Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Blacksquare TBM 850 released

45 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Is IAS mode on the AP working for anyone else ?

It just levels out the plane for me and only VS mode with the separate controller seems to control pitch.

Working fine for me. Just set it climbing out of KMIA. Holding 160 true, climbing at about 1200 FPM.

-B

• Like 2

First impressions are very good. Numbers seems to be on point, AP works well and it feels good to hand fly too. Haven't noticed any strange behaviour yet, but I'm just halfway into flight 2 here.

• Like 2

-Henrik

i7 9600K  -  RTX 2080  -  32gb DDR4  -  Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

3 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

It's a really neat plane, enjoying flying it. just a tiny bit disappointed about the boots not inflating, but otherwise it seems like a solid purchase. Very much looking forward to the Duke as well.

They don’t inflate? The default 930 boots inflate, that’s sorta odd. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

This is kind of a dumb question for a high-fidelity plane like this but does the co-pilot show up in-cockpit?

TRIM:  I find my default trim is significantly out of the green band when spawning on RWY.  I have no idea what initial trim should be. Any suggestions?

TIA,

-B

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Do you happen to be using one of my paints?  

Nope. just the default liveries so far.

27 minutes ago, btacon said:

TRIM:  I find my default trim is significantly out of the green band when spawning on RWY.  I have no idea what initial trim should be. Any suggestions?

TIA,

-B

I´m not sure what the green elevator trim markings are indicating - Takeoff trim range ?

If so, then I feel there is too much down trim for the takeoffs I have made so far.

Apart from this (maybe lacking knowledge on my part) a really great Aircraft.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

5 hours ago, klamal said:

He's got something coming still with his new job.  Sounds like they are ok with him continuing the YouTube/social media thing.  His latest video was flying a TBM 960, I believe so maybe he's moving to that?

He said in that TBM 960 video that was NOT his future gig.

Todd

Edited by TPerson
  • Like 1

Has anyone had issues with fps dropping to single digits so far? Did my first flight today EDDK - LSGG, in VR. I have the TDS GTN in use. First thirty minutes went very well, everything nice and smooth. Then the stutters set in, had to abort the flight after fps became unflyable. Switching the radio master off and on again did not help. 17 13700, rtx 480, 32 gig RAM, Reverb G2

Regards

10 minutes ago, daowl24 said:

Has anyone had issues with fps dropping to single digits so far? Did my first flight today EDDK - LSGG, in VR. I have the TDS GTN in use. First thirty minutes went very well, everything nice and smooth. Then the stutters set in, had to abort the flight after fps became unflyable. Switching the radio master off and on again did not help. 17 13700, rtx 480, 32 gig RAM, Reverb G2

Regards

Did you do the performance suggestions at the TDS forum? http://forum.tdssim.com/thread-210-post-1190.html

I have a similar system and also use the G2 on occasion.  As long as the exclusions are in place I have no issues.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thank you very much Ryan, I will try this. I have owned the GTN addon for some time now, but never really used it until now, with the new TBM.

Is everyone running the FDE mod with the *stock* TBM and Longitude still or do either have conflicts/issues in SU13?

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Is everyone running the FDE mod with the *stock* TBM and Longitude still or do either have conflicts/issues in SU13?

Shouldn't affect anything.  This TBM 850 is from scratch.  Oh as a side note, WT does not recommend usage of the Longitude flight model mod anymore.  They basically have it setup per book numbers on their end.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

12 minutes ago, daowl24 said:

Thank you very much Ryan, I will try this. I have owned the GTN addon for some time now, but never really used it until now, with the new TBM.

If you do run into issues try their Discord...they are very attentive over there

https://discord.gg/pg3y4FtC

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

6 hours ago, Torsen said:

Very nice model and the cockpit is really sexy...

BUT visuals are only one part.

hot starting brings the health down to 20%... usually in real life one hotstart is the death

set the sea level OAT to 34°C and go up to lets say FL290... it will not be ITT limited and you can go up with the throttle firewalled. I doubt this would work in real world...

leave the starter on beyond 30 seconds... usually the death for the starter and generator afaik... nothing happens...

Just some findings on a first quick flight.

Looking good, feeling good, high potential but needs some more love 😉

Cheers T.

Here is a reply direct from the developer on this and there's some general feedback in here too that covers some later feedback:

"hot starting brings the health down to 20"  -  The system is designed to adhere to the starting limitations in the POH, which dictates that temperatures >870°C are acceptable for 20 seconds, and >1000°C are acceptable for 5 seconds max.  If these hotter than normal temperatures are "acceptable" in the POH, then they should only accrue very minor damage to the engine.  I can assure you that a 2-3 second exceedance of >1,200°C will drive the engine condition to zero.

"it will not be ITT limited and you can go up with the throttle firewalled"  -  The current behavior seems to match every TBM 850 video I've found online, but feel free to supply more.  ITT will actually be more limiting at cooler ambient temperatures, when the high bleed air setting is required.  Currently, ITT becomes limiting in a cruise climb at ISA with high bleed around FL260.

An example from a Steveo video:  30,000ft, TQ=90%, RPM=2,000, OAT=-26°C, Bleed=Auto, ITT=800°C.  Under the exact same conditions, the resulting ITT with the TBM 850 in MSFS is 804°C.

"leave the starter on beyond 30 seconds"  -  In a turbine aircraft, the starter current decreases to near zero when the engine has lit-off.  The starter damage calculation is based on current, so dry cranking the starter for >30 seconds continuously will result in a hot starter (there is an annunciator for this in several of my other aircraft), and running the starter for 60-120 seconds will definitely result in a starter-generator failure.  You can monitor the starter's heat accumulation with L:var_starterInUseSeconds, if you are interested.  The name ("seconds") is a misnomer brought over from earlier aircraft.

Also, a note on a later remark that failures in flight sim are "very cut and dry ie parameter X exceeded= failure"  -  All of the failures in my aircraft are based on some type of response curve, so there should never be an instantaneous failure based on a single parameter.  For example, let's look at a moderate cruise/climb ITT exceedance.  At 865°C, the engine will accrue ~1% damage at this setting for every minute of operation.  This means you can fly for over an hour before engine performance will begin to degrade, and it will be unlikely to fail completely from this point, due to the reduction in power.  If you somehow continued operation at these temperatures, the engine would fail completely in another 20 minutes.  As the ITT exceedance becomes more severe, more damage is done, and large ITT exceedances over 1,090°C will fail the engine in a matter of seconds.  Some exceedances, like propeller RPM, are even more gradual, and will have almost no effect on engine condition for small to moderate exceedances.  I also find that there is an interesting psychological effect to having the ability to monitor engine health by a percentage.  In real life, we might say, "he ran that engine hard, and it didn't fail for 3,000+ hours."  That means the engine arrived at 0% condition at the end of those 3,000 hours, but it was accumulating damage during the rest of the time.  In fact, it was flying at <20% "health" for the last 500 hours of its life.

I hope this small look into the engine damage modeling of this product has been interesting, if nothing else.  I am constantly reading these forums and looking for ideas for big improvements, or even just small convenience features to make someone's day.  Thank you all so much for your contributions, and feel free to contact Just Flight with any further suggestions or performance information that you might have.  Happy flying!

Hope this helps.

• Like 20