Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The hardest thing I ever did...

My wife is in the hospital right now.  They were supposed to remove a stomach blockage.  But they can't remove it.  It's too large.  So Monday or Tuesday they are bringing her back home.  She will not be allowed to eat solid food.  Just water and juice and other liquids.  I think she'll be able to eat Jello.

I talked to her on the phone yesterday evening.  I told her she was coming home and there would be a hospice nurse to take care of her.  Then she asked if she could get up.  I told her yes, she could walk around the house, feed her cats, sit with me in the living room and watch television.

Then she asked me if she could go shopping.  I told her I would take her shopping.  She asked if she could drive and I had to tell her no.

Then she asked me if she was dying.  The hardest thing I ever had to do was tell her 'yes'.  I almost choked up.  She just said, "Well, that's not good."  Then she said she had to rest and hung up.

Grown men aren't supposed to cry, but I did some sobbing after she hung up.

We've been together for over 60 years.  Thats two thirds of my life.  More for her.  It's going to be a tough go for a month or so until she finally passes.  But she's a strong woman.  She had to be to put up with me for all those years.

I'm not going to be around for a while.  You can understand why.

Noel  

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel,

Both you and your wife are in my prayers.  I sincerely wish a miracle will be part of your future. They have been known to happen.

Stan

• Like 6

Oh my god Noel... I am so sorry. 

Grown men ARE allowed to cry as much as they require, and I'll shed a tear with you. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Oh my god Noel... I am so sorry. 

Grown men ARE allowed to cry as much as they require, and I'll shed a tear with you. 

Me too. Noel, let me know if there's anything I can do.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I am so sorry to learn about your wife, Noel. My wife and I are together for 35 years and I sometimes think about what would be if she was not part of my life anymore. I simply cannot imagine, but I know it would be devastating. I hope your wife and you can make the best out of the time you have left together.

Best Wishes,

Peter

• Like 4

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Grown men aren't supposed to cry, but I did some sobbing after she hung up.

My dear friend, that is a tremendous load of buffalo cookies. I'll freely admit that I've been crying about this devastating news since yesterday morning when I read your PM to me. You have a lot more friends here than you can imagine Noel, and I have no doubt that many of them will shed some tears for you and your dear wife.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So sorry to hear my Flightsim friend! Think about all the good times in the past years. Memories and time will pull you through!

All the best!

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

I'm so sorry to read this. You and your wife will be in my thoughts.

Best wishes,

Joel

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I'm sorry to hear this.  You and your wife are in my prayers. Praying for a miracle.

Kindest regards,

Glenn

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

******* is right there with you Noel.

Will be praying for you and your family.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

So sorry to read this. Mere words from a stranger, but rest assured they come from heart. 

Hans

Thank you for living such a good life for yourself and your wife and you kikds. Everybody here on Avsim will have meditations and prayers for you and yours. 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My sympathies mate I dont know you but,if you need somone to talk to feel free to PM me,even if it's just to vent emotions. This community is here for you in your time of need.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So sorry to hear this Noel, you and your wife are in my prayers.

"Grown men aren't supposed to cry.."

That's the old fairy tale again. It's holding us man back from relieving our deepest pain and sorrow. Relieve that we need in order to fuel the engine again, to vent the heavy heart, that's just how humans work.

Neanderthal males, so i was told by my former professor, weren't conditioned like that yet and just cried whenever there was pain, wild strong man, mind you. This necessity in life has been somehow banned and taken away from us man.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.