Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

4 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Nothing from the trailer indicates it's actually a whole new product.  I saw nothing new from the core engine in that trailer.  The core looks exactly the same to me.

Nothing indicates that any of the 'new' features couldn't be added to the existing sim.  In fact most of them were already planned for the current version and according to the FAQ will be added to the existing sim.

I really hope that MS will make it 'upgrade'able' from the current sim.  I know there's still a lot of time left for the details to come out, but I just don't see it.  

It's definitely NOT a whole new product. Just like X-Plane, Prepar3D, Windows or Mac OS.

They're putting enough new stuff in it to call it new, and so they can charge us for it.

After experiencing multiple "new" versions across various sims, I'm okay with paying for 2024.

I, too, REALLY would like an in-place upgrade.

And I REALLY want to know if I need two different MSFS installs...i.e., what's different about them if they're going to keep dev'ing v2020...?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

Betrayal? Support is still guaranteed for FS20 for the coming years. Your content on FS20 will work on FS24 if you feel compelled to buy it. 

In all fairness, there's a bit of gray area in their statements so far...

I believe this is because they're focused on 2024 and we're focused on what's next for 2020. Both of which are natural.

I don't believe they're being deceptive, but the ongoing support for 2020 actually raises more questions than answers (for me, at least).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

It's definitely NOT a whole new product. Just like X-Plane, Prepar3D, Windows or Mac OS.

They're putting enough new stuff in it to call it new, and so they can charge us for it.

After experiencing multiple "new" versions across various sims, I'm okay with paying for 2024.

And I REALLY want to know if I need two different MSFS installs...i.e., what's different about them if they're going to keep dev'ing v2020...?

Right...not sure if you saw HPGs post as to why it might be an entire new build.  Very interesting to say the least.  I can see if it proves out why you wouldn't be able to simply upgrade over the old install.

I'm perfectly Ok with the new version as well.  I'm even very much OK for them "gamifying" it, so long as the core features for us are improved/fixed.  You really do need mission. goals, etc., in any game title.  It should also bring those users at some point over to the add-on market, in theory.

I'm hoping, you might just be able to copy your community folder outside the old sim, remove the old sim, install the new one, then push the folder back in....hopefully. 

All things being equal and if it's in fact a hardware-based reason for the new sim, is, will your old sim settings/control and view assignments, etc., transfer over?  If they do, then we'd be pretty much gold.  There might be a couple of add-ons you might need to re-install, like utilities and what not, but scenery should be easily transferred over, I would think.  That's going to be the bulk of your add-ons when it comes to the shear amount and what not.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

You don't know any of that for sure. The fact remains that these are real world activities and rushing to call them arcade with no evidence reeks of simmer elitism.

TBH, the included / default aircraft, and even many of the paid Asobo DLCs, are relatively shallow.

And considering what they cost, that's okay.

Especially now that AAUs are a thing 🙂

e.g., I did notice that the SAR helo was absolutely rock steady in the video, even with 350lbs swinging from the hoist and the crew chief leaning out the door...

Maybe they'll fix that by launch (hope so - "unstable" helo flying is part of the fun). 

Just want to keep expectations in line with experience so far.

Tubers won't be interested in MSFS 2024 which is almost a guarantee hence the new version.  Meaning half of this post's remarks can be dismissed.

sp

3 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Tubers won't be interested in MSFS 2024 which is almost a guarantee hence the new version.  Meaning half of this post's remarks can be dismissed.

Curious why you think this.. if improvements to weather (i.e. tornados actually simulated and not scripted/canned), graphics, flight dynamics, etc are coming then tubers definitely would be interested in MSFS 2024 wouldn't they? Unless you're mean if it's just the missions stuff then tubers won't care?

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Curious why you think this.. if improvements to weather (i.e. tornados actually simulated and not scripted/canned), graphics, flight dynamics, etc are coming then tubers definitely would be interested in MSFS 2024 wouldn't they? Unless you're mean if it's just the missions stuff then tubers won't care?

Core changes will most likely make it into the base sim.  So no reason to upgrade for the good (fun) stuff IMO.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

It would be nice if a new sim made it easier for MS to terminate existing contracts and instead use Navigraph and Flightradar as data providers. 

Edited by espent

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

7 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Core changes will most likely make it into the base sim.  So no reason to upgrade for the good (fun) stuff IMO.

Ah ok, you think those changes would be available for MSFS 2020 users too.. ya that would be ideal, but doesn't sound like that's MS/Asobo's plans given that they have mentioned the new-tech "enhanced sim engine" is for 2024.  Anyways, need to wait for more clarity I guess.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

1 hour ago, UrgentSiesta said:

With all due respect, so what? MSFS survives because it makes money. They can't just never release a new version unless you want development to stop eventually.

FSX was not a completely new product. XP12 was not a completely new product. The Asobo engine is the base, and they are going to keep building on that with new versions. They've already said addons will transfer and that the MSFS roadmap will be completed.

With simming, people forget that there's more to a good product than just scenery and airplanes. If MSFS 2024 includes a ton of new career/game elements and some engine improvements, that's a big investment by them and they should be rewarded for that.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My cynical side is whispering to me that this is a MS ploy to nudge folks to buy from the MP.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

- tornado in the trailer is not canned, happens due to simulated weather and atmopshere

Oh my.

51 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Core changes will most likely make it into the base sim.

2024 is the new base sim.

1 hour ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Maybe they'll fix that by launch (hope so - "unstable" helo flying is part of the fun). 

Maybe they added more difficulty options. Or it was staged for the video.

Helisimmer's thoughts on the announcement and trailer: https://www.helisimmer.com/articles/thoughts-msfs-2024-announcement

He ends with this:

When MSFS was first announced, I was skeptical. Microsoft then invited me to take a peek at it back in 2019 and I was overwhelmed by what I saw. The sim has grown on me since its release, and it is taking space in my simming time that I wasn’t expecting it to take. When Drew sent me that message, I wasn’t sure what to expect. And I was both shocked and skeptical until I watched the first few seconds. Firefighting? Hell yeah. Helicopters left, and right? All right, you got me.

Now deliver it, Microsoft, just like you did before.

I am excited about this announcement. Cautiously excited. More than I was with the original announcement of MSFS since Microsoft and Asobo proved what they can do. And no, everything’s not perfect but let’s take a step back and look at what they accomplished so far, with a brand-new sim, absolutely insane technology, and by listening to the community. And yes, I believe they are listening. They may not be able to act upon the feedback they get as fast as we would like – or at all – but I know they are listening since I have been seeing a lot coming to the sim that I may have had a finger (or two) in as I have spoken to Microsoft in the past.

I’m glad things are progressing, and that Microsoft is looking at MSFS as a successful franchise. If they weren’t, a new version would probably not be signed off, but it was and that’s a good sign to me. And that is actually the way I am looking at it: progress. We have no reasons to believe, at this time, that this new version isn't being built on top of the previous one, adding to it, rather than taking things out.

• Like 6

Len