Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Head Tracking Poll

Head Tracking Poll  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Which head tracking device do you use?

• Track IR
    • Tobii Eye Tracker
    • Another type
    • None

Interested to see who uses what for head tracking, in-game

I had TrackIR for over a decade and made the switch to Tobii a few months ago. Long story short, if Tobii was as accurate as TrackIR it would be a no-brainer for me personally. I enjoy not having to wear a hat or have anything clipped to my headphone with wires as well as being able to use it in a bright room with windows open and not have sun/reflections interfere with the tracking.

Tracking is... fair. TrackIR seemed more snappy and precise. Tobbi is more smooth and fluid. For me mostly flying tubeliners and a bit of GA it works. My main issue is in certain head positions while keeping my head stable the camera is twitchy. For example, I will lean in and look down and two the right and hold my head still to look at something and the camera will shake a little bit making it hard to click accurately. This is really only at extreme angles but it is annoying. 

My biggest gripe - when contacting customer support they were super helpful and responsive (even during the holiday period) but at the end of the day their guidance was to use FaceTrackNoIR, a third party payware software, instead of their own software. I sent them a video of the issue and they acknowledged what I was experiencing and said their R&D team is aware and is working on a major software update that should resolve this but it will take time. But I was a little miffed by the fact that I spent $250 on this product only for them to suggest I pay more for a third party software to make it work better.

If they actually push out and update that resolves the issue and improves accuracy I'll be a happy camper. In the meantime I've just changed my habits to accommodate its shortcomings. 

• Like 2

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

My TIR broke after 10+ years and decided to give Tobii a go as I was excited about not having to deal with the wires or wear clips and I'm a very happy camper. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I believe most simmers use TrackIR.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

My first Track IR lasted 13 years. I bought a replacement Track IR, and the newer one is much better. I love the way Track IR works, wouldn't swap it for anything. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have, and use, both (but not concurrently). In X-Plane 12, I mainly use Tobii since the integration for XP allows me to pause the head tracking when I'm looking at some specific panel. Unfortunately, in MSFS, when you pause the head tracking, your view returns to the forward view which is annoying. So I tend to use my TrackIR in MSFS instead.

39 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

But I was a little miffed by the fact that I spent $250 on this product only for them to suggest I pay more for a third party software to make it work better.

Good to know this. My TIR5 is still working after 11 years but I was beginning to look at alternatives such as Tobii. It's already too expensive, IMO, for what's involved. Even in this niche market.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

My understanding after looking into both, is that Eye Tracker is gold if you sit at a table or desk with a somewhat normal desktop monitor. As soon as your cockpit departs from this norm, such as mine where I sit about 5' from a 77" display, the eye tracker isn't going to work as well. In my case the IR tracker works very well (I use the active thing attached to my headset)... and it's really the only option available to me given my setup.  The IR setup is generally more flexible and forgiving than the eye system, but if you can use the eye system, from what I've heard, it's superior.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

26 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Would add that I use an Tobii Head tracker (only) for months now, after using a TrackIR for more than a decade 😉 

Yes, it takes some time to set it up to how you like it on sensitivity, but I love it now. 

I use it on 100% head tracking as I couldn't get on with even just 5% eye tracking - I was finding it difficult to click on buttons / switches in the cockpit.

An excellent product, and it has transformed the sim for me, just to look out left and down at the ground seems so natural and easy.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

My tracker is a trackball.  A MSFS must have.  One nonmoving device that does it all.

You can't turn your head as fast as I can spin a ball.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

I'm very curious if anyone had tried the TrackHat Sensor V2 which is an alternative IR face tracker to the Tobii.

Not having anything attached to my head puts Tobii to the top of my list.  I'm not into VR for the same reason.  To each their own.  

I'm going to try out Tobii pretty soon.  

I have TrackIR4 but I have never really warmed to it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Used TIR for over 13 years, then got a HP Reverb G2 in 2021...no looking back to sim flying in 2D.  Should sell my TIR 5 and pro clip, both which I had for about 3 years, since they're now gathering dust.  My TIR 4 essentially died, would no longer detect IR.  Dang TIR rocked, but IMO is thoroughly decimated by VR in a G2.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)