Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

MSFS: A Victim of Its Own Huge Success

27 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Edit: Right now, MSFS hangs at syncing data, which is usually caused by server/cloud issues.

Just fired up MSFS to check - no issues

9 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

No issues.

I concur.

There is no doubt that a lot of users suffer with data streaming issues, but please consider that all the data has to make its way from the MS/Azure servers to your router. Given that we have at times seen geographically defined problems (Germany/Netherlands, maybe Central Europe) the problem might be national/local infrastructure.

Another thing to consider is whether your ISP might be throttling data from the MS/Azure servers related to MSFS? We are talking huge amounts of data, I just checked in the MSFS Options/Data section and since I built this machine in November I have downloaded 1.16 Tb - yes Terabytes, and that's just me ...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

8 hours ago, A330B747 said:

Are you serious? What's the best part of a Flight "SIMULATION"? it's the TOUCHDOWN&LANDING. and what miss? SUSPENSION PHYSICS and GROUND PHYSICS. Then will be perfect.

Indeed, I forgot that point somehow.

8 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

as is the way MS/Asobo constantly engages with the community and just overall behaves entirely unlike the legacy "old guard" ways of flight sim devs..

I agree with you. I like the way Microsoft & Asobo are communicating with the community and acting on our requests.  While it's not perfect, overall, they are listening to the community and they are also responding to our requests with the changes you see in the subsequent Sim Updates.

They are pretty responsive to the community and it shows in the improvements to MSFS over the last several years.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

10 hours ago, Silicus said:

Well, there is a real leadership problem within msfs/asobo, key issues have not been addressed more than 2 1/2 years after release. If it only would be growing pains, they should have been resolved by now.

There is no "leadership problem" at Asobo and/or Microsoft. To the contrary, Asobo has delivered the best flight simulator in the history of flight simming.

This is due to (at least) three simple facts:

1. Out of the box MSFS 2020 delivers a complete experience. No expensive addons needed. Since the inclusion of the inibuilds A310 and WT' AAU1, it also delivers a "study level" experience right out of the box.
2. MSFS 2020 looks good on lower settings and runs well even on low-end PCs.
3. There is a vast (and continuously) growing ecosystem of freeware mods and utilities.

Obviously, not everyone's pet peeve is going to be addressed right away.

Whether Asobo and Microsoft can sustain this successful run is another question.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, H_Slughorn said:

FBW = Farmers Bank of Willards??  As a new user, I am having trouble keeping up will all the abbreviations.

:) ... https://flybywiresim.com/

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

14 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I predict a subscription model is just around the corner.

If that would mean quality, stable service, ala Netflix, I would pay a monthly fee.

Unfortunately that would not be an option for me. I fly too little to justify the fee.

• Like 2

The subscription model prediction has been going around since before the sim released. MS has shown no indication that they're even considering this and if we consider their other flagship product, has shown indications of the opposite. I bought Windows 7 when it was released. I haven't had to "subscribe" to Windows since, and they upgraded me to 10 for free and would do the same for 11 if I let them, which I might once they get the kinks ironed out. They're not only not charging me a monthly subscription, they're not charging me for major product upgrades to the software I bought 14 years ago.

I find predictions of impending subscription models to be equally based in reality as chemtrail theories.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, eslader said:

find predictions of impending subscription models to be equally based in reality as chemtrail theories.

I'd happily pay for a subscription if that's what it takes to continue developing and streaming MSFS.   Your Windows analogy is crazy flawed because of scale--there are ~1.4B copies of Windows in use currently and more billions of copies sold since inception of Windows.   MSFS?...not so much.  I think the take home message is not will they need to rely on a subscription basis or is one coming,  but rather that many users will be willing to pay for it.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

15 hours ago, Stoopy said:

To me, MSFS is more like Robin Trower than Taylor Swift.  Totally righteous and twice removed from yesterday, man.

So Taylor Swift, then.

• Like 1

Funny how while they need to ask for understanding that the game is popular and servers are too busy, but their credit card servers work just fine.

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

8 minutes ago, BufordTX said:

Funny how while they need to ask for understanding that the game is popular and servers are too busy, but their credit card servers work just fine.

Payment gateways and MSFS servers aren't exactly handling the same type of data traffic and workload...

• Like 2

I've seen many complaints that Marketplace purchases didn't go through. As a merchant, that's the last thing in the world you want. 

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I've only bought 2 things on the marketplace, FSDT's CYVR when it came out, and the An-225. Had zero issues. Steam user. 

23 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I predict a subscription model is just around the corner.

They already have one, it's called 'Game Pass'.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 6

MS doesn't need us to pay a subscription to get the kinks ironed out. What they really need is time. Azure is owned by MS so they're saving a ton of money there. I've seen way less successful games keep the servers running for years and years. Money is not the issue here and the guys at the top have said nothing to indicate that that's the case while they continue to give us a ton of free content. Kinks just have to be ironed out. We have to also keep in mind that the way MSFS uses servers is not typical of most games so they're probably constantly playing catch-up as changes are introduced.

If you're willing to pay a sub, that's good for you but it won't make any difference. 

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I'd happily pay for a subscription if that's what it takes to continue developing and streaming MSFS.   Your Windows analogy is crazy flawed because of scale--there are ~1.4B copies of Windows in use currently and more billions of copies sold since inception of Windows.   MSFS?...not so much.  I think the take home message is not will they need to rely on a subscription basis or is one coming,  but rather that many users will be willing to pay for it.   

So you don't figure providing regular downloads in the form of software updates, antivirus definition updates, etc, puts a strain on servers and costs Microsoft money? If they're not going subscription-based with a product that has 700 times the number of users as MSFS, why would they do it here?

I think the takehome message is that it is wholly irrelevant if you or any of us are willing to pay for a subscription if there are no plans to institute subscriptions in the first place.

After all, when FSX stopped being updated, just about everyone here was willing to pay for the next version but that simply didn't matter because that next version did not exist. 

Nattering on about things that aren't happening and show no indication of happening seems... Strange.

• Like 2