Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Some observations on what impacts FPS

3 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What settings do you suggest I tweak and to what levels?  I'd like to try and minimize the impact of FSLTL while keeping some traffic active to make it feel like a real world.

I haven't had time to really dig into it -- basically I cut the # of aircraft about in half, for now, when I was troubleshooting iniBuilds KJFK.

There are a number of threads here, and on the official forums, and YT vids about FSLTL performance settings.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, abennett said:

Also the tree mod which allowed trees to be drawn to the horizon was amazing.

I remember that too, I don't think the sim ever looked better, and that tree mod didn't take any performance hit either, I always wondered why Asobo ruined it.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | Seasonic Vertex 1000W I LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 hours ago, mryan75 said:

stutter-free 30-35 FPS

Personally, it is all about smoothness.  At 30-35fps, I find panning using a Trackir to be jerky, plus that fps range is noticable less fluid (but stutter free) than 40fps on my system.  I can run at 58fps 99% of the time, but 40fps virtually all of the time.

I find I need to run between high and ultra settings for a fluid and stutter free experience at 40fps.  I can run with everything on ultra, but I would have to set my fps to 30 to achive that, but then the experience is less fluid

3 hours ago, mryan75 said:

Now what I do is this thing called "flying", where you load an aircraft, pick two airports, and fly from one to the other without obssessing over things you can't see ("No really, I can!!!")

On my system I can most likely see/not see things you can/can't on yours, and this will be the same for just about everyone.  Unless you have seen MSFS on everybodies PC in this thread, your sarcasm is wide of the mark.  Your use of the word 'obsession' is probably not applicable to most on this forum, unless of course you know them personally.  I so far have flown in MSFS for 2,400 hours and spent a fraction of that reading about and trying suggestions to get a smooth experience at the highest visual fidelity I can.

I must thank @Noel specifically for the advice in this thread - since MSFS was released, the advice in that thread has given me the smoothest experience so far, with higher settings to boot!

• Like 1

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

Well this post answered my questions. I was super on the fence of going for a 7950X3D and 4090 to upgrade from my 5900X and 3070 Ti but it sounds like I would be pretty disappointed. Frame gen is the only reason I would get a 40 series, but DLSS on Quality with my 3070 Ti looks so bad (esp the gauges) I can't imagine how bad frame gen must be.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti

Game installed on 980 PRO

Main display Gigabyte M27Q X 27" 1440p 240Hz

39 minutes ago, M3Stang said:

Well this post answered my questions. I was super on the fence of going for a 7950X3D and 4090 to upgrade from my 5900X and 3070 Ti but it sounds like I would be pretty disappointed. Frame gen is the only reason I would get a 40 series, but DLSS on Quality with my 3070 Ti looks so bad (esp the gauges) I can't imagine how bad frame gen must be.

Its not bad at all.  FG with TAA is a game changer.  I used to think the same when i had my 3080 and tried DLSS.  But DLSS with FG and TAA looks the same as plain TAA as far as screen sharpness.  I stepped up to a 4070 (which is kind of side ways without FG) just for FG and don't regret it at all.  Now i'm looking to go 4090 just to combat airports like inibuilds JFK because the 4070 helped a lot there, but still struggles. 

Framegen with TAA works great. I have a 4090 + 5800x3D and have never had performance anywhere close to what I get now. It's amazing. If you have the budget, I would highly recommend it. 

5800X3d, 4090, 32GB, 4 TB NVME (2x2), 4K Ultra + Framegen

I have said this many times in the past, the simulator performance is all about SMOOTHNESS, and not about getting 60 or 90 or 120 frames.  Sure, I could get 60 frames on my system, bu the stutters would come back, instead I have my frames locked at 40 and pretty much its a butter smooth flight, For example, leaving out of KORD, and flying into KEWR/Inibuilds,  with most graphic setings on Ultra and High, TLOD at 150, about a 90 minute flight with the PMDG 737-800 and usually about 3 stutters during the entire flight.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

4 minutes ago, Sunshine13 said:

I have said this many times in the past, the simulator performance is all about SMOOTHNESS, and not about getting 60 or 90 or 120 frames.  Sure, I could get 60 frames on my system, bu the stutters would come back, instead I have my frames locked at 40 and pretty much its a butter smooth flight, For example, leaving out of KORD, and flying into KEWR/Inibuilds,  with most graphic setings on Ultra and High, TLOD at 150, about a 90 minute flight with the PMDG 737-800 and usually about 3 stutters during the entire flight.

more succinctly it is *where* and *when* the stutters happen: critical phase of flight

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Sunshine13 said:

I gather by smoothness you mean lack of stutters? Or maybe consistency? Because for me, smoothness is what I want when I pan my head around the cockpit and look out the window of my aircraft at the sights below. And that is best measured in FPS.

When flying IFR, staring at a PFD/MFD/FMS or some clouds most of the time, 30 FPS is plenty.

But flying VFR in a helicopter or fast moving turboprop, I simply can’t stand the lack of “smoothness” you get below 50-60FPS… 40FPS just doesn’t cut it for me. I’d rather deal with the occasional stutter than having to constantly deal with 40FPS when looking around.

We’re all different… we fly different planes for different purposes… and need/want different performance to make us happy. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

more succinctly it is *where* and *when* the stutters happen: critical phase of flight

This is the real problem. It seems when the high detail version of the airport is loaded by the sim, you’re going to take a massive hit and likely experience a stutter… and that’s on final approach 😕

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TENPATROL said:

I don't have to prove anything to anyone 😉

MSFS Ultra settings 2K, TLOD 285, OLOD 200, TAA,  vsync -on, frame rate limit 33% max 48FPS - stutter-free 😉

Gaming rig:

•  

I'll try 285, until now I just tried 300 and 400 and concluded that it's not worth it.

In your case I think that also the 4090 plays a role, do you have frame gen on?

Also, why don't you update to Windows 11? It has better support for your 13900K.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

the stutters on my flight from KORDt to KEWR, comes from Inibuilds scenery,  I get no stutters of the approach, and on Final,  Specifically what ever stutters  that I get on this flight come when I approach the airport terminals, and thats where the eye candy comes in.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

'Stutter' has to be THE most used word in the history of FlightSim. 😁 They will never be eradicated. I hope they are, but, I can not see it. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

'Stutter' has to be THE most used word in the history of FlightSim. 😁 They will never be eradicated. I hope they are, but, I can not see it. 

I think the fact that we could create a bingo card for MSFS shows exactly where it is on it's evolution path.
Hopefully they can change a very much loved caterpillar into a butterfly with MSFS2024!  :biggrin:

FPS would be removed from my bingo card now, as it is not a problem for me or most it seems, but from what I see almost every day on the forums, we could add: -

Stuttering, Freeze, Live Weather, Lost Connection, Server Down, Tile Swapping, CTD, Rolling Cache, Missing Texture, Control Settings Lost, GPU Error, Regression, Safe Mode.

Apparently you need fifteen for a bingo card, so we aren't doing to badly!  :laugh:

PS.  Some people will take this post far too seriously...

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.