Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

19 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

Matt from WT does have a point here: 

CPrjrvQ.png

I don't agree with that point at all. 

MSFS is still a 'full fledged' product, and continues to be sold at it's full price. It's not like a game which is released, and as interest is lost it drops in value. There's such limited choice in flight sims that the price remains high over the life cycle. Anyone coming into the hobby has to pay full price.

There's every possibility that this product is a bit like FSX: Acceleration. A 'sequel' in that it adds content and functionality at a cost, but is built off the original sim and is entirely cross-compatible.

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Go on, I'll get in on the speculation thread. Love a good stab in the dark.

It will be a free update for 2020 owners, to 2024 - as part of their 10 year plan. BUT. Core engine only. You're not going to get any of the new shiny content they're planning on bringing to it, but you will get the core sim and all your FS2020 content. From what I can see this is the same engine 2020 is running on, they're presumably going to ship this with some big updates to the engine, but nothing inherently shockingly different. It's a bug fixing, brush up, and extend exercise, with some sequel branding to it.

Why do I think this?

Well, look at Dovetail Games and what they do with Trainsim. It's updated with a "new title" every year or so, TS2019, TS2020, etc etc etc. Owners of the last title get the new one for free, but none of the new content. Just what they had, and core engine improvements, UI update, QOL updates, new graphics and what have you. But none of the "new" content.

Makes sense from the server/streaming perspective, for cost purposes, to just have everyone on one new platform, instead of trying to support two at once. Also, think about it this way. Why invest a crapload of money into releasing free content like the ini A310, AN225, and having WT update the 787 and all that stuff, if they're just going to throw it out the window next year? And why bother update 2020 even now? And why risk customers not purchasing marketplace content for fear it will be wiped in a year? 

Because it will all probably roll over. Probably.

That's just my guess anyway. The real answer? Who knows. I certainly don't. We'll find out soon though, I bet 🙂

• Like 26
  • Upvote 9

Aamir Thacker

9 minutes ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

I’m so confused. Why are they bringing out a new MSFS when there’s plenty still to fix on the current one, regardless if it’s an add on or not. They can’t even get the ATC right. Have they tried walking before running?

I mean to be honest, x plane is no different.  11 was just a lot of major fixes to 10.  12 brings new atmospheric and lighting but also addresses so of the issues from 11.

Think of the older ESP days of Microsoft.  We had FS98, FS2000, FS2002, 2004 (FS9), FSX etc.  This is 4 years between titles...it's just like the olden days!

They can't make money by giving away a million free world or sim updates with 2020.  When they said 10 year plan I guess now it makes more sense that we'll see a development of MSFS titles over 10 years.  

As long as I can still fly IFR from point A to B with my nice avionics and deep systems addons, I'll be happy.  If asobo/MS address some of the important flight related aspects like airport lighting, weather, ATC, turbulence and water physics along the way, it's a win.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Maybe they're going the FIFA/F1 release schedule and package a "new" game every year/2/3/whatever and flog it full price as they know people will buy it.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 minutes ago, Aamir said:

From what I can see this is the same engine 2020 is running on, they're presumably going to ship this with some big updates to the engine, but nothing inherently shockingly different. It's a bug fixing, brush up, and extend exercise, with some sequel branding to it.

This is my best bet, as well.

1 minute ago, Aamir said:

It will be a free update for 2020 owners, to 2024 - as part of their 10 year plan. BUT. Core engine only. You're not going to get any of the new shiny content they're planning on bringing to it, but you will get the core sim and all your FS2020 content. From what I can see this is the same engine 2020 is running on, they're presumably going to ship this with some big updates to the engine, but nothing inherently shockingly different. It's a bug fixing, brush up, and extend exercise, with some sequel branding to it.

Why do I think this?

Well, look at Dovetail Games and what they do with Trainsim. It's updated with a "new title" every year or so, TS2019, TS2020, etc etc etc. Owners of the last title get the new one for free, but none of the new content. Just what they had, and core engine improvements, UI update, QOL updates, new graphics and what have you. But none of the "new" content.

Makes sense from the server/streaming perspective, for cost purposes, to just have everyone on one new platform, instead of trying to support two at once. Also, think about it this way. Why invest a crapload of money into releasing free content like the ini A310, AN225, and having WT update the 787 and all that stuff, if they're just going to throw it out the window next year? And why bother update 2020 even now? And why risk customers not purchasing marketplace content for fear it will be wiped in a year? 

That's just my guess anyway. The real answer? Who knows. I certainly don't. We'll find out soon though, I bet 🙂

This totally makes sense and it is what I’m expecting to happen. They will have new influx of money and still keeping the user base.

• Like 3

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

1 minute ago, Aamir said:

Why do I think this?

Literally what I said in Fenix discord just the same has Train Sim World.

Its an upgrade, thats my two penneth.

Take this base game and all that comes with it including add ons and marketplace and then give it a next gen upgrade.

Better environmental effects like trees and weather

better humans

a career mode

And then rebadge it as MSFS 2024.

My only concern is the specs. Can they squeeze more life out of the game? Because currently its a bit of a bug fest and certain things don't work as they should, as is. then you get Xbox which this is clearly aimed at and that still struggles to work as it should on that hardware.

Interesting times.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

For me too.

As long as my beloved Longitude is there, i'll be there. 😄

Same!

Alienware m15 R7: Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windows 11 Home.

MacBook Air: M1, 2020 (7-core GPU), 8GB unified memory, macOS Ventura

iMac: mid-2017, Core i5 3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 555 2GB, macOS Ventura.

Sims: MSFS, X-Plane 10, 11 & 12.

2 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Regardless of what it is, sticking out a trailer with absolutely no information is pretty poor.......

That's usually how announcement trailers work. To generate hype, information comes later on.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Regardless of what it is, sticking out a trailer with absolutely no information is pretty poor.......

I think it's smart....cues up a lot of views, speculation, and chatter haha 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

The funny thing is when they do communicate it's pretty poor anyway, see the VR announcement for a perfect example of how they ballsed that one up!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 minute ago, ryanbatc said:

I think it's smart....cues up a lot of views, speculation, and chatter haha 

Well it's made me try and take my own life as it's triggered my depression as I'm so confused, upset and scared!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

That's usually how announcement trailers work. To generate hype, information comes later on.

On a new product, yes. If this was the 'original' MSFS announcement trailer then that would be absolutely fine.

As a 'sequel' to a product, which a MS employee has stated is a separate product, based on a sim that many have spent thousands on with the promise of long-lasting support, it's a bit short sighted.

Literally all it would take is a tweet from Asobo to the effect of;

"We're excited about the announcement of MSFS 2024, which adds missions, aircraft, sceneries and new technologies to our FS2020 platform. FS2024 will be entirely cross-compatible with all your favorite existing add-ons."

Of course that might not be true, but it's a very simple thing which would completely allay any fears....

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4