Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

5 hours ago, Rimshot said:

I'm thrilled MSFS gets a successor next year. I really don't get all the dramatic speculation some of you display here...

Simply because they should fix basic-things first. But they weren’t even able to implement a proper replay-function, open their weather-API or simulate inertia. It’s like implementing a fridge in a luxury car before the car gets a GPS or an autoradio (or even wheels). As a guy who flies planes in real, it’s not what i expect from a serious flightsimulator. And i don’t think i will be back to MSFS anytime soon, if they still concentrate on gamey-missions (like GTA V), rather than on the base-aviation-stuff.

Edited by Franz007
  • Like 2

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

3 hours ago, edu2703 said:

On MSFS forum, I just saw a comment from someone who managed to interpret the official announcement about the compatibility of addons as that only addons bought on the marketplace will be compatible while those bought outside won't be... 🙄

And there are still skeptical people about this. Some saying they won't buy any addons until the developer guarantees they won't charge for the upgrade.

To be fair, that is a possible outcome,  it’s not the only possibility, Asobo could have emphasized the Marketplace compatibility just because it’s the only thing they control.  And certainly bean counters at any large corporation would want full control over the third party market, it’s just whether they would survive the fallout if they did it.  You can’t just discount the possibility though.  Worst case scenario is they kill the community folder and disallow addons not bought in the marketplace.  I don’t think they would do that, but certainly there are suits in the Microsoft hierarchy that would want to.

5 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Others, like iniBuilds, Flying Iron Sims, et al, are actively embracing it. And those addons, generally speaking, are much more pleasant to fly - far less "mechanical" feeling than the non-CFDs.

Since i barely touch MSFS now, i can only speak for the iniBuilds A310. Why doesn’t it have inertia (depending on the weight) at all if CFD is supposed to be something that great?

5 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

I fly for real, too. And MSFS is as close as it's ever been to reality, by a LONG shot. I would've positively KILLED for this level of fidelity when I was in training 30 years ago.

I completely disagree, like many professional pilots do. The only thing realistic is the use of satellite ground-textures. Even on my VFR-route, the main landmark is missing (and is there when using XP12 and simheaven). Then the ground behavior is extremely unrealistic, the whole atmosphere is unrealistic (PMDG themselves stated that), there is no simulated density altitude, no wake-turbulences, no impact of big storm-cells on your aircraft. And i don’t even talk about the flightmodel (not all but most of the aircrafts). You must be either joking or aren’t flying planes in real. 

Edited by Franz007
  • Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Prediction:
ATC is going to be fully borked in MSFS2024, just like in MSFS2020.
Weather radar will likely also be semi borked, just like in MSFS2020.
Replay function will not be implemented past developer mode, just like in MSFS2020.
At least half the products on the Marketplace are going to need serious upgrades, and those who don't will disappear.
Third party addons will need to redo a lot of work, and some will have to start from scratch.
Some third party addons like from PMDG and Aerosoft will require re-purchase or upgrade fees. 

I hope I'm wrong about these things, but I don't think I am.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

9 hours ago, The Flight Level said:

I have been wondering if there is a Lear to suddenly appear. There is obviously more aircraft in the works that is kept secret. Given the Lear was one of the original Flight Simulator aircraft, it is surprising it has not surfaced for nostalgic times! Flysimware has the 35A in the works at the present time.

Wait--Flysimware is doing the 35A for MSFS?? Link anyone??

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Some interesting extra bits of info from Phil Spencer et al discussing MSFS 2024 at marked timestamp in video below

Excerpts:
- the team felt there were enough improvements to warrant a new release
- tornado in the trailer is not canned, happens due to simulated weather and atmopshere
- advances in graphics, weather, flight dynamics 
(so as suspected,  this is way more than just missions)

Thanks for that post. I'm also satisfied with the response from the MSFS team. I will continue to buy my addons. I'm looking forward to 2024. Lots of overreaction from some.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

Maybe this announcement is that "infamous" surprise Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft mentioned was coming when Aerosoft announced that they were discontinuing development of the Twin Otter and that more news would coming later - hhhmmmmm

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Can they now really wait until 2024 to release this? The announcement will have had a significant detrimental effect on sales of 2020 itself and all addon purchases. No matter how many more vague and ambiguous reassurances they now issue.

My wallet is now zipped up. Everything is in hiatus.

The sort of statement I want to see is along the lines of - "The following types of addon are not compatible with 2024 ,,,,,,,,,,, 'Remove or uninstall them from your community folder and simply copy and paste the remainder to the new community folder in 2024.'

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

Can they now really wait until 2024 to release this? The announcement will have had a significant detrimental effect on sales of 2020 itself and all addon purchases. No matter how many more vague and ambiguous reassurances they now issue.

My wallet is now zipped up.

I said in a comment before the FAQ's that Asobo basically screwed 3rd party developers because no one else would buy addons until it was clarified that they would work in MSFS 2024.

Now that they said that virtually all addons will work and that marketplace purchases will be transferable, it should have given them some relief, but I still see people pessimistic about it and some will prefer to wait for MSFS 2024 to be released before investing again in addons. Certainly, even with the FAQ, addon sales should drop.

I saw that some developers were quick to say that there will be no upgrade fees for their products. While this seems like a goodwill gesture, there's a business side to it: It's to keep sales flowing in this period of uncertainty and user distrust. Flightbeam even adressed this in their statement:

One particular troublesome issue is once again the notion of MSFS users "freezing" any addon purchases until MSFS 2024. Please support your developers, this is our livelihoods, and the development funding of new products depend on your continued support. Thanks and be sure to hang on tight for this new crazy adventure!

I think third-party devs must be counting the days and rooting for MSFS 2024 to be released as soon as possible. Until then, addon sales will be affected.

16 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You’re missing the point. 

The point seems to be that people are unsatisified with various outstanding issue in the current version of Flight Simulator 2020 and they feel that this is almost a slap in the face from Asobo to have been putting in all this effort into Flight Simulator 2024 when they should be working on the to-do list of open items for FS2020.

If that's not the point, then feel free to clarify.

I still say that is completely unfair, they have every right to release a new version of the simulator after 4 years and if you don't want to buy it, don't buy it.  They said they will continue to work on the outstanding issues in the current product.

I never heard this sort of thing using MSFS literally since the 80s, every single version.  Each one was buggy in its own way but then the next one came out, and it was better.  So it got purchased.  And on, and on, for 20+ years.

But for some reason now, this is different.  You can't do that anymore.  It's not "complete".  It's not "what we paid for".

Then simply refuse to purchase anything further from them, as you would with any other product you are unsatisfied with.

If you look at the entire thing for the marvel of a project that it honestly is, I'd say paying another $70 or whatever for the next version is a no-brainer.  I've paid more than twice that to add on airplanes in other simulators.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

How do you know? I’ve never seen that info made public. 

It was stated in interviews, they also note on the careers page they have 260 employees working on 3 projects, and Microsoft Flight Simulator is the main one.   So that seems about right.

4 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Some interesting extra bits of info from Phil Spencer et al discussing MSFS 2024 at marked timestamp in video below

Excerpts:
- the team felt there were enough improvements to warrant a new release
- tornado in the trailer is not canned, happens due to simulated weather and atmopshere
- advances in graphics, weather, flight dynamics 
(so as suspected,  this is way more than just missions)

I really can't wait for Asobo to give some good detailed previews and deep dives on all the advancements!

I've made numerous, NUMEROUS critiques of MSFS for not utilizing new tech to have funnel clouds and better weather simulation, and dragging their feet on fixing wheel friction / ground handling, and the fact that the default props don't need right rudder for take-off...

And this guy just says "We've been working on all of that, simultaneously, and it's such a big update we're putting a new name to it."

I'm super excited, and I hope this turns out the way this dev has suggested. If so, kudos to Asobo.

• Like 4

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

53 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

At least half the products on the Marketplace are going to need serious upgrades, and those who don't will disappear.
Third party addons will need to redo a lot of work, and some will have to start from scratch.
Some third party addons like from PMDG and Aerosoft will require re-purchase or upgrade fees. 

They already said that most addons should work fine, and nearly every marketplace purchase made in 2020 will transfer over.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They already said that most addons should work fine, and nearly every marketplace purchase made in 2020 will transfer over.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

It's not the Marletplace where the concern lies. Quite a few of my planes won't just transfer for sure. For instance, all Just Flight planes do an external licence check on startup. They will have to be reinstalled. But will JF provide a new installer? Who knows. And for nothing? Why should they? (  Aerosoft also has external licence DRM.)

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

Prediction:
ATC is going to be fully borked in MSFS2024, just like in MSFS2020.
Weather radar will likely also be semi borked, just like in MSFS2020.
Replay function will not be implemented past developer mode, just like in MSFS2020.

I hope I'm wrong about these things, but I don't think I am.

I think you're more right than wrong. The 'career' orientation means ATC, flight dynamics, scenery servers will be of secondary importance. Gamers like goals and gamers is where the money is. And I fail to see why if MS can capitalize on a new sim, why we shouldn't expect the third party add-on makers not to also make some donaro too.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)