesh, even cooked flesh, apart.  They bite deeper than the incisors.

I can order a cultured prime rib or a New York strip steak or a ribeye as thick as I want and have it almost charred on the outside and cool and red on the inside?  Will I be able to get cultured beef in different thicknesses?  And will it cook like fresh meat?

Will we be able to grill a cultured steak on an outdoor grill and have the aroma of cooking beef float through air to make our mouths water for it?

We and other carnivores have been killing animals for food since the beginning of life.  It's what we do.  I've shot deer and rabbits and prairie hens and ducks and pheasant for food and slaughtered chickens for the table.  I've fished for trout and bass for the table.  

There's no sin in killing range animals, fish and fowl you are going to eat.

Some cultures eat cockroaches.  Let me know when cultured cockroach make the scene. 

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Tastes like chicken!

Vintage Advertising Tin, Fried Grasshoppers, Bonavita ,Liberty Cottonseed  Oil | eBay

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

39 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Tastes like chicken!

There must be something out there which tastes like grasshopper.

Maybe we have it all backwards and, actually, it's chicken which tastes like grasshopper.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Will I be able to get cultured beef in different thicknesses?

You won't have to. I expect the demand for cultured beef will be limited just like the demand for vegetarian meals today. Most people will still prefer "real meat". Maybe 10% will want cultured beef, 10%, like me, will prefer to stay with traditional vegetarianism and 79%, like you, will stick with traditional beef, while 1% will prefer grasshoppers which taste like chicken.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

So what do we do with cattle herds that will keep growing?

I think farmers will control their herd sizes just as they probably do today.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker