Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

PMDG statement on V6

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

what if they actually changed something in the flight dynamics, towards a more sophisticated engine?

Highly unlikely to be the case IMO, a couple of the various reasons:

• they have been with the ESP/FSX engine for multiple versions/years, why didn't they address such flight dynamics improvements all this time?
  • if they had done such improvements, then surely that would've been called out in the V6 trailer one would think

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Highly unlikely to be the case IMO, a couple of the various reasons:

• they have been with ESP/FSX engine for multiple versions/years, why didn't they address such flight dynamics improvements all this time?
  • if they had done such improvements, then surely that would've been called out in the V6 trailer one would think

Yep, now for sure, because I just learned it has been released AND I just read the Release Notes...

Nothing changed regarding flight dynamics.

Looks like it brings interesting changes to weather modelling though, but it's not easy to evaluate from the Release Notes.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

In my view, based on the release notes, the third party developers who are not supporting v6 are absolutely full of it. Nothing in those release notes looks like a big deal for third party developers to me. Perhaps just some tuning of the lighting or something to match the more advanced lighting enhancements. I suspect they want to force us to rebuy on "the other sim".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gumerson said:

So why Majestic Dash 8Q400 is compatible and really have a P3Dv6 installer? Why FSDTGSX LEVEL 2 too?

6 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

That is an interesting question. Makes me wonder if some devs are just creating false pretenses...

Majestic is heavily involved in the Commercial / Professional training market. So as such, their priority is coding their software so that maintains compatibility with the core simulator. This is in the best interest of their Commercial customers, and by extension, themselves.
This also benefits their Consumer customers (if nothing else, this one excellent airliner is a good enough reason for me to upgrade to v6)!
Also don't forget that Majestic have no product yet available for MSFS (another indicator of how important the Commercial market is for them). So they HAVE to ensure the P3D versions advance with as few problems as possible.
Like it or not, PMDG is serving the demands of the (new, vastly greater) majority of their customer base, which is in MSFS. And they said as much: 1% of their cash flow is coming from P3D...
Given the similar actions of the majority of other 3PDs, why is this a surprise to...ANYONE?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Balint Szarka said:

While I believe in some way there might be some things they would have to be tuned but I don’t completely believe them about their planes being completely not compatible. It’s more of a, we want to focus on MSFS and we can’t be bothered checking whether what we need to do them and just quickly do it.

Consider the high likelihood that much of PMDG's code is highly customized (we have seen as much in their extended development saga for MSFS).

So any time a major new sim version comes out, it is their own code which is incompatible.

We saw VERY similar patterns of behavior from MilViz, et al in the transition from v4x to v5x and all for the same reasons.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CaptainAddOn said:

In my view, based on the release notes, the third party developers who are not supporting v6 are absolutely full of it. Nothing in those release notes looks like a big deal for third party developers to me. Perhaps just some tuning of the lighting or something to match the more advanced lighting enhancements. I suspect they want to force us to rebuy on "the other sim".

I know that the notes say one thing but didn't PMDG say they did a drag and drop into v6, which I'm sure they had prior to release, and discovered things that would have to be fixed? I'm sure will see some users try and port the 737 over to v6 and maybe will get a much clearer picture of what they saw. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

@CaptainAddOn, how about…

• Added precipitation pooling and ripple effects.
  • Precipitation accumulation and evaporation is now supported.
  • Added precipitation effects to airport surfaces, airport objects, autogen buildings, bridges, and fences.
  • Updated global buildings to PBR textures.
  • Updated global airport data and airport backgrounds.
  • Improved land class terrain texture detail.

I would suggest those are significant improvements or new features. Snowfall accumulating and then it melting.

PBR effects on city buildings should improve realism. All airports updated and land class. The weather has been improved together with airports, cities and major airports.

The overall effect could be significant. You’ll only know after screen shots are released.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No doubt there are improvements there, but I fail to see how these impacts the aircraft instead of just the terrain/scenery. Visibility of precipitation on the runway or the PBR materials on autogen buildings seem to be to have nothing to do with aircraft add-ons. Perplexingly, the developer who seems to not be complaining about how much they are impacted is Orbx.

12 minutes ago, CaptainAddOn said:

No doubt there are improvements there, but I fail to see how these impacts the aircraft instead of just the terrain/scenery.

It’s up to aircraft developers to add PBR effects. I know FSL are doing it for their forthcoming Concorde but for v5. They have yet to announce anything for v6.

We know PMDG’s response. PBR effects on aircraft can only be assessed with before and after shots.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am a little bit disappointed, I have to say. I do most of my simulation stuff on PMDG aircraft.

PMDG is looking after #1... Fair enough...it is their choice. I am not convinced about their explanation but no point worrying about that. Once again they have made their choice.

MSFS I don't like, so as far as as I am concerned, I will keep on using P3D v5 with all the addons I have. Not very exciting but that will do. No point getting v6 "just to see what it is like". So, as things stand today, this is the end of the road for P3D. No more prospects to evolve, update...it has no future.

• Like 1

Visit my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/Captain Nav

Follow me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/captainnav

I will keep V5 with all its great add-ins on my computer but I will buy V6 and see where it goes. Still very pleased  V5. My computer is out for hardware upgrades (7800x3d etc) and when it comes back I’ll have four good size M.2 drives so I’ll have the space. Always liked the wx radar depiction in V5 so I’m interested what they’ve done with it in V6.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stormyflyer said:

Using your logic, FS9,FSX users should be getting the best treatment of all users since thats when PMDG started making fully featured aircrafts, they are the ones that basically help make PMDG who they are today. But thats not the case is it....

Flight simmers buy these products, regardless of whichever platform you use (FS9,FSX,P3D,MSFS). Right now it makes sense for them to focus on the next platform. 

Also the idea that P3D and MSFS users are entirely different people - there's plenty of us who bought PMDG addons for FSX, and then bought PMDG addons for P3D, and are now buying them for MSFS. I'm certainly a 'loyal' PMDG customer who is very happy that they are catering to those of us who have been 'loyal' to them from platform to platform as times change and technology moves on.

Edited by Stavros
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

1 minute ago, fnav77 said:

Possibly off topic but any news from other devs now that v6 is out and NDA's should not apply anymore? IFly, QW, etc...and scenery devs?

Ifly already stated that they might update their products to 6.0 but after the Ifly 737 MAX will be released.

QW, well, no sign of life more almost two years. draw your own conclusions.