Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Paid version of Google Map Mod.

14 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Done plenty of flying in the Caribbean.  Not seen it.   Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've not had it happen.

Just remembered as well, the potential Hosts file problem is no longer an issue either.  The app now clears it when you shut it down whether you remember to press Stop or not.

I have been flying over oceans for the last four or five days, and I don't see anything like what is being described, Oh well, I must be doing something wrong. 🤪

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, The Moose said:

I've done well over 1000 hrs of flying with this mod.

Never seen the water problem you mention. is that at high altitudes?  I'm a Heli pilot 95% of the time and low alt GA the rest of the time..as I say...never seen it.

Never caused a CTD.  Never caused any issues at all for that matter.  

What it has done is completely enhance my MSFS flying experience, removing the horrible green roads and displaying higher resolution textures.  In places where the default textures weren't very good I now have several alternative map sources, one of which will almost certainly be an improvement in the problem areas.

The recently introduced feature that allows you to tweak colours/brightness and contrast of the map colours on the fly is another great feature.

Is it perfect? No, of course not, but the default isn't either and this gives so many options to improve over the default that it's a no-brainer for me. And that the free version.

I'd say, give it a go (not you obviously 😉 )  There is absolutely nothing to lose.  And if someone is forgetful enough to forget to stop the program before uninstalling it causing the infinite update screen issue you mention then it takes all of 10 seconds to delete the content of the hosts file... hardly a big issue is it?

Never seen such a negative post about one of the best mods for the sim.  Peak Avsim.

+1

For the "old timers" here you may (like myself) get a few chuckles regarding the talk here of "bad voodoo stuff gonna happen". <<<<< FLASHBACK >>> Lockheed Martin buys rights to FSX and releases Prepar3D flight simulator;  HOWEVER each purchaser must CLAIM he is a "student in aviation" and NEVER use P3D for entertainment purposes. This would be a EULA violation and BAD things were gonna happen.

I have used the Google Map mod since early release.  Because I had donated to the author I was sent a permanent "PRO" license when he released it.  My experience has been the same as "The Moose" noted above.

• Like 4

WAT1460.png

6 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

+1

For the "old timers" here you may (like myself) get a few chuckles regarding the talk here of "bad voodoo stuff gonna happen". <<<<< FLASHBACK >>> Lockheed Martin buys rights to FSX and releases Prepar3D flight simulator;  HOWEVER each purchaser must CLAIM he is a "student in aviation" and NEVER use P3D for entertainment purposes. This would be a EULA violation and BAD things were gonna happen.

I have used the Google Map mod since early release.  Because I had donated to the author I was sent a permanent "PRO" license when he released it.  My experience has been the same as "The Moose" noted above.

OK I will ask you then, because up till now, my original question hasn't been answered. Is the Pro version worth it, does it look that much better?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

OK I will ask you then, because up till now, my original question hasn't been answered. Is the Pro version worth it, does it look that much better?

Very good question ... I really can't tell you to purchase it for some great improvement. This quote from developer is all I've seen >>> "Some advanced features (e.g. custom map provider and future features) need a pro license."

If you are happy with appearance and other features with free version, just stay with that.  The advanced features I see are rarely used.  My favorite option is to easily "Clear Cache" after my flight 👍.  I only use the Google Maps Server (PRO) but I have not compared it with other Map Servers as I am very pleased with this one.

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

Doesn’t this mod modify some system files or something? I swear I read that somewhere…honestly the stock streaming is good enough for me. I don’t need to see gum stuck on the pavement, and gopher holes in the ground. To each their own.  

• Upvote 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

3 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Doesn’t this mod modify some system files or something? I swear I read that somewhere

It edits the hosts file to block the bing imagery from connecting to the sim or something like that.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It edits the hosts file to block the bing imagery from connecting to the sim or something like that.

Indeed, and just to clarify, it  temporarily adds two entries to the hosts file, just while the app is running.  It is absolutely nothing that is going to cause any issues to your system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Moose said:

Indeed, and just to clarify, it  temporarily adds two entries to the hosts file, just while the app is running.  It is absolutely nothing that is going to cause any issues to your system.

Unless you manage to leave those two entries in the file and try to start MSFS in default mode.. 😉

"Stuck on the Updates screen"..  sound familiar?

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Is the Pro paid version any better than normal Google? I suppose it only costs USD$5 to find out.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I saw a YT video, or Reddit post or something not long ago comparing the pro with vanilla and forgot to bookmark it. I think the take away was no, it's not really worth paying for the pro but unfortunately I don't remember what the reason was.

I'm certainly not aware of anything that might make it worth paying for.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

How does it handle photogrammatry and 3D cities etc? Is that different from Bing? Better or worse? Is there more of it or?

Another thing about the HOST file? Does it edit the HOST file or replace it (remove any existing entries in it) ? 

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

How do airfields/airports blend in with this mod ?

If Google tiles have a different coloring than airfields/airports may stand out as they are optimized for use with Bing ….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I started using this mod because I hoped it would solve the “bandwith too low”-error. And it did in a very stable way.  Because I use it  so often, I decided to upgrade to the paid version. I think you see a little more tiling than with Bing-maps, but haven’t done a real comparison.

• Like 1

I so want to use this mod but also comes with Google's little oddities. Like, the imagery around Copenhagen is newer / higher quality but also this super vivid green, while all the surrounding is the normal ortho, so you have this green box around all of Copenhagen. It's a shame.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Ive been using this mod since it was launched and Derek has done a great job updating it regularly.  I don't use it all of the time, just like to see the different textures from time to time if i get bored with bing.  I have noticed a few more bandwidth error issues when using it though lately 

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)