Fenix A320 or PMDG 737

Fenix A 320 versus PMDG 737 Preference.   

303 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like to fly the most

• Fenix Airbus A 320
    • PMDG 737
    • Like flying Both A 320 and PMDG equally

25 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

Take a break from your flight simulator for several days and go out into nature. This usually helps me to keep my Flightsim voltage up.

And it cant be a better time than now, when live weather is broken for almost a week 😄

• Like 1

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

I cant blame you for getting bored after 4000+ hours

say  2 hours  a  day  that's  about 6years  flying  every  day, guess  you would  get bored  🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Both are actually exceptional aircraft.  Fenix has the edge as a more finished product because of the EFB etc., but both equally enjoyable to fly.  I took a long break from the 737 - hardly flown it since the -700 release in favour of Fenix.  But have flown the -800 almost exclusively for the past two months and it is truly a really great aircraft.

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, mikethe6th said:

I really like both but the 737 has the edge for me. A big portion of this are the frame rates.

The frame rates are good because the textures are so low rez.

I regret my purchase.

Each time I walk through the cabin, I'm transported back to P3D. But at least you can teleport through the low rez cockpit door to the low rez cabin.

Beam me up, Scotty!

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Eh?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I regret my purchase.

Each time I walk through the cabin, I'm transported back to P3D. But at least you can teleport through the low rez cockpit door to the low rez cabin.

Beam me up, Scotty!

What a ridiculous post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I regret my purchase.

Beam me up, Scotty!

If I go looking for low res textures, I find them in some places - but they aren't anywhere to be found where I look during my normal usage. Cockpit looking great on a 4K monitor, even the "low rez cockpit door", at least from the Captain's seat. I gladly take some spots with lower resolution that I never see, if I get better framerates in return. 

I remember the Fenix A320 had a high-res texture option at release, not sure where it's gone now. This would of course be the best solution for everyone. And the cabin definitely has some low-res textures, but I never go there so I don't see them.

To be clear, I do care about good textures, for instance from what I can see in videos and screenshots, the Maddog has many ugly low-res spots in the cockpit, and I wouldn't enjoy flying it for this very reason. The PMDG 737 never gave me this feeling.

I understand that you want to enter the cockpit by walking up the stairs and entering through the cabin. Nothing wrong with some role-playing in flightsim, but for me personally it doesn't even make it onto my wishlist. As for the EFB, I'm looking forward to its release, it'll definitely make a couple of tasks easier (if it meets our expectations), but I already enjoy my flights with the 737, so it's not a big deal for me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Lol, load up the (free) A310 - and then compare that to the 737. Case closed.

That some folks don't care about this has absolutely no bearing on the simple fact I stated above.

We each have our own preferences, mine are to have the best of both worlds (systems depth/modeled close to the real world counterpart AND high resolution visuals)

21 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

We each have our own preferences, mine are to have the best of both worlds (systems depth/modeled close to the real world counterpart AND high resolution visuals)

I too care about both, and I don't see where the 737 lacks in terms of cockpit textures. 

Edited by pstrub
  • Upvote 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

55 minutes ago, pstrub said:

I remember the Fenix A320 had a high-res texture option at release, not sure where it's gone now. This would of course be the best solution for everyone. And the cabin definitely has some low-res textures, but I never go there so I don't see them.

We removed it as we incorporated the same level of memory saving into the core texture set, so the current VC set is for-all-intents-and-purposes the "low" version from a memory perspective, just with better optimisation so the resolution doesn't suffer.

• Like 3

Aamir Thacker

11 minutes ago, Aamir said:

We removed it as we incorporated the same level of memory saving into the core texture set, so the current VC set is for-all-intents-and-purposes the "low" version from a memory perspective, just with better optimisation so the resolution doesn't suffer.

Thanks Aamir for your explanation! That's even better of course!

Just to clarify: my remark on the cabin's low res textures was aimed at the PMDG 737 - I love both the PMDG and the Fenix A320 😉 

It would never occur to me to call anything on the Fenix A320 low res. The 737 is low res in some spots, but as I'd have to go and look specifically for them, I couldn't care less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Lol, load up the (free) A310 - and then compare that to the 737. Case closed.

First time I loaded up the A310 my first thought was "that doesn't look so nice" (compared to what else I fly, which is the 737 and the Fenix A320) looking at the panel in front of me, then I turned around and thought "wow, that cockpit door looks hideous". More like case still open.

They're all very good aircraft and all have their weak spot somewhere and the cabin could be better in the 737 (it will get better, btw), but you're constantly making it sound like the 737 is a low effort FS9-to-FSX-port from 15 years ago. Your comments on this are bordering on misinformation in the way they are exaggerated.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

TBH, i didn't even knew you can go the cabin from the cockpit in the 737 😆

never visited any cabin in any plane. In Fenix, 1st thing i did is to disable it. 

• Like 1

Roi Ben

No offense to PMDG, but when I think about it I just don’t understand how you can compare both and not end up to the conclusion that the Fenix is a way better addon.

As said the texturing of the 737 is not up to Fenix or inibuild standard, same goes for the modeling. On the system side Fenix has a more complete integration, (circuit breaker, satellite position simulation, acars, better LNAV and VNAV) and this mighty EFB. 
On the FM side, both flies very well, equally as good I would say.

To some up, the A320 a way more complete package for less money, so I suspect part of the answer to the poll are personal preference for one or the other type of aircraft. 
That’s fine, in the end both aircraft are fundamentally different to fly and operate. It’s great to have the choice and have two great rendition of these aircraft, people should buy both if they can I think.  

• Upvote 1